AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

Does anyone know the what is the availability for test slots in Melbourne vs Ballarat vs Bendigo vs Shepparton etc. I live in Melbourne and going to be applying for citizenship soon. In most other states such as NSW, the citizenship application processing time is very fast. In Victoria wait time is around a year before you can take the test. The only reason I can think of why it is this different is because we had a lockdown and that probably delayed the citizenship tests for a lot of people during lockdown and that caused a huge backlog of tests which has not been cleared yet.

Would it make sense for me to put Ballarat as my preferred test location during the application? May be they have lesser load than Melbourne and my citizenship application will be processed faster? Has anyone tried it or looked at this before? What do you think?

I don't mind going to any of these locations to be in the test earlier. To be honest, I don't even mind going to Sydney for the test if it means my processing time will drop from a year and half (including ceremony) to six months.

On 09/07/2021 at 13:14, Chennaiguy said:

Nope. When was your application approved?? 

If you have noticed 600 per ceremony and there are thousands waiting. I was told not to contact immigration for virtual ceremony with regards to HECS HELP as I dont qualify under emergency category so I think indirectly they are saying wait 

I Have silently been observing this forum for a while. 

My Timeline:

Came to Aus on a student visa: 2012

Applied for PR via Spouse: Aug 2017

received TR: May 2019

Received PR: March 2020

Applied for Citizenship: 12 May 2021

Invitation for Test and Interview received on 15 June 2021 for 15 July 2021

Rescheduled myself to 25 June 2021 

Approved 25 June 2021 Same day - received my official letter by mail a few days after 

Awaiting invite from Moreton Bay Council 

:) 

• Congratulations 2

1 hour ago, Amy.K said:

I Have silently been observing this forum for a while. 

My Timeline:

Came to Aus on a student visa: 2012

Applied for PR via Spouse: Aug 2017

received TR: May 2019

Received PR: March 2020

Applied for Citizenship: 12 May 2021

Invitation for Test and Interview received on 15 June 2021 for 15 July 2021

Rescheduled myself to 25 June 2021 

Approved 25 June 2021 Same day - received my official letter by mail a few days after 

Awaiting invite from Moreton Bay Council 

🙂

Also waiting in Moreton Bay. Hopefully we hear from them soon. We've been waiting since late Feb 2021, still within their wait times though. Congratulations!

• Congratulations 1

I have a question, during the time between test and approval, what kind of checking is on-going? National security, integrity checking? I've seen bunch of guys got approval on the same day of test, but someone have to wait for 1-2 month to get approval. Don't know what's the difference behind the scene. 

Hi All,

Below is my timeline.

Applied: 26/08/2020
Invitation: 25/06/2021 to take test 06/08/2021
Test Re-scheduled to 30/06/2021
Approved: 30/06/201
Invitation for Ceremony: 12/07/2021( just in 12 days)
Date of Ceremony: 04/08/2021 (face to face but no guests allowed).
Council: Greater Dandenong / Victoria.

• Congratulations 2

Hi Guys 

Applying for citizenship on my own next month !  Can someone please advise the process , been reading on the website and seems like overseas pci is required 

can I start filling the application online in advance And even apply for overseas oci or aus poloce clearance now ? 

any tips and advice will be appreciated on this matter

Hi Amy,

i saw your msg on the citizenship forum, can i ask if you applied to Brisbane regional office? how did you get through with a date for the test within a month of application. Did you apply in May 2021 or was it May 2020? My daughter applied early June 2021 and still have not received anything? Do you think she should give them a call and ask? look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would share my timeline after my application was approved today.

Citizenship applied - 08 June 2021

Test Invite received - 07 July 2021 for 05 August 2021. Rescheduled Test to 12 July 2021

Test Passed and Application approved in immi account straight after - 12 July 2021

Current location - Brisbane

Nationality - New Zealand

Now awaiting formal approval letter and ceremony.

Edited by AnkitC

11 minutes ago, AnkitC said:

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would share my timeline after my application was approved today.

Citizenship applied - 08 June 2021

Test Invite received - 07 July 2021 for 05 August 2021. Rescheduled Test to 12 July 2021

Test Passed and Application approved in immi account straight after - 12 July 2021

Current location - Brisbane

Nationality - New Zealand

Now awaiting formal approval letter and ceremony.

There are no formal approval letter, its just in you immi messages, current waiting time in Brisbane is more than 12months for ceremony, unfortunately as everything immigration works at their own pace. I suggest keep checking your post box as usually you will get a letter 30 days before the ceremony.

On 01/07/2021 at 19:09, Chennaiguy said:

I was told by DHA that virtual ceremonies have stopped in QLD as of now. Having said that, I have seen people(from QLD) in other forums requesting virtual ceremonies in different states and got their ceremony done. The key is you need to prove (with evidence) why you wanna "rush" with your ceremony??! Few stated their job demands or others need to access HECS, etc.. 

This one is from another forum: You can try your luck.. 

Universal Email IDs
virtual.ceremony@homeaffairs.gov.au
virtual.citz.ceremony@homeaffairs.gov.au

State Specific Email IDs
ceremony.act@homeaffairs.gov.au
ceremony.nsw@homeaffairs.gov.au
ceremony.qld@homeaffairs.gov.au
perth.citizenship@homeaffairs.gov.au
sydney.citizenship@homeaffairs.gov.au
virtual.ceremony.act@homeaffairs.gov.au
virtual.ceremony.nsw@homeaffairs.gov.au
virtual.ceremony.qld@homeaffairs.gov.au
virtual.ceremony.vic@homeaffairs.gov.au

Hi Mate called the citizenship number today as my approval is sitting for 7months with no ceremony in site and the lady told me to wait a little longer, apparently current waiting time is more than 12 months due to COVID-19 and there are no virtual ceremonies getting conducted in Brisbane council as the team who does that are severely understaffed and cannot accommodate any more applications for this year, over all all Brisbane applicants are mightily screwed 😭

Edited by galisuman

3 hours ago, Ding said:

I have a question, during the time between test and approval, what kind of checking is on-going? National security, integrity checking? I've seen bunch of guys got approval on the same day of test, but someone have to wait for 1-2 month to get approval. Don't know what's the difference behind the scene. 

Yeap. That’s it. ID and Security checks. For some countries it’s  quicker to do that, for other a bit slower. Plus, whether you did your test at Home Affairs or Centrelink also makes a difference; the latter takes up to 8 weeks. 

Edited by Randall

2 minutes ago, Randall said:

Yeap. That’s it. ID and Security checks. For some countries it’s  quicker to do that, for other a bit slower. Plus, whether you did your test at Home Affairs or Centrelink also makes a difference; the latter takes up to 8 weeks. 

I'm one of those 'centrelink' tested people, had my test not the 3rd June and still not approved, hopefully it'll be sorted at the 8 week mark. 

5 minutes ago, CaptainR said:

I'm one of those 'centrelink' tested people, had my test not the 3rd June and still not approved, hopefully it'll be sorted at the 8 week mark. 

Me too. I had to wait 7 weeks, my partner waited 8 weeks. 

@Chelsearoxanna Have you done your ceremony yet? I think you had a date for when the lockdown happened, no? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sub7er said:

Hi Amy,

i saw your msg on the citizenship forum, can i ask if you applied to Brisbane regional office? how did you get through with a date for the test within a month of application. Did you apply in May 2021 or was it May 2020? My daughter applied early June 2021 and still have not received anything? Do you think she should give them a call and ask? look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance

I applied in May 2021 and heard back for an interview/test just under 5 weeks, I think it just depends how long you have been in Australia for and how much have you travelled overseas. I think your daughter is still within her time frame, no harm in calling them but I reckon they will ask to wait.

from what I have gathered from this forum that its case by case, they seem to give priority to people who have been in Australia for a quite a while. I could be wrong though. 

18 hours ago, galisuman said:

Hi Mate called the citizenship number today as my approval is sitting for 7months with no ceremony in site and the lady told me to wait a little longer, apparently current waiting time is more than 12 months due to COVID-19 and there are no virtual ceremonies getting conducted in Brisbane council as the team who does that are severely understaffed and cannot accommodate any more applications for this year, over all all Brisbane applicants are mightily screwed 😭

Sorry to hear that. I wish they speed up the process or conduct some 'Mega' ceremonies to clear the backlogs. I am hoping to get my ceremony invite for 4/Aug (fingers crossed)

Hi experts,

Going to apply for citizenship next week and just found this group. Wondering if anyone please confirm document list.

Myself:

* form 1195

* Passport copy

* Photo (back & front)

* birth certificate.

* Police clearance (both AU & overseas)

Kid:

* form 1195

* Passport copy

* Photo (back & front)

* birth certificate.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Jul said:

Hi experts,

Going to apply for citizenship next week and just found this group. Wondering if anyone please confirm document list.

Myself:

* form 1195

* Passport copy

* Photo (back & front)

* birth certificate.

* Police clearance (both AU & overseas)

Kid:

* form 1195

* Passport copy

* Photo (back & front)

* birth certificate.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance

Yes you will need other id documents. There is a choice for some when you start filling in the form and a checklist will appear at the end. Nothing you shouldn’t have though. 
You do not need an Aus police check as they do that for you. You may not need an overseas one either depending on circumstances. 

Edited by rammygirl

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Yes you will need other id documents. There is a choice for some when you start filling in the form and a checklist will appear at the end. Nothing you shouldn’t have though. 
You do not need an Aus police check as they do that for you. You may not need an overseas one either depending on circumstances. 

Thanks a lot.

Another query is, how test date can be rescheduled?