AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

Yay! I'm Aussie image.gif.049de77ab7b983bdf5bd3e3d62f0f367.gif))

PR granted: January 2014
Moved to Australia: November 2016
Citizenship application lodged: January 2020
Went overseas: March 2020
Returned onshore in Sydney: May 2021
Test invitation for: 22 June 2021
Test Rescheduled for: 11 June 2021
Approved: 11 June 2021
Requested virtual ceremony on the basis of job
Virtual ceremony: 6 July 2021
Inner West Council NSW

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

1 hour ago, SunMoon said:

Yay! I'm Aussie image.gif.049de77ab7b983bdf5bd3e3d62f0f367.gif))

PR granted: January 2014
Moved to Australia: November 2016
Citizenship application lodged: January 2020
Went overseas: March 2020
Returned onshore in Sydney: May 2021
Test invitation for: 22 June 2021
Test Rescheduled for: 11 June 2021
Approved: 11 June 2021
Requested virtual ceremony on the basis of job
Virtual ceremony: 6 July 2021
Inner West Council NSW

Cong! 

A question, did you received any message from the department to ask you to be onshore in 2021, then you came back; or you came back by your own decision? 
And how did the DHA know you were onshore in May 2021, did you notify them? 
My case is similar with yours (being offshore for a period), appreciate your answers. 

3 hours ago, Ding said:

Cong! 

A question, did you received any message from the department to ask you to be onshore in 2021, then you came back; or you came back by your own decision? 
And how did the DHA know you were onshore in May 2021, did you notify them? 
My case is similar with yours (being offshore for a period), appreciate your answers. 

Thanks!

No, I had not received any message nor invitation. All these 14 months offshore I had been in limbo, thinking they'd cancel my application for being offshore for so long. Finally, I bite the bullet and bought more or less affordable ticket for covid era, came in Australia, did 2-week quarantine. I had not had a clue what was happening with my application. So, I decided to make it look active. I changed my phone number, some other details, in order to ring a bell that I am back. Suddenly I received the invitation for the test 🙂 Was happy to the moon and back. After passing the test started begging them by emails to grant me a virtual ceremony. And got the invitation! Persistence is the key :-)))

Adding my Australia journey so far 😎 I'm in WA

Arrived in Aus April 2017. Lots of issues with visa (got caught up in the 457 withdrawal drama) so applied for PR in June 2017. 

PR Granted March 2018.

Applied for Citizenship April 2021 (me and 2 dependents. Husband on his own application). 

Invite to Interview letter arrived by email May 2021

Citizenship interview and test 8th July 2021 (tomorrow - eeek)

16 hours ago, SunMoon said:

Thanks!

No, I had not received any message nor invitation. All these 14 months offshore I had been in limbo, thinking they'd cancel my application for being offshore for so long. Finally, I bite the bullet and bought more or less affordable ticket for covid era, came in Australia, did 2-week quarantine. I had not had a clue what was happening with my application. So, I decided to make it look active. I changed my phone number, some other details, in order to ring a bell that I am back. Suddenly I received the invitation for the test 🙂 Was happy to the moon and back. After passing the test started begging them by emails to grant me a virtual ceremony. And got the invitation! Persistence is the key :-)))

May I ask how many days between your end day of quarantine and the day you received the test invitation? 
I've just completed my 14-day's quarantine this Monday, so need some insight about time expectation. Thank you.

16 hours ago, Komalami said:

Anyone from Melbourne who applied this year 2021. I need to know how long it's taking in Melbourne 

Thanks 

Hey I applied in Sep 2020 and I gave my test on 07 July 2020 ( initially scheduled for 13th August 2021 but rescheduled)

Edited by kashyap

BCC  Upcoming Ceremonies.

Brisbane City Council conducts citizenship ceremonies throughout the year. The Department of Home Affairs allocate new citizens to a ceremony and then invitations are distributed by Brisbane City Council, via mail and email.

Upcoming ceremonies

A citizenship ceremony will be held on:

• Wednesday 14 July 2021
  • Wednesday 4 August 2021
  • Monday 30 August 2021
  • Monday 11 October 2021
  • Monday 8 November 2021
  • Monday 29 November 2021.

The events will operate under the venue's Queensland Health approved COVID Safe Plan. Approximately 600 candidates attend each citizenship ceremony. Upon arrival at the ceremony, guests will be directed to separate seating from those receiving citizenship. 

https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/community-and-safety/community-support/multicultural-services/citizenship-information 

Edited by Slav

Hi Everyone

I'm from Melbourne CBD(part of Melbourne City Council) and currently awaiting my citizenship ceremony.

It's been more than 5 months since my application got approved, but have not heard back on the ceremony date.
Any one in similar situation?

It looks Melbourne City Council has lot of baclog for ceremony dates.

Here is my timeline for Citizenship
Applied: 7 Jan 2020
Approved: 5 Feb 2021
Ceremony: Not yet got date

Thanks!

@Melb User The timeline for a ceremony after approval at the moment is 6-7 months, so you're still inside the expected timeline. You only hear between 2-4 weeks before your ceremony, so you could still be just on the horizon. If it goes past that timeframe (6-7 months) you can follow up with the department but until then they won't do anything. It's a waiting game I'm afraid...

4 minutes ago, RoEire said:

@Melb User The timeline for a ceremony after approval at the moment is 6-7 months, so you're still inside the expected timeline. You only hear between 2-4 weeks before your ceremony, so you could still be just on the horizon. If it goes past that timeframe (6-7 months) you can follow up with the department but until then they won't do anything. It's a waiting game I'm afraid...

Thanks RoEire for the update.

Hi all, 

I have a quick question:

I had my interview and test passed 100% and was in and out within 20mins, I took my test at a local Centrelink office on June 01st, was told there is no outstanding checks on June 24th, my question is, does the approval take significantly longer if your test is at a Centrelink office, I see from this thread that people get approved the same day... am I just unlucky or has this been the case for others that have tested at Centrelink offices. (I am remote so no other option).  

3 hours ago, Julies450 said:

Hi all, 

I have a quick question:

I had my interview and test passed 100% and was in and out within 20mins, I took my test at a local Centrelink office on June 01st, was told there is no outstanding checks on June 24th, my question is, does the approval take significantly longer if your test is at a Centrelink office, I see from this thread that people get approved the same day... am I just unlucky or has this been the case for others that have tested at Centrelink offices. (I am remote so no other option).  

Hi @Julies450

I, too, am in the same boat. Tested and Passed at Centrelink last month but no approval so far. Hopefully it comes soon!!!

Regards, 

2 hours ago, AlmostOZ said:

Hi @Julies450

I, too, am in the same boat. Tested and Passed at Centrelink last month but no approval so far. Hopefully it comes soon!!!

Regards, 

@Julies450, @AlmostOZ
Once you pass Citizenship test, Approval status is updated Online first in your ImmiAcount, you can check it by logging in to https://online.immi.gov.au
You won't get any email for this and a physical approval gets sent by postal mail after few weeks of status being updated online.

I did not take my test at Centrelink, so issue in your case may be different. But just wanted to let you know that online update is few weeks before the actual approval letter getting mailed.

Edited by Melb User

I have read here (but don’t have personal experience of it) that seems to suggest it does take that bit longer to go from test to approval if it’s at a centrelink rather than an immigration office. Can’t point to anywhere official it says that, but I’ve seen it come up anecdotally here. Fingers crossed it comes through for you soon!

10 hours ago, RoEire said:

I have read here (but don’t have personal experience of it) that seems to suggest it does take that bit longer to go from test to approval if it’s at a centrelink rather than an immigration office. Can’t point to anywhere official it says that, but I’ve seen it come up anecdotally here. Fingers crossed it comes through for you soon!

Hi RoEire, 

The Australian National Audit Office conducted inquiries into the ID Verification process (which is the approval stage) of Citizenship Applications in 2015. It does outline a longer process for tests conducted at Centrelinks as it relies on a different method to enter and communicate data. It should take up to 8 weeks, but delays are another thing that have been pointed out in the report. 

https://www.anao.gov.au/work/performance-audit/verifying-identity-citizenship-program 

Edited by Randall

On 27/06/2021 at 17:42, RoEire said:

Oh I meant to ask - I presume it was via email?

Sorry just caught up with this - Yes by Email! but I have also seen it appear in my Immi account too. but they will email you so u dont miss it (I haven't gotten any physical post on it). best of luck

Good news on a Saturday, my timeline:

489 Granted 08/04/2016

Arrived in Oz 03/01/2017

Applied PR 03/02/2019

Granted PR 12/05/2020

Applied for Citizenship 13/05/2021

Invited to test 25/05/2021

Test passed  01/06/2021 @ Centrelink 

Citizenship approved 10/07/2021

Am overjoyed and so grateful it has been a quick process....now the wait for a Ceremony ☺️

Good luck and warm wishes to all that are waiting.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Julies450 said:

Good news on a Saturday, my timeline:

489 Granted 08/04/2016

Arrived in Oz 03/01/2017

Applied PR 03/02/2019

Granted PR 12/05/2020

Applied for Citizenship 13/05/2021

Invited to test 25/05/2021

Test passed  01/06/2021 @ Centrelink 

Citizenship approved 10/07/2021

Am overjoyed and so grateful it has been a quick process....now the wait for a Ceremony ☺️

Good luck and warm wishes to all that are waiting.  

pls advise whereabouts you applied for the citizenship.