AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

Hi, 

Just a quick question about the application for citizenship. 

My partner and I are de facto with two children. We have applied for all previous visas together on the same application but this time I can't see anywhere to add her. 

Do we have to apply individually? 

Might be a silly question but hope some one can clear it up for me 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Scott 2020 said:

Hi, 

Just a quick question about the application for citizenship. 

My partner and I are de facto with two children. We have applied for all previous visas together on the same application but this time I can't see anywhere to add her. 

Do we have to apply individually? 

Might be a silly question but hope some one can clear it up for me 

Thanks 

Yes, separate per applicant over 16 years of age. 

Hi All - 

Do we know whether Melbourne City Council is currently doing virtual ceremonies? I hear Melbourne City Council is canceling the in-person ceremonies but have not heard anything about online virtual ceremonies. 

Most of the councils in NSW seem to be doing virtual ceremonies and things seems to be moving much faster.

Is there a way to confirm or request that Melbourne City Council supports virtual ceremonies given the lockdowns are likely going to continue for some time?

Thank you.

Hello Friends,

Recently I have changed address within Southbank(Comes under Melbourne council) I have updated my new address in Immi account using "Change of address" along with attaching address proof. As my new address comes under same council. Is there any chance my Ceremony call list go backwards?

Citizenship applied: 6 May 2020

Test - 26 April 2021 - Approved on same day

Invitation call - Waiting 🙂

2 hours ago, Tzhamzl_tn74 said:

Hello Friends,

Recently I have changed address within Southbank(Comes under Melbourne council) I have updated my new address in Immi account using "Change of address" along with attaching address proof. As my new address comes under same council. Is there any chance my Ceremony call list go backwards?

Citizenship applied: 6 May 2020

Test - 26 April 2021 - Approved on same day

Invitation call - Waiting 🙂

Vanakkam!

Based on the date you submitted your change of address, your file will be allocated to the new council and you won't retain your spot. you will join the queue. 

source: personal experience.

Regards,

TN21 guy :D

On 08/09/2021 at 12:59, Gracee said:

So it has been 8 months now since I received my citizenship approval back in January 2021 and I have not received a ceremony invite yet. I live in Brisbane (North). Is it ok to ring Brisbane City Council? And is anyone here living in Brisbane and also waiting for your ceremony invite?

Hi,

I was approved in early December last year and had my citizenship ceremony two weeks ago, in Brisbane.

hopefully your invitation will come any day now.

On 04/12/2020 at 21:22, 04April2017DE said:

Kia Ora mate congrats. I am waiting for mine to come through. I applied in March 2020

hi hi, a quick question on your timeline. You moved to australia in June 2016 and applied in March 2020, that is less than 4 years residence requirement. Was this accepted? thank you 

5 hours ago, Aus2021 said:

Hi, 

I just had my virtual ceremony, I was approved in March 2021. Council is city of Melbourne 

Congrats Mate! You are lucky. I got mine approved on 5 Feb 2021 and still waiting from to hear back from City of Melbourne. They did schedule 2 inperson ceremony invites in mid August & 15 Sep, but both got cancelled due to lockdown.

When did you get your Virtual Ceremony invite? Did you separately request for it?

@Melb User I requested for a VC back in July and August but had received a carefully worded but reasonable rejection email because I didn’t have a compelling reason. This time around I didn’t request for a VC but I am glad I did get one a week ago from virtual.ceremony.vic@homesffairs.gov.au, also note that I never received an in person ceremony invite before. I am not sure the delay for you is because it’s the council responsibility now to conduct your ceremony since you are in their list already? Worth just ringing them or log a query with Lord Mayor on their website

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Aus2021 said:

@Melb User I requested for a VC back in July and August but had received a carefully worded but reasonable rejection email because I didn’t have a compelling reason. This time around I didn’t request for a VC but I am glad I did get one a week ago from virtual.ceremony.vic@homesffairs.gov.au, also note that I never received an in person ceremony invite before. I am not sure the delay for you is because it’s the council responsibility now to conduct your ceremony since you are in their list already? Worth just ringing them or log a query with Lord Mayor on their website

@Aus2021, Thanks for the info.

From your other response, where Ceremony had only presiding officer and yourself, it looks like the council did not conduct it and its directly from immigration.
Usually Council ceremonies will have more candidates in Virtual ceremony is what i heard. I will check this out.

Edited by Melb User

On 13/09/2021 at 20:32, Tzhamzl_tn74 said:

Vannakkam,

When I applied I was staying at Pcode 3000 then at the time of Interview I moved to 3006 now during Ceremony waiting period I moved within 3006. All comes under same Melbourne council. Lets See what next 🙂

If you're within the same council, you wont lose your spot in the queue. Hope you get your ceremony sooner! Good luck.

6 hours ago, Melb User said:

@Aus2021, Thanks for the info.

From your other response, where Ceremony had only presiding officer and yourself, it looks like the council did not conduct it and its directly from immigration.
Usually Council ceremonies will have more candidates in Virtual ceremony is what i heard. I will check this out.

Just wanted to share an update, I got when contacting City of Melbourne:

They confirmed that there was no online ceremony yesterday. So, as suspected @Aus2021 ceremony would have been directly done by Department of Home Affairs, since he had requested a Virtual Ceremony few months back.

City of Melbourne mentioned they are currently in the process of creating multi-candidate online citizenship ceremonies and will email invitations once they are ready.
If we have queries regarding when we will be selected for an online Citizenship ceremony, they mentioned we need to contact the Department of Home Affairs.

Hope everyone gets their ceremony invite soon. I will also update if I get any invite.

Edited by Melb User
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Melb User said:

Just wanted to share an update, I got when contacting City of Melbourne:

They confirmed that there was no online ceremony yesterday. So, as suspected @Aus2021 ceremony would have been directly done by Department of Home Affairs, since he had requested a Virtual Ceremony few months back.

City of Melbourne mentioned they are currently in the process of creating multi-candidate online citizenship ceremonies and will email invitations once they are ready.
If we have queries regarding when we will be selected for an online Citizenship ceremony, they mentioned we need to contact the Department of Home Affairs.

Hope everyone gets their ceremony invite soon. I will also update if I get any invite.

Thank you so much for updating. You are very kind. Wish you all the best.

• Like 1

Hi all. I'm a bit unsure whether it's necessary to specifically request a virtual ceremony, or whether this will automatically happen? Or does it vary from council to council? I can't find any info on this anywhere.

I gather that in ordinary times this is an exceptional request but obviously it is the norm now.

I note that @Melb User had requested one above, was denied, then got one anyway, so I'm not quite sure what this means and whether it would be different where I am (which is Woollahra, NSW).

Thanks very much!

Edited by Mmmbop

18 minutes ago, Mmmbop said:

Hi all. I'm a bit unsure whether it's necessary to specifically request a virtual ceremony, or whether this will automatically happen? Or does it vary from council to council? I can't find any info on this anywhere.

I gather that in ordinary times this is an exceptional request but obviously it is the norm now.

I note that @Melb User had requested one above, was denied, then got one anyway, so I'm not quite sure what this means and whether it would be different where I am (which is Woollahra, NSW).

Thanks very much!

@Mmmbop Just to Clarify 🙂,  its @Aus2021 user who mentioned they had requested Virtual Ceremony before and had the ceremony recently. 

1 hour ago, Melb User said:

@Mmmbop Just to Clarify 🙂,  its @Aus2021 user who mentioned they had requested Virtual Ceremony before and had the ceremony recently. 

Oh right, thanks!

I actually just spoke to the Department of Home Affairs.

They said it's council by council, each council is responsible for scheduling it's own online ceremonies according to its capacity. At that point they let the DHA know, who provide lists of people.

Councils then invite people to submit an expression of interest, and are placed in a queue.

I also spoke to Woollahra Council, who confusingly told me the opposite. They said the DHA gives them the dates for ceremonies. They currently don't have any upcoming dates for online listed on their website, so that's not great.

In all of this there doesn't seem to be any way/need to 'submit a request'.

If anyone has any insight they can shed on any of this that'd be great. Cheers. 

UPDATE: Spoke to the council as well, they are emailing DHA to see where I'm sitting in the queue. So that might be an option for others who are wondering where they are as well.

Edited by Mmmbop