AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

So, both me and my wife have just received our Ceremony invitations today 😄 . Our timeline is below

Application date: 23/12/2019, 2 applications: me with my 8yo son and my wife

(First test appointment was around 05/2020 but was postponed due to Covid-19)

Test dates:
  - For me 05/02/2021, approved on spot
  - For my wife 22/02/2021, approved on 03/03/2021

Ceremony invitations: today 14/04/2021 for ceremony on 18/05/2021

I have tried to send an email to Victoria's virtual ceremony after my wife's approval, but didn't receive any response at all...

Application was in Melbourne VIC

Edited by David Ng
  • Congratulations 1

6 hours ago, David Ng said:

So, both me and my wife have just received our Ceremony invitations today 😄 . Our timeline is below

Application date: 23/12/2019, 2 applications: me with my 8yo son and my wife

(First test appointment was around 05/2020 but was postponed due to Covid-19)

Test dates:
  - For me 05/02/2021, approved on spot
  - For my wife 22/02/2021, approved on 03/03/2021

Ceremony invitations: today 14/04/2021 for ceremony on 18/05/2021

I have tried to send an email to Victoria's virtual ceremony after my wife's approval, but didn't receive any response at all...

Application was in Melbourne VIC

Hi David. Just wanted to ask if have you received an email regarding the Ceremony invitation or by post? We are also waiting for ours. Hope it arrives soon.

10 hours ago, MMarie said:

Hi David. Just wanted to ask if have you received an email regarding the Ceremony invitation or by post? We are also waiting for ours. Hope it arrives soon.

Just emails and messages in the List of correspondence when logged into ImmiAccount

image.thumb.png.4f2e3317598c74d0cfb7d0b23b376cae.png

Edited by David Ng

1 hour ago, David Ng said:

Just emails and messages in the List of correspondence when logged into ImmiAccount

image.thumb.png.4f2e3317598c74d0cfb7d0b23b376cae.png

Hi David,

It appears that we dont get my email or message in this account once application is approved after test? We just have to keep checking out account ? 

For all members my timeline is below

Application date 7Oct20

Test invitation date 8Apr21 

Test date: 13Apr21 (rescheduled from 6May21)

Council: Canterbury Bankstown (NSW)

Please feel free to ask me any questions about my application. 

19 minutes ago, Hasan84 said:

Hi David,

It appears that we dont get my email or message in this account once application is approved after test? We just have to keep checking out account ? 

For all members my timeline is below

Application date 7Oct20

Test invitation date 8Apr21 

Test date: 13Apr21 (rescheduled from 6May21)

Council: Canterbury Bankstown (NSW)

Please feel free to ask me any questions about my application. 

Correct, I didn't get any notification when our applications were approved (the same was reported by many other users).

I just checked my ImmiAccount daily and saw my applications changed to approved (I know, I was a bit impatient but who wasn't?!)

28 minutes ago, David Ng said:

Correct, I didn't get any notification when our applications were approved (the same was reported by many other users).

I just checked my ImmiAccount daily and saw my applications changed to approved (I know, I was a bit impatient but who wasn't?!)

Cool. Thanks for the info. 

Judging the the posts from other members it appears it is just luck the time from test to approval. Some people got it straight away and some had to wait weeks. 

I will also be the impatient one and check daily !

I applied 22 May 2020 and just received a test interview in Melbourne (date in early June and easily rescheduled to late April)

I noticed on the letter that you need to bring your original birth certificate? I uploaded a copy for every visa before this and don't have the original document in the country. Does anyone have experience with this? I may need to reschedule to a later date to allow postage time from overseas... 

15 minutes ago, Cooey said:

I applied 22 May 2020 and just received a test interview in Melbourne (date in early June and easily rescheduled to late April)

I noticed on the letter that you need to bring your original birth certificate? I uploaded a copy for every visa before this and don't have the original document in the country. Does anyone have experience with this? I may need to reschedule to a later date to allow postage time from overseas... 

Don't worry about that. They will go through all your uploads on the day of your Interview. If you uploaded a high enough quality colour scan of your original birth certificate, that will be enough. I used the same scan for my Visa application 7 years ago, and for my Citizenship application, they didn't ask for any additional documents from me on my interview date.

They may still ask for it, but it is very unlikely!

Hi everyone!  I'm new here...

I'm sharing my timeline:

Application submitted/acknowledgment: 04/01/2021

Nationality: Brazil

I have some questions. I live in Melbourne at the moment and indicated the Melbourne CBD office as the closest to home. But I selected the Cairns office as the preferred location for the interview and test in my application. Does anyone know if that makes a difference? I'd like to speed up the process as Melbourne has been very slow, and I'm willing to move to another area if that makes a difference (apart from individual circumstances). Anyone who applied from Cairns in 2021 could share their timelines, please?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Cooey said:

Get it posted to you today , it can reach you for any future purposes. Good to keep your own BC in your own house.

Because of covid 19, DEPTT don't like to ask / touch many documents. ONLY essentials like DL/Passport.

3 hours ago, David Ng said:

Don't worry about that. They will go through all your uploads on the day of your Interview. If you uploaded a high enough quality colour scan of your original birth certificate, that will be enough. I used the same scan for my Visa application 7 years ago, and for my Citizenship application, they didn't ask for any additional documents from me on my interview date.

They may still ask for it, but it is very unlikely!

For me the case officer did ask to see the original through the glass along with passport, DL and medicare card. 

So I suppose err on the side of caution and try to get it here before the interview if you can.

Hi everyone,

I passed my citizenship test and got approved on the same day on 22 Feb 2021.

The next day, we moved to a new address and I also notified and updated my details on my immi account. 
Until now I still haven’t got any invitation for the ceremony. I’m afraid that it was sent to my old address or am I just feeling rushed about it? As I’ve seen from the above posts, they also send a message to the immi account. Checked mine and there’s none.
I guess I’m just being too excited about my citizenship ceremony?(who wouldn’t? lol)

Thanks in advance! 🙂

15 hours ago, Xavy said:

Hi everyone,

I passed my citizenship test and got approved on the same day on 22 Feb 2021.

The next day, we moved to a new address and I also notified and updated my details on my immi account. 
Until now I still haven’t got any invitation for the ceremony. I’m afraid that it was sent to my old address or am I just feeling rushed about it? As I’ve seen from the above posts, they also send a message to the immi account. Checked mine and there’s none.
I guess I’m just being too excited about my citizenship ceremony?(who wouldn’t? lol)

Thanks in advance! 🙂

too excited ?

Well, as a rule, if you relocate after approval, 

Change address in IMMI + Call 131880 and confess. They will move your file to new place.

If you had plans to move to new address very next day, why did not you tell the case officer about your relocation? They could have moved your file to new address.

12 minutes ago, Melbournian said:

too excited ?

Well, as a rule, if you relocate after approval, 

Change address in IMMI + Call 131880 and confess. They will move your file to new place.

If you had plans to move to new address very next day, why did not you tell the case officer about your relocation? They could have moved your file to new address.

Yeah just kinda excited but yeah no point in rushing actually. 
I just moved to a new suburb 5mins from my former address, still here in ACT. 
Two other friends took the test and got approved on the same day as mine and they still haven’t got any mail so I’m assuming there’s just a backlog.

My bad, should’ve told the officer about it.

2 minutes ago, Xavy said:

Yeah just kinda excited but yeah no point in rushing actually. 
I just moved to a new suburb 5mins from my former address, still here in ACT. 
Two other friends took the test and got approved on the same day as mine and they still haven’t got any mail so I’m assuming there’s just a backlog.

My bad, should’ve told the officer about it.

New suburb under same council ???

If No, Call 131880 and confess. They will move your file to new place.

Hello everyone

I am new to this forum

I have applied for citizenship in October 2020 have not heard anything yet

Application status is rreceived

Is there any way i can ask department about actual status of my application ?

i have seen many people in this forum who received test and interview invitation pretty quick so is there any way i can speed up my application?

i am moving to USA in August 2021 for 2 year MBA studies so hoping if i can short out before that 

I am in north central Queensland , is it possible that because for regional area my application is progressing slow?

any suggestions will be very helpful

thanks 

2 minutes ago, Melbournian said:

you can call 131880, but in your case to speed it up..... they will Say NO.

There is no way, specially if you want to goto USA for MBA, after getting AUS Passport.

I do not want to go to USA after getting passport 

all i am worried about is will  my stay over there affect my application?

what if my application open up when i am there ?

Also just curious that many people who applied around me got some or other update so why i have not heard anything yet?

I have contacted few agents but as i applied by my own they are not happy to assist 

56 minutes ago, pal21 said:

I do not want to go to USA after getting passport 

all i am worried about is will  my stay over there affect my application?

what if my application open up when i am there ?

Also just curious that many people who applied around me got some or other update so why i have not heard anything yet?

I have contacted few agents but as i applied by my own they are not happy to assist 

Home Affairs is clear:

1) If you’re offshore, you cannot be conferred citizenship. 

2) You’ll have to wait 4-6 months for interview after lodging the application.

3) Up to 6 weeks for approval. 

4) Up to 5 months for the ceremony. 

If you’re within these timeframes, do not call them because you’re just wasting everybody’s time. Also, DO NOT leave Australia because it WILL delay your process. 

Edited by Randall
typo

7 minutes ago, Randall said:

Home Affairs is clear:

1) If you’re offshore, you cannot be conferred citizenship. 

2) You’ll have to wait 4-6 months for interview after lodging the application.

3) Up to 6 weeks for approval. 

4) Up to 5 months for the ceremony. 

If you’re within these timeframes, do not call them because you’re just wasting everybody’s time. Also, DO NOT leave Australia because it WILL delay your process. 

Thanks for your response

so if by end of this month i don't heard anything from them or get interview call then i should contact them ? as i applied in octomber 2020 so it will be 6 months in april