AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

On 09/08/2021 at 14:50, ToowoombaBlue said:

Every day I read posts from people getting more and more impatient that the date for their citizenship ceremony hasn’t been set.

Whats the rush? Why are people so keen to get the process completed, the test has been passed, most likely the status on the Immi account has been changed to approved, so why are people so desperate? 

Id be interested to know other peoples views, I’m waiting for my ceremony, but am not expecting it to happen for at least 6-8 months and that’s being optimistic!

Here are some of the reasons why:

1. You can't get the VET loan as has been pointed by @Athens07 
2. You can't properly accept defence job 
3. You can't accept some government projects if you are in IT
4. You can't move to another area because your queue will be either lost or waiting time prolonged
5. You can't leave the country without having lots of issues getting your citizenship afterwards, ask @Ding

And this is all just for a 15 minutes virtual call where you say: Yes.

Basically people have to put on hold their life, career, plans for another half a year just to confirm something they have already committed for all these years. For those that already got approved - the most complicated part.

During the COVID times this process should be completely redefined, it is not how it has been before. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Narito87 said:

Here are some of the reasons why:

1. You can't get the VET loan as has been pointed by @Athens07 
2. You can't properly accept defence job 
3. You can't accept some government projects if you are in IT
4. You can't move to another area because your queue will be either lost or waiting time prolonged
5. You can't leave the country without having lots of issues getting your citizenship afterwards, ask @Ding

That's all true.  However, apart from the first one (the VET loan), you don't have to put your life on hold for any of the rest.  There are thousands of people living in Australia who never get around to getting citizenship, they live on their PR visa their whole lives. 

Defence and government jobs are only a small percentage of the jobs available in Australia, unless you live in Canberra.  Find other work.

Moving to another area may mean a delay in your citizenship grant, but it's just a delay.  If you're getting on with your life, it doesn't matter.

If you leave the country, your citizenship application stops.  That's the way it works for a good reason. The Australian government wants to ensure that people are getting citizenship for the right reasons, i.e. because they want to make a life in Australia.  If you leave to live in your own country again, then the citizenship application can't proceed.  It's frozen until you return.  They can't just take your word for it that you're planning to return.  All you can do is ensure you have a RRV in place and that you return before it expires. 

G’day everyone,

After nearly five years since I first came to Australia, I am now an Australian Citizen!

First arrival: 26 Sep 2016

PR lodged: Oct 2017

PR (187) approved: Oct 2018

Citizenship application lodged: 28 Oct 2020

Citizenship test and interview: 22 Feb 2021

Ceremony Invitation received: 15 Jul 2021

Citizenship Ceremony: 10 Aug 2021

Canberra, ACT

Thank you everyone for sharing your insights and tips in this forum. They truly helped!

All the best to everyone!

• Congratulations 1

Hi All,

An update from Melbourne (City of Yarra council), I  applied for citizenship in April 2020, test done and approved in April 2021.

I received an email from the department on Aug 10th offering an online ceremony and this was conducted on 11th August.

On 11/08/2021 at 15:03, Marisawright said:

That's all true.  However, apart from the first one (the VET loan), you don't have to put your life on hold for any of the rest.  There are thousands of people living in Australia who never get around to getting citizenship, they live on their PR visa their whole lives. 

Defence and government jobs are only a small percentage of the jobs available in Australia, unless you live in Canberra.  Find other work.

Moving to another area may mean a delay in your citizenship grant, but it's just a delay.  If you're getting on with your life, it doesn't matter.

If you leave the country, your citizenship application stops.  That's the way it works for a good reason. The Australian government wants to ensure that people are getting citizenship for the right reasons, i.e. because they want to make a life in Australia.  If you leave to live in your own country again, then the citizenship application can't proceed.  It's frozen until you return.  They can't just take your word for it that you're planning to return.  All you can do is ensure you have a RRV in place and that you return before it expires. 

There may be alternate options as you said, but you cannot decide for others anyway. There is always some reason that they find is more compelling based on their individual circumstance and even if it isn't compelling, the mere fact of proudly calling yourself an Australian officially is a good enough reason for people to seek getting to ceremony quicker. We all have been through so many hurdles to get here and it does makes sense for people to want to get it done ASAP particularly when they have been approved and the only last step is a ceremony. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, ozshuttler said:

There may be alternate options as you said, but you cannot decide for others anyway. There is always some reason that they find is more compelling based on their individual circumstance and even if it isn't compelling, the mere fact of proudly calling yourself an Australian officially is a good enough reason for people to seek getting to ceremony quicker. We all have been through so many hurdles to get here and it does makes sense for people to want to get it done ASAP particularly when they have been approved and the only last step is a ceremony. 

Spot on! 

12 hours ago, Dan241 said:

Hi All,

An update from Melbourne (City of Yarra council), I  applied for citizenship in April 2020, test done and approved in April 2021.

I received an email from the department on Aug 10th offering an online ceremony and this was conducted on 11th August.

Congratulations, Did you applied for VC?

1 hour ago, AlmostOZ said:

Hi all,

Is there Virtual Ceremony email address for QLD? Can you please share it?

Regards,

Hi Almost Oz- I have emailed ceremony.qld@homeaffairs.gov.au on several occasions to no avail. Not sure if your timeline is similar to mine (below)

Let me know if you hear back- Good luck! 

Edited by jadee

Ok, came here to post a question regarding my friend's application now. Need some ideas on how we could get his application moving.

Below is the timeline of my friend's application

Applied for citizenship in Jan 2020;  

Location - Melbourne; Council Area - Brimbank Council

Additional Applicants Included - Daughter (4 Years Old) and hasn't returned yet due to covid.

Daughter Travelled Overseas with Mother in April 2020 after application due to family emergency.

Application Status :Received.

Applicant travelled overseas in Dec 2020 and returned June 2021.

Application Status - Received.

While there are many others from Melbourne region who have applied after him, had test appointments, we haven't had any progress on his application. How can we request to find why the application hasn't progressed. When contacted DHA we got a standard response that we need to wait as the timelines specified in DHA website is only for 75% and 90% applications. Is there anyway we could get exact reasons as to why his application is not being picked up.

3 hours ago, jadee said:

Hi Almost Oz- I have emailed ceremony.qld@homeaffairs.gov.au on several occasions to no avail. Not sure if your timeline is similar to mine (below)

Let me know if you hear back- Good luck! 

I just had my VC today morning from Brisbane. My application was approved on 20/Nov/20 and was supposed to have the ceremony on 04/Aug which was canceled due to recent lockdown. I've requested VC (stating my employment requirement) with all supporting docs.  To be honest, I have emailed them twice last week, but no response. I have emailed them again two days back stressing about my situation and they sent me VC invite yesterday and done with the ceremony today morning.. 

Applied: 08/Aug/20

Test/Approved: 20/Nov/20

Ceremony : 04/Aug/21 (Cancelled due to lockdown)

VC: 13/Aug/21 (based on request)

• Like 1

Hi All,

I applied for citizenship on 24th September 2020 from Cassy City Council Victoria. 

Has anyone got invited who lodge the application around that period ?? . Thanks in advance. 

Applied: 24/Sep/2020

Test: Waiting

Cassy City Council

Melbourne

Victoria

2 hours ago, Chennaiguy said:

I just had my VC today morning from Brisbane. My application was approved on 20/Nov/20 and was supposed to have the ceremony on 04/Aug which was canceled due to recent lockdown. I've requested VC (stating my employment requirement) with all supporting docs.  To be honest, I have emailed them twice last week, but no response. I have emailed them again two days back stressing about my situation and they sent me VC invite yesterday and done with the ceremony today morning.. 

Applied: 08/Aug/20

Test/Approved: 20/Nov/20

Ceremony : 04/Aug/21 (Cancelled due to lockdown)

VC: 13/Aug/21 (based on request)

Congrats

Shall you please advise what is your employment requirement pushed your appointment for VC?

2 hours ago, Success21 said:

Congrats

Shall you please advise what is your employment requirement pushed your appointment for VC?

Thank you! I had to clear baseline security to commence my new contract. One of the criteria to obtain baseline clearance is to be an Aus citizen. 

1 hour ago, username303 said:

Hi everyone, upon lodging my application, I've realised that I've made a small error (put the wrong state name in one of the previous addresses). What is the process for making amendments to the citizenship application? Thanks.

Complete and upload form 1023 to your immiaccount. 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/form-listing/forms/1023.pdf

anyone who has recently applied to Brisbane citizenship office for citizenship online application in the last month or two and have received test date email? I am finding some people getting test dates email in a month while some are getting after 4-5 months

Edited by sub7er

5 hours ago, babysleep said:

Yeah I just got invited to virtual citizenship ceremony happening next week at Strathfield NSW!! I have been waiting for 6 months since the test!

Did you apply for virtual citizenship or they sent you an invite without applying?