AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

3 hours ago, Sere said:

Hello everyone 

what website / app did u use to get ready for the citizenship test?

Use the link on the immi site all the info and practise test is there. I did just google up some free tests but some were much harder. The actual test only asks questions related to the stuff on the immi site. Pin down the basic history and politics and the rest should be common sense. Also the questions can be phrased awkwardly so read them carefully. 

I received an unexpected yet pleasant surprise this morning; an email with an appointment date for my citizenship test................26th of May.

Twenty months after the application was submitted, it's finally happening. The status of the application still indicates 'received' on my ImmiAccount, interestingly enough.

Edited by Canada2Australia
  • Congratulations 1

4 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

I received an unexpected yet pleasant surprise this morning; an email with an appointment date for my citizenship test................26th of May.

Twenty months after the application was submitted, it's finally happening. The status of the application still indicates 'received' on my ImmiAccount, interestingly enough.

Great news! I managed to bring my test/interview forward considerably (rescheduled it for 3 days after I got the letter/email rather than waiting until mid-May). You may be able to do the same if you want to - just scroll down the letter and click in the reschedule link. 

My application stayed as 'received' and then changed to 'approved' shortly after I had passed the test and had my interview. Think that is normal.

1 minute ago, pearplumpie said:

Great news! I managed to bring my test/interview forward considerably (rescheduled it for 3 days after I got the letter/email rather than waiting until mid-May). You may be able to do the same if you want to - just scroll down the letter and click in the reschedule link. 

My application stayed as 'received' and then changed to 'approved' shortly after I had passed the test and had my interview. Think that is normal.

Ah okay. Not sure if I want to rock the boat and ask for a change of date if I don't have a valid reason to do so. They may not be impressed. 

1 minute ago, Canada2Australia said:

Ah okay. Not sure if I want to rock the boat and ask for a change of date if I don't have a valid reason to do so. They may not be impressed. 

It's an automated rescheduling process done online - I actually changed mine 4 times as earlier appointments kept opening up. Totally up to you, but it won't affect your application should you try. Good luck with the test!

• Like 1

I brought mine forward to. Got invited on 8th April and did my test on 9th April. Its automated you just login and you will be able see slots that are available.

Good luck 👍

27 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Limit8 said:

Brisbane now hasn't had a ceremony for close to 3 months what a shame! to add insult to injury QLD is the only state that doesn't even offer virtual ceremonies. These timelines are just unacceptable! 

Brisbane really doesn't offer the virtual ceremony???  May I ask where do you know this from?

3 hours ago, tatiana said:

Brisbane really doesn't offer the virtual ceremony???  May I ask where do you know this from?

Well i asked myself like 4 times and not even a single answer from them. Also from the timelines of people in the forum not a single VR in QLD; despite many offered in Melbourne, Adelaide and NSW.

Edited by Limit8
  • Sad 1

Ahhhhh it's finally happened. I've just received my email for my Citizenship Appointment here in Melbourne. Lodged originally on 15/05/20, but then everything hit the skids here with the lockdown. I honestly thought it would take much longer to get my interview appointment as I thought they'd have such a backlog in Melbourne, especially with the extended time it took for civil servants to come back to work. 

Appointment for 2 weeks time, on a Saturday - I didn't even realise they did weekend appointments which is amazing. Going to look through the booklet tonight to study up and if I'm confident enough, I'll try rescheduling for an earlier appointment. 

Quick one - do I need to learn the words of the National Anthem off by heart? It's in the testable section but I was just the pits at learning poems or lyrics off by heart in school, so it's giving me flash backs. I can mumble along fairly well, but not a chance of reciting the whole thing under pressure 😁

5 hours ago, pearplumpie said:

I tried rescheduling; there is nothing available between today and the obligatory date. So the 26th of May it is.

Yeah, I had a look initially at rescheduling but my appointment is pretty soon, so doubt I'll get sooner. There were loads of appointments in May when I looked and now when I've gone back in 20 minutes later, there's nothing until June. Although you might get a last minute cancellation if you keep looking, I suppose it just depends on if there's a need to move it forward or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Limit8 said:

Well i asked myself like 4 times and not even a single answer from them. Also from the timelines of people in the forum not a single VR in QLD; despite many offered in Melbourne, Adelaide and NSW.

Do you believe someone in Victoria/Melbourne got a virtual ceremony ?

Anyone in your circle got Virtual ceremony in Vic ?

Edited by Melbournian

9 minutes ago, Chelsearoxanna said:

Ooh thank you. Where is your application up to? I applied Aug 2020, test 9th March 2021. I’m waiting to be approved 🙂 

Hi mate

i applied in sept 2020, just waiting for test invite still? How is your application going ??
thanks 

16 hours ago, RoEire said:

Quick one - do I need to learn the words of the National Anthem off by heart? It's in the testable section but I was just the pits at learning poems or lyrics off by heart in school, so it's giving me flash backs. I can mumble along fairly well, but not a chance of reciting the whole thing under pressure 😁

In my test I was asked for the title of the Anthem.  No practice test I tried anywhere had questions on the lyrics. I am also dreadful at memorising them so I didn't try.

Like other posters have said, know the values section, memorise the dates of federation etc. You should be set.

Good luck!

17 hours ago, RoEire said:

Ahhhhh it's finally happened. I've just received my email for my Citizenship Appointment here in Melbourne. Lodged originally on 15/05/20, but then everything hit the skids here with the lockdown. I honestly thought it would take much longer to get my interview appointment as I thought they'd have such a backlog in Melbourne, especially with the extended time it took for civil servants to come back to work. 

Appointment for 2 weeks time, on a Saturday - I didn't even realise they did weekend appointments which is amazing. Going to look through the booklet tonight to study up and if I'm confident enough, I'll try rescheduling for an earlier appointment. 

They actually gave us the words on cards to sing at the ceremony 😅

Hello!

So we applied in Melbourne and sat test in Melbourne, and recently moved to Moreton Bay Council in Qld. Would anyone have dates for the Citizenship ceremony? I have seen that several city councils do post their upcoming dates, but Moreton Bay Council hasn't. 

Anyways, we'll just wait and see when the ceremony here will be held. I am still within their waiting times. Nearly two months ago our applications got approved. 

We'll keep you guys posted. 

Cheers,

19 hours ago, Limit8 said:

The 1 April citizenship ceremony in Brisbane has been postponed twice. No one bothers to tell the new date. Brisbane City Council hasn't conducted any ceremonies for nearly 3 months.

It is wrong to keep people in the dark...besides those who have been submitted their application later are going to the ceremony sooner which is not fair. They said, they sent invitations for Apr 19 but there is no news for those who supposed to attend the 1 April ceremony.  

I think we need to ask Brisbane City Council and demand a new ceremony date. Contacting/sending an email to Central Ward Councillor and local MP may be helpful.