AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

10 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

I wrote my citizenship test on May 26, passed, and had been waiting for approval. I just happened to check my immi account today and saw that my application had been approved on July 17. I did not receive any kind of notification that approval had been granted. 

So for all who are waiting for an email to let them know their application has been approved, don't hold your breath as you may not get one. Keep checking your immi account as your first port of call for a change in application status.

Yes they don’t sent an email. They sent only a letter via post office and update the status in your immi account without notification. Unfortunately I wrote on 28th of may @Adelaide but still waiting . Your state? 

9 hours ago, jpp said:

Yes at that time maximum people permitted for public gathering was 50 only. Currently it is just 10 and if everything goes right could move back to 50. It would need 18 ceremonies to clear backlog

Yeah, these numbers are a joke, it should be one of the greatest days and needs to be shared, there are 0 cases in Monash. Hope everyone gets their invites and ceremony done soon.

2 minutes ago, username303 said:

Since lodging my application in June 2021, my immi account shows the status of the application as Received. When it moves to the next stage, will it get updated to something else? How do they normally notify the applicant of such things?

Status will remain as “Received”until you’ve taken the citizenship test and your application has been approved.

Status will changed to “Approved” on the day you sit the test given you do the test in a DHA office. Applications processed through centrelink centres may take up two 8 weeks for approval. Centrelink tests are more common in regional Australia or in areas DHA is not present.

Be patient. It’s gonna take a while. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

I wrote my citizenship test on May 26, passed, and had been waiting for approval. I just happened to check my immi account today and saw that my application had been approved on July 17. I did not receive any kind of notification that approval had been granted. 

So for all who are waiting for an email to let them know their application has been approved, don't hold your breath as you may not get one. Keep checking your immi account as your first port of call for a change in application status.

My approval letter arrived nine weeks after sitting the test, not Australia Posts fault, my letter was dated three days earlier.

3 hours ago, Randall said:

Status will remain as “Received”until you’ve taken the citizenship test and your application has been approved.

Status will changed to “Approved” on the day you sit the test given you do the test in a DHA office. Applications processed through centrelink centres may take up two 8 weeks for approval. Centrelink tests are more common in regional Australia or in areas DHA is not present.

Be patient. It’s gonna take a while. 

That’s not correct ! Doesn’t matter if it’s through centrelink or DHA office . And sometimes is taking much longer than 8 weeks . Mine is already on 10th week through Adelaide DHA office and still waiting for approval. So the up to 8 weeks is not confirmed. Also not all of the application processed through DHA Offices will be approved on the same day. Note that in my application is not any problem non further documentation asked , so it’s a normal progress taking longer than usual. And if you read here you can find other people’s application took longer than 8 weeks 

17 hours ago, Athens07 said:

That’s not correct ! Doesn’t matter if it’s through centrelink or DHA office . And sometimes is taking much longer than 8 weeks . Mine is already on 10th week through Adelaide DHA office and still waiting for approval. So the up to 8 weeks is not confirmed. Also not all of the application processed through DHA Offices will be approved on the same day. Note that in my application is not any problem non further documentation asked , so it’s a normal progress taking longer than usual. And if you read here you can find other people’s application took longer than 8 weeks 

I sat my test on 10 May at DHA near Sydney Central station and was approved on 2 July.

I think this thing about Centrelink being slower than DHA is a bit of a myth.

• Like 2

Hi guys I applied for my citizenship at the end of June,

Will my immi account show any updates as well as an email being sent, ie. a request for further information or invitation to the test etc.?

Just wondering in case I miss the email

Thanks

Jonathan

1 hour ago, Jonleahy said:

Hi guys I applied for my citizenship at the end of June,

Will my immi account show any updates as well as an email being sent, ie. a request for further information or invitation to the test etc.?

Just wondering in case I miss the email

Thanks

Jonathan

Hi 

you will receive an email to call you for an interview and test. Be sure you checking your junk mail as well. Also even if you loose the email , in your immi account you can always check the messages section and you will find a pdf copy of the email for an interview appointment. So relax and don’t worry. 

have in your mind that the status will be not changed until the day of approval. It will remain “received “ until then . in other words is important for you  to check often your emails and messages section of your immi account

good luck 😉 

Every day I read posts from people getting more and more impatient that the date for their citizenship ceremony hasn’t been set.

Whats the rush? Why are people so keen to get the process completed, the test has been passed, most likely the status on the Immi account has been changed to approved, so why are people so desperate? 

Id be interested to know other peoples views, I’m waiting for my ceremony, but am not expecting it to happen for at least 6-8 months and that’s being optimistic!

7 minutes ago, XoXo11 said:

Hi 

can you anyone please confirm if we need australia police check as well for citizenship applocation ? And can it be submitted 30-60 after lodging application ? 
i am aware overseas police clearance is required. 
thank u 

You do not need to do the Aus police check as it will be done for you as part of processing your application.  Not everyone needs an overseas check either. 

2 hours ago, ToowoombaBlue said:

Every day I read posts from people getting more and more impatient that the date for their citizenship ceremony hasn’t been set.

Whats the rush? Why are people so keen to get the process completed, the test has been passed, most likely the status on the Immi account has been changed to approved, so why are people so desperate? 

Id be interested to know other peoples views, I’m waiting for my ceremony, but am not expecting it to happen for at least 6-8 months and that’s being optimistic!

Good question...I would be interested in knowing as well.

3 hours ago, ToowoombaBlue said:

Well, there are several reasons, many would want to get a grant from the government; like the Low Deposit Scheme for their homeloan, HECS, scholarships, get their Au passport to travel for whatever reason, provide citizenship for a position that requires you to be citizen, etc etc. All the mentioned normally have set timeliness, so that may be a reason people will get desperate. I personally believe that everyone has a reason to want their citizenship come through asap, and that is none of our business. If one requests a urgent citizenship, it is upto the citizenship officer to decide whether or not it is a compelling reason.

I too want it urgently, but the reason I have isn't for compelling nor compassionate reasons, so all I do is wait and hope it comes on time for my plans.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Nora said:

Well, there are several reasons, many would want to get a grant from the government; like the Low Deposit Scheme for their homeloan, HECS, scholarships, get their Au passport to travel for whatever reason, provide citizenship for a position that requires you to be citizen, etc etc. All the mentioned normally have set timeliness, so that may be a reason people will get desperate. I personally believe that everyone has a reason to want their citizenship come through asap, and that is none of our business. If one requests a urgent citizenship, it is upto the citizenship officer to decide whether or not it is a compelling reason.

I too want it urgently, but the reason I have isn't for compelling nor compassionate reasons, so all I do is wait and hope it comes on time for my plans.

All seems a bit rich to me. Before the pandemic it took 6 to 8 months between approval and ceremony (sometimes longer) but now there's a pandemic messing up all the processes they expect it to be done quicker!

33 minutes ago, Ken said:

All seems a bit rich to me. Before the pandemic it took 6 to 8 months between approval and ceremony (sometimes longer) but now there's a pandemic messing up all the processes they expect it to be done quicker!

I honestly do not look at other people's times, nor their reasons to want it quicker, each to their own. 

Hi, I have received a call from Campbelltown City Council (NSW) today for virtual ceremony on 11 August. They asked me whether I would attend a virtual ceremony. I didn't request virtual ceremony via email so I think if it's your turn, some councils will call or send you an email to ask for virtual ceremony due to Covid outbreak.
I applied on 9 May 2020 and got approved on 2 March 2021.
Hope everyone get approved and ceremony invitation soon!😀

10 hours ago, ToowoombaBlue said:

I can understand the passion. I’ll give you an example. Some people they study, after their ceremony they will be eligible for VET loan which is only for citizens, or they have been offered a job. So you see, sometimes you can’t just stop your life for 8 months. When you’ve got an opportunity for study or work you need to grab it, otherwise you will not have a chance after 7 or 8 months . 

Edited by Athens07
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi everyone I am totally new here but have been checking everyone’s timeline of process time to study statistic ... 🙂 very helpful forum! 

I just wonder if anyone can give me an advise... I was a nomad to search the answers in internet and I arrived here! 

I lodge the citizenship application of my husband and my children (13 and 15 yrs old) on 13 July 2021. In fact, we rather want kids to have Australian nationals for their future - but we lodge their application with my husband, since he is eligible -  I cannot have dual nationality so I did not lodge  - I am Japanese and he is EU national

My question is - has anyone heard children’s application has been approved  faster than the parents - with the same lodgement? 

I was thinking to cancel previous application  and re apply for only kids ( my husband is ok not to have Australian citizenship) , since it seems possible to lodge kids under 15 if parents are not lodging.  

Maybe it is faster since kids don’t need any interview?
We want it to be faster since my parents are not well so I want to leave Australia next year.. 😞 

Any answers are appreciated.

Hope everyone’s application will be processed ASAP and congratulations for the ones who passed exam and had celebration!