AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

16 minutes ago, alan.chan4411 said:

Application date: 25/07/2020

Invitation to test: 9/03/2021

Test date: 30/04/2021 Launceston

Approval: Awaiting

Ceremony: Awaiting

It has been nearly two months now since I took the test. I read from some others and they got the approval on the same date as the test. I have been waiting for nearly two months now and my application status on the Immi Account is still "Received". My application is for the Citizenship by Conferral. Is it normal?

Normal. Wait until it’s been 8 full weeks and give DoHA a ring and ask what’s the hold up. I wouldn’t stress too much about it, though. Depending on the area you’re applying (i.e. regional, whether or not there’s a Home Affairs office at your location or if centrelink is conducting tests), that might delay approval. 

My grandma used to say bad news travels fast. If it’s been almost 8 weeks, immi would’ve contacted you there’d been any problem. Hang in there, buddy. 

Test completed today. My application is on Received status as my NZ police Clearance has to be verified before they finalise my case. The officer said it might be 2-5 days for verification but given most ppl here with received status had to wait 2 months for status change, I think I'm also on the waiting game. Next update after approval. 

Also, they indicated 6-8 months waiting time for ceremony in Brisbane city council.

I did a FOI on number of applications awaiting ceremony in Brisbane city council and the number is ~8100.

1230959260_ScreenShot2021-06-14at4_24_35pm.thumb.png.0a948bad8463815c5f52625d117eda19.png

42 minutes ago, ozshuttler said:

Test completed today. My application is on Received status as my NZ police Clearance has to be verified before they finalise my case. The officer said it might be 2-5 days for verification but given most ppl here with received status had to wait 2 months for status change, I think I'm also on the waiting game. Next update after approval. 

Also, they indicated 6-8 months waiting time for ceremony in Brisbane city council.

I did a FOI on number of applications awaiting ceremony in Brisbane city council and the number is ~8100.

1230959260_ScreenShot2021-06-14at4_24_35pm.thumb.png.0a948bad8463815c5f52625d117eda19.png

Hi, 

Can  you please advise the format or template for FOI? I would like to submit FOI for Inner West NSW number waiting for ceremony...

4 hours ago, ozshuttler said:

Hi mate, 

What do you mean of NZ police clearance verification? Is it refer to CO to verify the police check documentation you upload is genuine? Thanks.

8 hours ago, ozshuttler said:

Holy shit

19 hours ago, ozshuttler said:

Not surprising.. They have just conducted 3 ceremonies so far in 2021 and there is no ceremony planned for June.. moving at a snail's pace.. 😞

I got my application approved in Nov 2020, still no signs for ceremony invitation... 

Edited by Chennaiguy

On 08/06/2021 at 13:25, Natoskiii22 said:

Everytime i call the Department they say i'm within timelines and they cant check my application and i have to wait,  i did ask for FOI and received the results and all screenshots showed all green and No matches in any of the security checks , which means all going well and nothing pending. but no approval 

Hi Natoskii, 

I requested FOI last week ,but got the reply with:
The Department’s Freedom of Information Section manages formal requests for access to documents under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act).  Your enquiry is general in nature, and this Section of the Department is unable to assist you.

May I ask what's the phrase did you say in your FOI request, then the DHA won't reply like this? Thank you. 

On 14/06/2021 at 16:57, skyfall said:

Applied for citizenship:26 March 2021

Citizenship interview letter: 7 May 2021

Test : 14 June passed with 100%

status changed to approved after 2 hours 

Now waiting for ceremony (Perth W.A)

It appears Perth is on the roll any advise on how to pass test ,I haven't even looked at it thought it would take a while to have application looked at.

On 14/06/2021 at 17:08, SunMoon said:

Hi, 

Can  you please advise the format or template for FOI? I would like to submit FOI for Inner West NSW number waiting for ceremony...

On the FOI request form I entered only this line and the reply received as in screenshot i attached earlier.

the number of people awaiting citizenship ceremony in Brisbane city council area.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2021 at 20:41, Ding said:

Hi mate, 

What do you mean of NZ police clearance verification? Is it refer to CO to verify the police check documentation you upload is genuine? Thanks.

Yeah, to verify that the document is genuine. They asked me to sign a declaration to consent for privacy information sharing with the department. They will use this consent form and request NZ Justice for verification of my police clearance letter.

Also, this step is only for NZ police clearance I believe because the declaration was specific to Ministry of Justice NZ and they did not ask similar declaration for my India Police Clearance. 

Edited by ozshuttler

On 14/06/2021 at 16:25, ozshuttler said:

Number is increasing from Nov 2020. There were 4,312 clients whose applications for citizenship by conferral had been approved and were waiting for a citizenship ceremony hosted by the Brisbane City Council as 30 Nov 2020.

Also, below is the number of applications who attended citizenship ceremonies per month at BCC from Jan 2020 to Sep 2020. I'm waiting for the updated number until 2021. 

image.png.54b1b895d7e06a33d08cfcfdf867cab8.png

Looking at the number of 2020, it seems that BCC can increase number of invite to ceremonies per month. That's up to them. If they invite about 2000 applicants per month, ~8100 applicants will only need 4 months to reach. But the big question will be, how many people they invite per month? 

I'll wait for the updated numbers and let you know.

13 hours ago, ZULU2000 said:

It appears Perth is on the roll any advise on how to pass test ,I haven't even looked at it thought it would take a while to have application looked at.

Hi,

Download Common Bond booklet from Home affairs. Search citizenship test questions on google you will find many to practice. 

• Like 1

Hi All,

Got my Citizenship Ceremony Invite for the 30th of June 2021!

Timeline below!

Eligible: 23rd July 2020
Applied: 23rd July 2020
Location requested: Sydney
Test date : 6th March 2021
Test location: Sydney CBD
Ceremony Invite Received : 8th June 2021
Ceremony date: 30th June 2021.
Council : City of Canada Bay.

I did not get an email or letter from the council. I got an email from DHA with my ceremony details. I also had the same message as a pdf in my immiaccount if that clarifies. Looks like the local councils don't send the ceremony invites anymore.

1 hour ago, tungly said:

Number is increasing from Nov 2020. There were 4,312 clients whose applications for citizenship by conferral had been approved and were waiting for a citizenship ceremony hosted by the Brisbane City Council as 30 Nov 2020.

Also, below is the number of applications who attended citizenship ceremonies per month at BCC from Jan 2020 to Sep 2020. I'm waiting for the updated number until 2021. 

image.png.54b1b895d7e06a33d08cfcfdf867cab8.png

Looking at the number of 2020, it seems that BCC can increase number of invite to ceremonies per month. That's up to them. If they invite about 2000 applicants per month, ~8100 applicants will only need 4 months to reach. But the big question will be, how many people they invite per month? 

I'll wait for the updated numbers and let you know.

Wow, they've done 6500 invitations in Jan 2020. May be Australia Day ceremony event in a stadium or something? Somewhere I read their capacity is only 600 per ceremony event at their usual venue. If they can do so much, it is about time they clear the backlog sooner. 

39 minutes ago, ozshuttler said:

Wow, they've done 6500 invitations in Jan 2020. May be Australia Day ceremony event in a stadium or something? Somewhere I read their capacity is only 600 per ceremony event at their usual venue. If they can do so much, it is about time they clear the backlog sooner

Yes, BCC mentioned in their website that they can only host 600 per ceremony.

If they host only 600 people for each ceremony, ~8100 will need 13 months to clear. That will be a huge backlog because DHA Brisbane conducts about ~2000 test per month.

image.png.8601807ded6d7cd3968eea62c1369a08.png

Anyway, need to wait for the updated statistic.

20 minutes ago, tungly said:

Yes, BCC mentioned in their website that they can only host 600 per ceremony.

If they host only 600 people for each ceremony, ~8100 will need 13 months to clear. That will be a huge backlog because DHA Brisbane conducts about ~2000 test per month.

There is nothing in the regulations that restrict them to only holding one ceremony per month. One a week would exceed the ~2000 test per month.

Hi! I’m finally an Australian! 🎉

My timeline is as below:

Application submitted: 14 Dec 2020

Citizenship appointment: 30 Apr 2021

Test and Interview: 10 May 2021

**approved same day**

Virtual Ceremony requested: 10 June 2021

Virtual Ceremony granted: 11 June 2021

Virtual ceremony: 26 June 2021

Thank you for your support and everyone who shares their timeline. Good luck with your journey! 

1 hour ago, Ting.H said:

Hi! I’m finally an Australian! 🎉

My timeline is as below:

Application submitted: 14 Dec 2020

Citizenship appointment: 30 Apr 2021

Test and Interview: 10 May 2021

**approved same day**

Virtual Ceremony requested: 10 June 2021

Virtual Ceremony granted: 11 June 2021

Virtual ceremony: 26 June 2021

Thank you for your support and everyone who shares their timeline. Good luck with your journey! 

Hi there! Congrats mate! Can I ask what reason you used for virtual ceremony?