AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

Just thought I'd give my timeline:

• Granted PR: 23/07/2019
  • Applied for citizenship: 23/07/2020
  • Invited for interview/test: 20/05/2021
  • Interview/test: Originally 17/06/2021, rescheduled for 24/05/2021 (only asked for my driver's licence and my occupation)
  • Approved: 24/05/2021 (8 hours after test)
  • Ceremony invite: TBA (Manningham Council, VIC)

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if changing my address could impact my ceremony dates?

I live in Cumberland council NSW and is planning to move either to Parramatta or The Hills Shire Council - Below is my timeline:

• Citizenship Application: May'2020
  • Interview/Test: Jan'2021 (Parramatta)
  • Approved: Jan'2021 (Same Day)
  • Ceremony invite: TBA 

Will my ceremony be delayed since I would be changing my residential address - It will be 6 moths in couple of weeks for my approval.

Your feedback will be highly appreciated!

5 hours ago, AM19 said:

Hello Everyone!

I live in Cumberland council NSW and is planning to move either to Parramatta or The Hills Shire Council - Below is my timeline:

Will my ceremony be delayed since I would be changing my residential address - It will be 6 moths in couple of weeks for my approval.

Naturally. Each council has different ceremony dates and waiting lists. You can’t jump from a queue to another one and expected to be at the same place in it. 

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone on this forum that has been such a great source of information over the last six years or so years. I can honestly say it's one of the proudest achievements of my life and with my citizenship ceremony next week I wanted to share my timeline with anyone who is interested. 

Just wondering, after the ceremony how long will I need to wait before lodging the application for my passport? Also approximately how long does it take from lodging the passport until its received?

Many thanks to you all!

Permanent Resident 18/02/2019

Citizenship Application: 18/02/2020

Invitation: 20/01/2021

Test Date: 27/01/2021

Approval: 28/01/2021

Invitation: 29/04/2021

Ceremony: 02/06/2021 (Hornsby)

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 2

On 24/05/2021 at 10:27, rammygirl said:

As above applied mid feb and was invited for test late April test date was mid May and he is awaiting ceremony date now. 
I don’t have exact dates but looks like you might hear June/July re test date. 

Thanks 🙂

9 hours ago, AM19 said:

Hello Everyone!

Hiya! I know it was suggested above that you were hoping to jump council and retain the same date for your ceremony, but I don't think that's what you're hoping to do - just retain your place based the date of your approval, which I think is pretty reasonable!

I spoke to the department about this (we're considering a move) and the advice that I was given was that if I was to move Council now, I would be put on the new councils list and my position on that list would be based on the date of my approval grant. As each council has a longer or shorter list, more or less frequent ceremonies, it's impossible to predict whether it would mean your ceremony will be sooner or later because of the move. You could move to a council where your approval date puts you number one in the queue, but that council may have only one ceremony a year (an extreme example I know!) so in theory it might be longer than your current council where you could be position 200 but they have ceremonies every month. 

In short, it's very hard to know. I would suggest you just need to weigh up the factors for your move, and base them solely on that. Your ceremony will hopefully come around shortly anyway! Best of luck!

17 hours ago, VicApplicant said:

Who did u contact??

If you are based in NSW, you can try virtual.ceremony.nsw@homeaffairs.gov.au, but would require compelling reason to want to have a virtual ceremony.

I should also mention the lady administering the test only asked for my drivers licence as proof of identity. Nothing else. She said that post Covid they haven't been checking many documents at all, only bare minimum. So I brought all those other docs with me for nothing haha.

Edited by Canada2Australia

5 hours ago, LT85 said:

If you are based in NSW, you can try virtual.ceremony.nsw@homeaffairs.gov.au, but would require compelling reason to want to have a virtual ceremony.

Thanks I’m in VIC so won’t be able! I have a compelling reason (I believe) but haven’t heard back!

Hello guys,

i’m having the test this Saturday. But i’m confused with my driver license now since i went to the bank and the staff there said my name on the license is wrong as it doesn’t have my middle name in there. I’ve been using it for years with no problems.

does anyone knows if the Victoria license will show middle name or not?

my name is 4 words ( 3 words middle name and 1 word surname) and the license only shows first name (1 words) and sure name. All of my other documents such as bank statements, passport, visa, etc are show all 4 words name

thank you

Edited by Diemlinh

3 minutes ago, Diemlinh said:

Hello guys,

i’m having the test this Saturday. But i’m confused with my driver license now since i went to the bank and the staff there said my name on the license is wrong as it doesn’t have my middle name in there. I’ve been using it for years with no problems.

does anyone knows if the Victoria license will show middle name or not?

my name is 4 words ( 3 words middle name and 1 word surname) and the license only shows first name (1 words) and sure name. All of my other documents such as bank statements, passport, visa, etc are show all 4 words name

thank you

The invitation letter is clear: bring any documents you believe will help prove your identity. You don’t have to show your drivers license, your passport will do. Bring both, along with your birth certificate and if they ask, you just tell what happened. You won’t be the first nor the last person who this has happened to. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, APR said:

Hi any idea about processing time in Brisbane 

Absolutely slooooowwww.. I mean, you will get a test invite and approval within 3-5 months from the date of lodgement. However, the ceremony will take way too long from there. I know someone who applied in Jan 2020 and approved in Sep 2020 just had ceremony 3 days back. I got approved in Nov  2020 - still no glimpse of ceremony invite as the next ceremony is only at July. 😞 

BCC has done only 3 ceremonies so far in 2021.

20 hours ago, AirbusA389 said:

Is anyone from Tasmania and still waiting for their application? 

my application details: 

application date: 15 Feb 2021

current status: received 

I'm based in Launceston, does my case get processed in Launceston or Hobart? 

i applied on 4/12/20 

i'm based in Circular head

still waiting

I’m not sure if this is normal but my birth certificate doesn’t have details of my parents on it. Just wondering as for the birth name, date and gender on the documents table it says about details of parents? Don’t want to turn up and it not be accepted but have never had a problem with it? Thanks!

11 hours ago, Chennaiguy said:

Absolutely slooooowwww.. I mean, you will get a test invite and approval within 3-5 months from the date of lodgement. However, the ceremony will take way too long from there. I know someone who applied in Jan 2020 and approved in Sep 2020 just had ceremony 3 days back. I got approved in Nov  2020 - still no glimpse of ceremony invite as the next ceremony is only at July. 😞 

BCC has done only 3 ceremonies so far in 2021.

Just sharing my timeline maybe it helps others bit .

BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL 

Citizenship Application = 22/7/2020

TEST INVITATION = 26/11/2020

Citizenship Test = 9/12/2020 got approved in 10 sec after test

Citizenship ceremony email came = 19/05/2021

Citizenship ceremony = 19/06/20