AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

26 minutes ago, RoEire said:

I received my invite for a ceremony in Port Phillip today. A bit surprised as it wasn't on their original list of ceremony dates, but obviously I'm delighted. Trying not to get too excited, as with lockdowns here in Victoria, there's every chance we could be back in one in two weeks time and it will be cancelled. If we make it to a few days before and no sign of a lockdown then I'll get excited 🤣

@RoEire, @elderberry,
Congrats on your ceremony invite! 
In your invite letter, is there any mention of how many guests you can take?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Melb User said:

@RoEire, @elderberry,
Congrats on your ceremony invite! 
In your invite letter, is there any mention of how many guests you can take?

thanks!

no guests

‘Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, numbers are strictly limited and unfortunately you will be unable to bring guests on this occasion. Only persons taking citizenship will be admitted into the building. In the event that restrictions change and capacity numbers are increased, Council Officers will notify you if guests are permitted.’

• Thanks 1

This post has given some idea to me, I would like to share my wife's citizenship timeline here:

Citizenship Application Lodged: 27 July 2021
Test Invitation: waiting
Test Date: waiting
Approval: waiting
Ceremony: waiting
Council: City of Wyndham, VIC

Btw,  she lodged application with alternative proof for birth certificate e.g. Passport, Overseas Driver Licence, Proof of Age card, School Record. Meanwhile, preparing application for PCC to shorten the wait time.

On 28/07/2021 at 15:41, Mustung said:

I have quick question. 

I got new born and she got her AU Citizenship and  Passport.

i am applying for Citizenship with my kids now and just wanted to confirm do i need to include new born anywhere in the application?

My son was born here and I didn’t need to include him on the application. 
You are getting conflicting information on this forum, best to ring Immigration or find the answer on your immi account. From memory there wasn’t a section I could put his details in, and because as he is a citizen of Australia, he didn’t need to be included in the application.

5 hours ago, Sukhi & kiran said:

Any lucky one got ceremony from Wyndham City council Victoria recently 

May I know your approval date ? mine is on 28th May in Wyndham council and waiting for the Ceremony 

6 hours ago, RoEire said:

As @elderberry said no guests this time around, which is disappointing but understandable. Hopefully we'll all make an effort to take pics for each other at the ceremony 🙂

Congratulations.

We had the same restrictions when we received our citizenship last November, no handshake, no official photo, and collect your certificate on the way out. We took the chance as there was officially no covid in our area and took photos for each other with another couple. 

1 hour ago, ToowoombaBlue said:

My son was born here and I didn’t need to include him on the application. 
You are getting conflicting information on this forum, best to ring Immigration or find the answer on your immi account. From memory there wasn’t a section I could put his details in, and because as he is a citizen of Australia, he didn’t need to be included in the application.

The forms change regularly so it may no longer be the case, but I know my wife had to include our son's details on her form even though he was already a citizen since it required the details of all children not just those for whom citizenship was being applied for. There was a question "Does the applicant have any children under 16 years of age that are not applying for citizenship within this application?" Once you answer yes you need to fill in their details.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramot said:

Congratulations.

We had the same restrictions when we received our citizenship last November, no handshake, no official photo, and collect your certificate on the way out. We took the chance as there was officially no covid in our area and took photos for each other with another couple. 

Thanks @ramot. I'm attending on my own, as my partners application is about a year behind mine, so hopefully I'll find a friendly face there I can ask to be my photographer! 🤣

Hi All, Wanted to share my citizenship journey

Citizenship Application Lodged: 29 July 2020
Test Invitation: 22 May 2021
Test Date: 29 July 2021, Rescheduled 15 June 2021
Approval: Same day in couple of hours
Ceremony: waiting
Council: Monash, VIC

Those from Monash, VIC I raised FOI about citizenship backlog and  as of 16th July 2021 there are 948 people whose application is approved and are awaiting for ceremony. Considering only 6 ceremony are planned for balance of 2021 and covid restrictions on number it does not look good unless council plans more ceremony to clear backlog 

• 2021 citizenship ceremonies (Monash)

• 16 August
  • 13 September
  • 20 September
  • 27 September
  • 11 October
  • 6 December 

1 hour ago, jpp said:

Those from Monash, VIC I raised FOI about citizenship backlog and  as of 16th July 2021 there are 948 people whose application is approved and are awaiting for ceremony. Considering only 6 ceremony are planned for balance of 2021 and covid restrictions on number it does not look good unless council plans more ceremony to clear backlog 

• 16 August
  • 13 September
  • 20 September
  • 27 September
  • 11 October
  • 6 December 

Hello, may I ask how to ask for  FOi? What do you write to inquire about the backlog?

Kindly,

Hi Everyone,

Below is my timeline.

citizenship application:Sep 2020

Invitation for test: March 13 2021 for April 14th 2021

Test and approved on April 14th.

In person Ceremony: 20th July 2021 canceled due to lockdown 10 days before

Sent an email to virtual.ceremony.nsw@homeaffairs.gov.au on July 15th 2021 for virtual ceremony stating my ceremony was canceled and I feel it is better and safe for me to go for Virtual .

No one replied but got virtual ceremony meeting for July 22 2021 and finally I am a citizen.

Council : Hills shire council, NSW

Hope this helps.

• Congratulations 1

19 hours ago, Nora said:

Hello, may I ask how to ask for  FOi? What do you write to inquire about the backlog?

Kindly,

You can email to  FOI@homeaffairs.gov.au and add wording "I request a copy of the following information under the Freedom of Information Act 1982" as at xxx date, the number of persons whose applications for citizenship by conferral have been approved and were awaiting a citizenship ceremony at xxx  Council. Then provide your email where they can send information

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone! I'm planning on applying for my citizenship in December 2021 out of Melbourne (Casey council). 

I've been reading quite a lot of posts of 15 month waiting periods for Melbourne folks and it seems like other states seem to be getting their citizenships within 6-12 months. I understand this delay is due to the backlog created by the lockdowns in Melbourne.

Is there a way to expedite this process and not get stuck in the 15 month waiting period. (i.e. apply from NSW, Adelaide or sit the test in those areas)? I don't even know if this is possible with a Melbourne resedential address, apologies for my lack understanding of the process.

Has anyone in a similar situation in Melbourne managed to work out a quicker way to complete the end to end process rather that apply and forget about it until a year or more?

Would really appreciate if I could get some insights into this process.

Thanks

4 hours ago, mansbrofessor said:

Hi everyone! I'm planning on applying for my citizenship in December 2021 out of Melbourne (Casey council). 

I've been reading quite a lot of posts of 15 month waiting periods for Melbourne folks and it seems like other states seem to be getting their citizenships within 6-12 months. I understand this delay is due to the backlog created by the lockdowns in Melbourne.

Is there a way to expedite this process and not get stuck in the 15 month waiting period. (i.e. apply from NSW, Adelaide or sit the test in those areas)? I don't even know if this is possible with a Melbourne resedential address, apologies for my lack understanding of the process.

Has anyone in a similar situation in Melbourne managed to work out a quicker way to complete the end to end process rather that apply and forget about it until a year or more?

Would really appreciate if I could get some insights into this process.

Thanks

Personally I would suggest patience and acceptance. Where you sit your test and attend your citizenship ceremony is dependent on where you live. Unless you want to start by lying about that, then, just like the desire to travel , we just have to be resilient and accept what we cannot change. 

Edited by elderberry

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share my journey below.

Applied Citizenship: 17/07/2020

Current Citizenship: New Zealand 

Test Date: 24/06/2021 (Rescheduled from 03/06/2021 due to Vic lockdown)

Approved: 24/06/2021 (2 hours later)

Awaiting Ceremony: 17/08/2021

Council: Casey, VIC

Edited by serato85

On 02/07/2021 at 08:00, snmp said:

Hi all,

Finally got round to applying for citizenship (was eligible Feb 2019!!!), timeline below:

Application submitted: 14/04/21

Appointment email received: 15/06/21

Interview & Test: 01/07/21

Approved: 01/07/21 (told I would receive letter in post to confirm approval in approx 3 weeks)

Ceremony: TBC (advised wait time is currently 6-8months)

Well that happened alot quicker than expected!  Received invite for ceremony this morning, ceremony date 24/08/21 😀

• Congratulations 2

Hi everyone,

I have a question about requesting an urgent ceremony if someone has experience with this. I am wondering if it is possible to request an urgent ceremony (virtual) based on wanting to apply for a government job that requires applicant to be an Australian citizen. I read somewhere that if you have a job offer conditional upon you being a citizen, then the department may consider that, however, in this case, the job description says the applicant must be a citizen to be able to apply.

Thanks

On 30/07/2021 at 20:04, jpp said:

• 16 August
  • 13 September
  • 20 September
  • 27 September
  • 11 October
  • 6 December 

Hey, Had mine with Monash on 12/07, and there were no more than 50 in the theatre, it may be that we had just come out of covid due to the low numbers, but i say they couldnt fit more than 150 in there.

I wrote my citizenship test on May 26, passed, and had been waiting for approval. I just happened to check my immi account today and saw that my application had been approved on July 17. I did not receive any kind of notification that approval had been granted. 

So for all who are waiting for an email to let them know their application has been approved, don't hold your breath as you may not get one. Keep checking your immi account as your first port of call for a change in application status.

6 hours ago, andrewajp002 said:

Hey, Had mine with Monash on 12/07, and there were no more than 50 in the theatre, it may be that we had just come out of covid due to the low numbers, but i say they couldnt fit more than 150 in there.

Yes at that time maximum people permitted for public gathering was 50 only. Currently it is just 10 and if everything goes right could move back to 50. It would need 18 ceremonies to clear backlog