AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Thankfully I’ve just received a citizenship ceremony invite email for later this month. The bad news is it coincides with a work conference trip. Does anyone know if you decline, roughly how long it takes for a rescheduled date to come through? Is it usually the following month? Thanks so much. Location is Sydney CBD. 

21 minutes ago, Jake90 said:

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Thankfully I’ve just received a citizenship ceremony invite email for later this month. The bad news is it coincides with a work conference trip. Does anyone know if you decline, roughly how long it takes for a rescheduled date to come through? Is it usually the following month? Thanks so much. Location is Sydney CBD. 

Why not just contact them and ask. If you have a genuine reason for not being able to attend they should put you on the next list. 

4 hours ago, Rubab zaib said:

****Waiting for Citizenship Approval****

Citizenship application submitted:
10/09/ 2019 

citizenship test conducted and passed : 6/01/2020 

Application status: received

WAITING FOR APPROVAL 

moved to overseas since mid of January 2020 and still in overseas, is this the reason of not getting the approval? 

its been 18 months now since i have submitted my application and 15 months since i passed my test and no update from immigration when the timeframe of decision is 13-16 months from the date of application,  

What would be the purpose behind the delay of approval?

anyone in same situation? Any suggestions please 

What do you mean you “moved” overseas? If you permanently moved elsewhere, you broke your permanent residency and therefore will not be eligible for citizenship. 

If you stranded out of the country for COVID-19-related reasons, then make sure Home Affairs knows about it. 

Rule of thumb is: you cannot be conferred citizenship while overseas, reason why they ASK if you’re planning any trips during the test while you wait for approval. 

Hi All,

This has probably been answered previously, but does anyone have an idea of how long the wait time usually is between having citizenship test + interview to receiving follow up communication, be it approval, or invitation to ceremony?

11 hours ago, RyanReid said:

Hi All,

This has probably been answered previously, but does anyone have an idea of how long the wait time usually is between having citizenship test + interview to receiving follow up communication, be it approval, or invitation to ceremony?

What area are you from? I’m in Darwin and been waiting a month two others have the same timeline

23 hours ago, Rubab zaib said:

10/09/ 2019 

WAITING FOR APPROVAL 

moved to overseas since mid of January 2020 and still in overseas, is this the reason of not getting the approval? 

its been 18 months now since i have submitted my application and 15 months since i passed my test and no update from immigration when the timeframe of decision is 13-16 months from the date of application,  

Similar situation. I submitted my application in Dec 2019, and passed test in Dec 2020, offshore in Jan. Now no updates. 

1 minute ago, Bittu said:

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone knows that a Birth certificate is compulsory or other alternative documents are enough? 

For me - i had a birth certificate but it didnt mention my name on it, so i used my HSC marksheet which has a mention of my DOB and it was accepted.

Hey just wondering if anyone from Brisbane waiting here For ceremony . Sharing my timeline too help others .

Citizenship Application = 3/9/2020

Citizenship TEST/INTERVIEW =9/12/2020 . Got Approved right there after 2 minutes.

Today it’s been 4 months . Haven’t heard anything about ceremony 

9 hours ago, Sam batth said:

Hey just wondering if anyone from Brisbane waiting here For ceremony . Sharing my timeline too help others .

Citizenship Application = 3/9/2020

Citizenship TEST/INTERVIEW =9/12/2020 . Got Approved right there after 2 minutes.

Today it’s been 4 months . Haven’t heard anything about ceremony 

Yeah, I'm waiting.

I had test in December and been approved in January.

On 10/04/2021 at 10:54, Slav said:

Yeah, I'm waiting.

I had test in December and been approved in January.

I had test/interview in mid-November 2020, approved mid December 20 after submitted more information. I am still waiting for the ceremony invitation to Brisbane. I saw there is a ceremony on my birthday in May so am hoping for that day, that would be pretty awesome.  

• Like 1

On 08/04/2021 at 05:25, Rubab zaib said:

WAITING FOR APPROVAL 

Being overseas your application will be on hold. 

12 minutes ago, Limit8 said:

Brisbane now hasn't had a ceremony for close to 3 months what a shame! to add insult to injury QLD is the only state that doesn't even offer virtual ceremonies. These timelines are just unacceptable! 

I don't think Vic are offering virtual ceremonies. And the wait for even getting an interview/test here in Vic is significantly longer than any other state. It will happen, we just need to be patient. 

Ok, some further movement. Applied April 2020 in Melbourne. Test and interview April 2021. Application approved a week after the test. Incidentally, took exactly 12 months between application and approval. Next step is the wait for the ceremony I suppose. 

By the way, there was no email to inform me of the approved status. I happened to check Immi and noticed that the status had changed....

Edited by Melb2016