189 pr visa expiring May 2021

Hi 

Just wondering if anyone would know if it’s possible to keep PR 189 Visa for longer?

we lived in Australia almost a year 2018 - we then returned due to unforeseen circumstance to the uk - our pr 189 visa expires May 2021 - is there a way we can keep it ( we may All ( fam of 5) want to move back 2023 - would it fit instance be possible if we all & stay for a month before expiry date & then one adult stay on in australia family joining later? 

Is it possible/ or have we missed the boat?

Grateful for advice!

Yes that’s true, might be difficult to book a flight & If even possible prices may be skyhigh. I wonder should circumstances turn out that way or similar if immi gov would allow extension of dates for PR’s who due to poss above reasons may not make it back before their date of return expires....🤔🤔 

5 hours ago, Possible? said:

Ie I was assuming we would be fine should we all return prior to expire date and stay... ? Or do we still need to apply for return visa?

Yes, if you all arrive before the expiry date, then your visa stays valid and you can live in Australia forever.   Your travel facility would've expired, though - that means you won't be able to leave the country, even for a holiday,  for a year or two (and then you'll have to apply for a RRV before you do).

Under normal circumstances, if you get a 189 visa and don't use it within the five years, you've lost it.  You can apply for a Resident Return Visa (RRV) and you might get a one-year extension - BUT you have to show "strong ties of benefit to Australia".    That means things like having a job offer, or having close family members in Australia, or having a property or investments in Australia.   If you don't have any ties to Australia then you wouldn't stand much chance. 

It's possible that because of the Coronavirus, they'll be lenient about arrival dates - we just don't know yet.  But if they are, the best you'll get is a short extension.  I very much doubt they'd look kindly on giving you an extra couple of years so you can arrive in 2023.

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks for reply Maria,

i wider if you would be allowed to travel to

new zeeland those first 2 years ?

also am I right in thinking to apply for citizenship- - you need to have been in Australia for 3 years consecutively?  Or is it 5? Thanks for any info!

🤔

You can travel (under normal circumstances) anywhere, at any time. You need to spend 2 years cumulatively in Australia, in the last 5, to be eligible for an 'automatic' RRV. You are eligible for one before this if you have "substantial ties" to Australia, which are "of benefit to" Australia.

I'd suggest a short professional consultation so that you understand how all this works and how it may affect you and your family.

Edited by paulhand

10 hours ago, Possible? said:

i wider if you would be allowed to travel to

new zeeland those first 2 years ?

also am I right in thinking to apply for citizenship- - you need to have been in Australia for 3 years consecutively?  Or is it 5? Thanks for any info!

Let's say you arrive in Australia just before your expiry date (May 2021).   Now you're in Australia, but you've got no travel facility.  You can't apply for one, either, because you don't qualify.  That means that if you leave Australia for any reason, you will not be allowed back into the country.  New Zealand is a separate country - so no, you can't go there either. 

Once you are settled in Australia, you have a home, a job, bank accounts, the kids are in school - then you can claim you have genuine "strong ties to Australia", and you would stand a good chance of getting a RRV without having to wait for the two years residency requirement.