AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

Hey All 

On the online apppication identity documents there’s a list of identities you can only click on one 

I clicked on passport filled the details etc again evidence with address I clicked on rental contract and evidence of date and birth I put full birth certificate identity of evidence of travel I put passport also present of country evidence I also added passport 

The question is when attaching documents under these categories it has only the one I chose how is that right and how do you add the extra documents like the AFP and utilities and other things that you want to add extra with only these categories and identity document you choose 

will there be more categories after you pay or what 

thx 

Required

Document including photograph and signatureapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

Address - Residential, Evidence of - Rental contractapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

Date of birth and birth name, evidence ofapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

Passport Photograph - Frontapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

Passport Photograph - Rear endorsedapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

First arrival in Australia, Evidence ofapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

Present country of citizenship, Evidence ofapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

Recommended

Form 1195 Identity declarationapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

26 minutes ago, Amii said:

Hey All 

On the online apppication identity documents there’s a list of identities you can only click on one 

I clicked on passport filled the details etc again evidence with address I clicked on rental contract and evidence of date and birth I put full birth certificate identity of evidence of travel I put passport also present of country evidence I also added passport 

The question is when attaching documents under these categories it has only the one I chose how is that right and how do you add the extra documents like the AFP and utilities and other things that you want to add extra with only these categories and identity document you choose 

will there be more categories after you pay or what 

thx 

Required

Document including photograph and signatureapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

Address - Residential, Evidence of - Rental contractapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

Date of birth and birth name, evidence ofapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

Passport Photograph - Frontapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

Passport Photograph - Rear endorsedapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

First arrival in Australia, Evidence ofapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

Present country of citizenship, Evidence ofapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

Recommended

Form 1195 Identity declarationapp?wc_static=%2Fimages%2Fsmall%2Fhelp.p
Received

You don’t need to add extra, that is why they give a choice.  Not everyone can provide the same type of information.  Also they will run an Australian police check you don’t need to provide one.

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

You don’t need to add extra, that is why they give a choice.  Not everyone can provide the same type of information.  Also they will run an Australian police check you don’t need to provide one.

Oh ok fair enough I don’t understand that then why does it say that you can send 60 attachments for a few categories for if you can’t add other documents which I don’t get 

56 minutes ago, Amii said:

Oh ok fair enough I don’t understand that then why does it say that you can send 60 attachments for a few categories for if you can’t add other documents which I don’t get 

Possibly that is the maximum allowed if you are including children etc I didn’t attach anywhere near that amount 

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

Possibly that is the maximum allowed if you are including children etc I didn’t attach anywhere near that amount 

Sounds about right maybe for kids I’ve only attached 7 items so far and just waiting on the form 1195

thx for the help it cleared my mind 

I've a concern that due to the tighten restriction in NSW, there'll be big impact of the application processing speed. Not sure whether the DHA processing team are working from home, or they still need to go to the office for data access? 

24 minutes ago, Ding said:

I've a concern that due to the tighten restriction in NSW, there'll be big impact of the application processing speed. Not sure whether the DHA processing team are working from home, or they still need to go to the office for data access? 

Virtually all public servants in roles such as visa processing have the capability to work from home, its been tried and tested for both State and Federal departments. 

4 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Virtually all public servants in roles such as visa processing have the capability to work from home, its been tried and tested for both State and Federal departments. 

Thanks Nemesis. Hopefully my case could be processed quickly. 

On 12/07/2021 at 17:49, galisuman said:

Hi Mate called the citizenship number today as my approval is sitting for 7months with no ceremony in site and the lady told me to wait a little longer, apparently current waiting time is more than 12 months due to COVID-19 and there are no virtual ceremonies getting conducted in Brisbane council as the team who does that are severely understaffed and cannot accommodate any more applications for this year, over all all Brisbane applicants are mightily screwed 😭

Hi mate, I received my ceremony invite today from Brisbane City Council

Timeline

Applied: 08/08/2020

Approved: 20/11/2020

Ceremony: 04/08/2021

Hopefully, you get yours soon.. 

• Like 1

Hi all back again

Application submitted 26/05/2021/:WA Perth

16/06/21 Received an email  requesting form 1399.Form submitted next day,

23/06/21 received invite for interview and test for 28/07/21 wish me luck need to pass hopefully get virtual ceremony too.

Good luck to everyone 

Hello everyoneTest is next week 28/7 so anxious I have been practicing the test on Immi reading the bond booklet.

Do the questions we practice on Immi same as we get on the day?

Also do we take all documents we used in application

Thnx everyone

7 minutes ago, ZULU2000 said:

Hello everyoneTest is next week 28/7 so anxious I have been practicing the test on Immi reading the bond booklet.

Thnx everyone

These are the documents they request:

image.png.6ffe36719fea581d74d47120c17381c3.png

The questions in the test are very similar, in some cases they just rephrase the questions. The Australian values questions are common sense, really. If you've lived in Australia long enough, you know what it means to have free speech, respect the differences etc etc...

Good luck, mate!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZULU2000 said:

Thnx everyone

Hi @ZULU2000

Don't stress. Its mostly common sense questions. I had read the booklet only once and passed the exam.

Nothing tricky. Make sure you read the "Australian Values" section bit more because getting any of the "Australian Values" questions wrong is an automatic fail regardless how you do on rest of the test.

Due to ongoing Covid, they did not check any of my documents. They did not want to touch my documents and spread Covid that way. They only checked my driver's licence.

Good Luck!!!

Edited by AlmostOZ
  • Like 1

Good evening.When do I pay for my application? I have completed all 34 pages and all attachments, and now it says “You are now ready to submit your application “ I am not doing that just to check everything tomorrow with a fresh mind. Is it some email / notification that I would receive after submitting which would allow me to pay?

On 10/07/2021 at 15:03, VicApplicant said:

Sorry just caught up with this - Yes by Email! but I have also seen it appear in my Immi account too. but they will email you so u dont miss it (I haven't gotten any physical post on it). best of luck

My Port Phillip ceremony in Melbourne was cancelled for this Thursday. no word of virtual or reschedule yet. 

On 17/07/2021 at 08:59, Melb2016 said:

An update. Our council in Melbourne organised a virtual ceremony a few days ago. We were notified a week before by email (no changes/messages on our Immi accounts). We attended from a car park in Gold Coast as we were on holiday (technology!). The ceremony lasted about 30 mins. Although we don’t have any paperwork to prove it, I think the ceremony means we are now Au citizens. We were told that we will receive a certificate in post in the next 3 weeks. Post that we can apply for a Passport. We applied in mid April 2020, so the process lasted exactly 15 months. 12 months from application to approval and 3 months from approval to ceremony. Hang in there all. 

Congrats - awesome news. What council are you in? was your physical ceremony cancelled and you got an online one? my physical one has been cancelled in Port Phillip so just wondering what may happen (we weren't told anything other than cancellation). 

I'm very curious why does it take so long for majority of people from approval to ceremony. It is not the first year of COVID, and considering the process takes 10-15 minutes overall per person, it could've been redesigned to be a digital option by default. It is understandable to have a long wait time for all background checks, definitely. However when you receive an approval letter and still have to wait up to 9 months - there is a feeling something is not really right. Especially during COVID the pledge should be accepted at any facility such as Centrelink, Post office etc. Just bring your approval letter, do a pledge in front of a personnel, receive your certificate - 10 minutes fast-track. We are going to have lockdowns and spikes in the next 2-5 years, so having traditional approach may not be the right strategy. I could be wrong, but just some thoughts...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Narito87 said:

I'm very curious why does it take so long for majority of people from approval to ceremony. It is not the first year of COVID, and considering the process takes 10-15 minutes overall per person, it could've been redesigned to be a digital option by default. It is understandable to have a long wait time for all background checks, definitely. However when you receive an approval letter and still have to wait up to 9 months - there is a feeling something is not really right. Especially during COVID the pledge should be accepted at any facility such as Centrelink, Post office etc. Just bring your approval letter, do a pledge in front of a personnel, receive your certificate - 10 minutes fast-track. We are going to have lockdowns and spikes in the next 2-5 years, so having traditional approach may not be the right strategy. I could be wrong, but just some thoughts...

I agree with you. I'm also curious about why for someone (including me) it took such a long time from test to approval, while others got approval on the test day. There is no transparency at all. Every time I called DHA, always told me to wait. Compared to other countries as I know (UK, Canada, New Zealand), it's the longest waiting time for Australia citizenship application.  

15 hours ago, VicApplicant said:

Congrats - awesome news. What council are you in? was your physical ceremony cancelled and you got an online one? my physical one has been cancelled in Port Phillip so just wondering what may happen (we weren't told anything other than cancellation). 

Same here.. mine was suppose to be on 28th july whitehorse vic.. and we also have notified with a cancellation email. No further updates like virtual ceremonies or nothing. Really frustratd.. damed this covid and damed ths lockdowns..

5 hours ago, Narito87 said:

I agree that there should be a  digital option for citizenship ceremony given ceremonies are getting delayed due to covid lockdown and number of 
participants restrictions.

It's going to be close to 6 months for me since Approval, not heard back on Ceremony dates (I'm part of Melbourne City Council). I wish there was an option to ask for Virtual Ceremony or I like idea you mentioned that they can just accept the the pledge in facility such as Centrelink, Post office etc.

Now, coming to what we can do about it:
Maybe we can start a petition in sites such as 
https://www.change.org/start-a-petition
https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions

or contact some news channel and bring up the plight of long wait time
or some similar option so immigration team in charge of Citizenship hears about it and takes some action.

Just contacting immigration phone number alone does not help, you get the standard answers asking to wait for more time.

On 20/07/2021 at 13:02, ZULU2000 said:

Hi all back again

Application submitted 26/05/2021/:WA Perth

16/06/21 Received an email  requesting form 1399.Form submitted next day,

23/06/21 received invite for interview and test for 28/07/21 wish me luck need to pass hopefully get virtual ceremony too.

Good luck to everyone 

Wish you all the best.

how come you’ve been requested for form 1399? 

11 hours ago, Narito87 said:

My ceremony was back in 2016 long before Covid. It still took 8 or 9 months between Approval (which was posted the same day as the test) and Ceremony. In the end the Ceremony was one organised by the department as the local council waiting list was just getting longer and longer.

• Like 1