AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

On 26/04/2021 at 08:42, Sere said:

Hello 

I have my citizenship test on next Monday and I was wondering to know if anyone have done the test recently and what kind of question they asked?

plus were did u practise before the test?

thanks

Read this book 

15 hours ago, Randall said:

All documents should be NAATI certified. I’d rather err on the side of caution. After having spent so much money on immigration after the years, I just find it easier to do things as they ask, even in the case they won’t even look at the document (which for some people they don’t). 

Depending on what your timeline is looking like, you can request a free translation through your ImmiAccount, although they take approximately 10 working days to get back to you. 

https://translating.homeaffairs.gov.au/en

@Randall Thanks so much for the reply. I submitted my application last night with translations I already had. I guess I can request for free translations and attach them via my ImmiAccount. Thanks again for the info.

Hi everyone

New member to this forum. I have just lodged my citizenship application last week and following this thread for updates. Am from Brisbane and would like to know from other fellow brisbane ppl of the current processing time. Can some Brisbane guys advice their timeline?

On 25/04/2021 at 19:12, Skaur said:

Hello everyone, I am from regional SA applied yesterday for citizenship. What is in interview? How long its taking on SA? And my husband have limited english is there any way he can prepare for test easier. Sorry for many questions in first post. Thanks in advance 

Hi, I recently had my interview in NSW. The interview was pretty short.  It seemed the main point of the interview is to check some of the paperwork that you included in your application. They asked to look at my drivers license, passport and took a copy of the police check I had to get (because I had spent time outside Australia).

Honestly, I would describe the test as an English test. I suspect people's understanding of English is a large part of what is actually being tested. The questions are fairly straight forward, and if you have read 'Our Common Bond', everything is in there. Your husband can do practice tests online, but I found that the questions they asked were not necessarily linked to the 'Our Common Bond' booklet. ALL of the questions in the actual test were.

These were the sites I used to practice:

1. easydrivingtest.com.au

2. citizenshiptestaustralia.com.au

3. theaustraliantest.com

4. assiecitizenshiptest.com

5. free-australian-citizenship-test.musitrature.com

6. aussian.com

On the upside, he will likely have a couple of months to prepare. 

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

Received my citizenship ceremony invite today. It's been 8.5 years in Australia and I'm so happy to have finally received this email.

I applied for citizenship last May, passed my test at the end of January and got the invite today for May 15th. 

Also, if anyone's interested - I submitted an FOI request for a number of people waiting to be allocated to a ceremony in Lane Cove and received the response yesterday. As of 31 March 2021, there were 287 people waiting for a ceremony.

Hope you all get your citizenship test letters/ceremony invites soon 🙂 Stay positive!

Edited by stazi
  • Congratulations 2

Hi guys,

A friend did his test the same day I did in Darwin on 10/03/21, at Centrelink Darwin City. Mine was approved last week, 6 weeks later. His is still showing as Received. 

Anyone in a similar situation? 

P.S. I still haven’t received that letter your supposed to receive after approval, and I wonder if it has to do with the fact that in our applications we said we’d like to do the ceremony together. 

Good evening,

We have completed our Australian Citizenship test on 31/03/2021 at Centrelink in Darwin and all passed.

Timeline

Citizenship Application Lodged: 25/01/2021
Citizenship Appointment Letter Received: 24/02/2021
Citizenship Test Date: 31/03/2021 (Centrelink - Darwin)

We have not heard anything back yet... has anybody else done their test in Darwin around the same time and have you heard anything back?

PS: I think we are just being impatient!!  😀😫😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HiptoniX said:

Good evening,

We have completed our Australian Citizenship test on 31/03/2021 at Centrelink in Darwin and all passed.

Timeline

We have not heard anything back yet... has anybody else done their test in Darwin around the same time and have you heard anything back?

I did mine on 10/03 and got approved 21/04. My friend did his test on the same day, still waiting. 

• Thanks 1

On 28/04/2021 at 05:29, IMA said:

@Randall Thanks so much for the reply. I submitted my application last night with translations I already had. I guess I can request for free translations and attach them via my ImmiAccount. Thanks again for the info.

When it comes to translation they accept those documents that were translated for permanent residence purpose even when its not NAATI there is no caution there. it's just a waste of money since they already accept them for PR. I never translated anything with NAATI and it was all approved, I just placed a note on the title saying this translation is exactly the one that was used for PR.

To translate everything again is not really smart but certainly good for the translation business.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stazi said:

Hi all,

Received my citizenship ceremony invite today. It's been 8.5 years in Australia and I'm so happy to have finally received this email.

I applied for citizenship last May, passed my test at the end of January and got the invite today for May 15th. 

Also, if anyone's interested - I submitted an FOI request for a number of people waiting to be allocated to a ceremony in Lane Cove and received the response yesterday. As of 31 March 2021, there were 287 people waiting for a ceremony.

Hope you all get your citizenship test letters/ceremony invites soon 🙂 Stay positive!

Congrats !

Can you please share the format of tge email and where you send it to ? 

23 hours ago, stazi said:

I submitted an FOI request for a number of people waiting to be allocated to a ceremony in Lane Cove and received the response yesterday. As of 31 March 2021, there were 287 people waiting for a ceremony.

Hi.. How do you submit an FOI? Is it with DHA or city council?

Good evening,

Timeline

PS: I think we are just being impatient!!  [emoji3][emoji31][emoji12]

Wow really quick for you guys. [emoji106]
  • Thanks 1

On 17/02/2021 at 13:38, Dan H said:

Just received my approval today! No email or anything currently, but been checking my IMMI account religiously and the status has changed to approved! 

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE
Type: Citizenship by Conferral

Number of Applicants: 1
Application Submitted: May 7, 2020

Appointment Letter Received: January 15, 2021. 
Test and Interview: February 17, 2021 / Rescheduled via text message to February 11, 2021 
Approval: February 17, 2021 
Ceremony: TBD

Immi Status: 
Approved - February 17, 2021

Thanks for this update Dan, super useful!  Just wondering if you’ve had your ceremony now or if you’re booked in yet? Do you know if they’re still virtual in Waverley? Thanks so much! 

On 27/04/2021 at 13:53, Randall said:

All documents should be NAATI certified. I’d rather err on the side of caution. After having spent so much money on immigration after the years, I just find it easier to do things as they ask, even in the case they won’t even look at the document (which for some people they don’t). 

Depending on what your timeline is looking like, you can request a free translation through your ImmiAccount, although they take approximately 10 working days to get back to you. 

https://translating.homeaffairs.gov.au/en

Have to agree with this, I had my citizenship application knocked back in February because my marriage certificate wasn’t NAATI translated, despite the document on my PR application being approved previously.

I duly provided a NAATI copy but haven’t heard anything since. 
Bottom of the pile I guess.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2021 at 08:46, Hasan84 said:

Congrats !

Can you please share the format of tge email and where you send it to ? 

On 01/05/2021 at 16:03, ozshuttler said:

Hi.. How do you submit an FOI? Is it with DHA or city council?

I submitted my FOI request through the Department (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-and-support/departmental-forms/online-forms/foi). Nothing special in the formatting - just asked for the number of people waiting for a ceremony in the Lane Cove council. 

I submitted one in Feb as well asking for numbers of people waiting for a ceremony in all Sydney councils, but they refused that one because it was too broad I guess.

3 hours ago, stazi said:

I submitted my FOI request through the Department (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-and-support/departmental-forms/online-forms/foi). Nothing special in the formatting - just asked for the number of people waiting for a ceremony in the Lane Cove council. 

I submitted one in Feb as well asking for numbers of people waiting for a ceremony in all Sydney councils, but they refused that one because it was too broad I guess.

Thanks Stazi. 

Another question: my wife had a test on friday in sydney city office. 

I remmeber from my experience in parramatta office that we had to raise our hand and show the examiner that we have passed before leaving. The instruction to my wife were not clear and she left the centre after passing the test. 

Any potential issue with this ? Anyone had a similar experience. 

On 30/04/2021 at 23:28, HiptoniX said:

Good evening,

Timeline

same here test was 16/03/2021 and still awaiting approval  NSW

3 hours ago, Hasan84 said:

Another question: my wife had a test on friday in sydney city office. 

I remmeber from my experience in parramatta office that we had to raise our hand and show the examiner that we have passed before leaving. The instruction to my wife were not clear and she left the centre after passing the test. 

Any potential issue with this ? Anyone had a similar experience. 

was she too excited to reach the SALE in ZARA?

Yes, there maybe issues, until her application is approved.

Hi guys need a suggestion

Applied for my citizenship on 18/03/2021 Brisbane city, my wife and daughter still didn't reach the requirement for their citizenship 

I changed my daughters name after lodging my citizenship application and got a new birth certificate and change of name certificate. I have attached the two certificates is that enough or do I also need to apply for her new Indian passport ( which I will do in coming days) and attach the document.

Just wondering about the timeline for Brisbane city council.

Thanks