AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

58 minutes ago, VicApplicant said:

I’m the same but don’t think that I can wait for ceremony to head overseas. I asked the day I did my test in Melbourne CBD and they said the waiting times weren’t that bad but didnt give me an indication of number. I saw on another blog that someone passed in Jan 21 and got a ceremony in April 21 so that gave me some hope. People generally hear by email (but again I’ve asked and neither council nor Immi will confirm). I called immi last week and they said u typically find out 4 weeks prior if u are on list so I’m guessing that’s about this week for Jul ceremony. 

Oh the four weeks notice is better than I thought, someone else had told me 2 weeks, and because we're moving mid-July I was getting nervous. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for July! If you do get your letter, would you mind letting me know, so then I'll at least know they've gone out and I didn't get one 🤣 

2 minutes ago, RoEire said:

Oh the four weeks notice is better than I thought, someone else had told me 2 weeks, and because we're moving mid-July I was getting nervous. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for July! If you do get your letter, would you mind letting me know, so then I'll at least know they've gone out and I didn't get one 🤣 

For sure I’ll let you know! I just called the council this morning to see more info and they weren’t able to anything. You are right though some people only get 2 weeks notice which is very close. You can defer your ceremony though and you guys will be fine to do the March 22 ceremony as it’s still within 12months of your approval date. When you get invited, just defer ceremony. I totally understand it’s easier to sort now prior to going cos you can’t plan flights etc. It’s just such a bummer being caught in Vic backlog!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RoEire said:

Also no harm in doing FOI again. Strange they said it was too general 

15 minutes ago, VicApplicant said:

For sure I’ll let you know! I just called the council this morning to see more info and they weren’t able to anything. You are right though some people only get 2 weeks notice which is very close. You can defer your ceremony though and you guys will be fine to do the March 22 ceremony as it’s still within 12months of your approval date. When you get invited, just defer ceremony. I totally understand it’s easier to sort now prior to going cos you can’t plan flights etc. It’s just such a bummer being caught in Vic backlog!

I think it's just as bad in Sydney in terms of ceremonies - from what I've heard from friends. Though obviously their actual applications were processed quicker because they didn't have the shut down. But NSW having virtual ceremonies is definitely an advantage - going to try and try to get one of those when we relocate if we haven't heard from Port Phillip. In theory if it doesn't come up, I know we could apply for the exemption to go over seas for the 6 months without the ceremony being completed, but with the borders the way they are I'd be worried about our capacity to get back in, and the citizenship is too much to risk. Anyway, we'll all get there in the end! 🙂

On 04/06/2021 at 12:19, Monstero26 said:

I got approved Nov-2020 as well and still have not received ceremony invites...

I called DoHA last month, but it was futile... I just got told that the current waiting times from Approval to Ceremony is 7months... so basically, I'm still within the waiting times.

Hi mate.. did you received invite for July ceremony??!

Hi All ~

I have been a silent member in this forum for quite long time and need some advice in my situation.

So I have got my Citizenship application approved in May and waiting for ceremony invitation. 

But I have to return to my home country asap due to urgent health issues of my family.

I just browsed the homeaffairs website about citizenship ceremony and found they will consider a request to attend ceremony at Aus overseas embassy or consulate.

So just wondering can I have similar request if I cannot return to Australia in a short time due to the health of my family? 

Has anyone had similar request and succeeded?or under what circumstances do they usually allow applicants to attend ceremony at Aus overseas embassy or consulate?

Thanks

537024044_2021-06-2412_52_48.thumb.png.4f834307ff1832857e3f3d012e0fa13e.png

On 22/06/2021 at 10:44, VicApplicant said:

Oh brilliant you got word of your ceremony. When did you receive this was it just today? Delighted for you. There is one in my council on 22nd July and trying to figure out when I would hear about it (if I got it!)

I got told via email Monday night about 6pm, and the ceremony is on Monday 12th so maybe they release them 3 weeks prior. Hopefully if the one in your council is on 22nd you might hear something around the 8th 👍 

On 22/06/2021 at 23:13, RoEire said:

I'm not too far behind you so @VicApplicant. Yeah, I directly asked the question and was told it was 'general' not specific. I've nothing to lose by throwing it in again - will let you know if I've any success!

Do you know if Port Phillip send the invites by post or by email by any chance - I may give them a call to find out. If you do find out about the waiting list - would you mind letting me know also please? 🙂 I think July may be a bit optimistic for me, since they said 6-7 months, but I can dream! Haven't been to Ireland to see my family in over 2 years, so we're hopeful of applying for an exemption to travel over there for 6 months, but waiting on the ceremony to be complete to go. 

Not sure if the councils send out their own or via a central system, this is the email address I got mine from - citizenship.letter@homeaffairs.gov.au

Hi All,

here is the timeline for my 9-year old son' citizenship application. No message in online application form for communication but email only.

- applied on Dec 28 2020

- received request for further information on Jun 21st 2021 by email only, status is still received

- replied on Jun 24th 2021

- final acquired status on Jun 24th 2021 in online application, no email was received

- location ACT

- waiting for next steps 

I am waiting for the Brisbane council too, like you, my application was approved in November last year. I have emailed and called several times and it is pretty much a waste of time. I have never received a reply to any of my emails. 

I hope you will get your invitation soon, I will let you know when I get one.

7 minutes ago, AnnetteV said:

I am waiting for the Brisbane council too, like you, my application was approved in November last year. I have emailed and called several times and it is pretty much a waste of time. I have never received a reply to any of my emails. 

I hope you will get your invitation soon, I will let you know when I get one.

I did the same and I am loosing hope as nothing is happening and I am not sure if we ever going to recieve the invite this year with the amount of backlog they have

On 24/06/2021 at 13:03, RMT-TX200A said:

But I have to return to my home country asap due to urgent health issues of my family.

I just browsed the homeaffairs website about citizenship ceremony and found they will consider a request to attend ceremony at Aus overseas embassy or consulate.

So just wondering can I have similar request if I cannot return to Australia in a short time due to the health of my family? 

Has anyone had similar request and succeeded?or under what circumstances do they usually allow applicants to attend ceremony at Aus overseas embassy or consulate?

Thanks

537024044_2021-06-2412_52_48.thumb.png.4f834307ff1832857e3f3d012e0fa13e.png

As I understand it, very few people get approved for an overseas ceremony.  It is not usual.  You may be lucky because they are being more lenient with many rules due to Covid, so all you can do is try.  Otherwise it will just have to wait till you get back, so make sure you  have a valid RRV before you go.

I think your first problem will be getting a travel exemption to leave Australia.

Edited by Marisawright

Hi all back again

Application submitted 26/05/2021/:WA Perth

16/06/21 Received an email  requesting form 1399.Form submitted next day,

23/06/21 received invite for interview and test for 28/07/21 wish me luck need to pass hopefully get virtual ceremony too.

Good luck to everyone 

I have my citizenship test on Wednesday. I have submitted my police clearance certificate online. I dont have original hardcopy of that certificate since it was sent to me online. Today I  received an email from department saying you need to bring original police clearance. Will taking a print out of that be enough?

7 minutes ago, Zare said:

I have my citizenship test on Wednesday. I have submitted my police clearance certificate online. I dont have original hardcopy of that certificate since it was sent to me online. Today I  received an email from department saying you need to bring original police clearance. Will taking a print out of that be enough?

Since you don’t have it, I guess you’ll have to bring the printed copy. I’d go to the interview knowing that you might have to rescheduled it and asked to return with the original one.

In any case, I find it funny that they’re requesting you to bring the clearance when Home Affairs will do all the identity, background and police checks necessary after the interview but before approval .

Let us know how it goes. 

Edited by Randall

7 minutes ago, Zare said:

Questions:

1. Which country does provide online police certificate?

2. Today? Do you mean some COs of DHA are still working on Saturday?

1 minute ago, Ding said:

Questions:

1. Which country does provide online police certificate?

2. Today? Do you mean some COs of DHA are still working on Saturday?

1. Just as some trivia, Brazil issues both Federal and State police clearances online and they are issued instantly. 

2. I have friends who received communication from DHA over the weekend regarding ceremony and interview.