AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

1 minute ago, Joe Forum said:

Thank you for your thoughts on this 🙂 

Is it known for certain that this is how they do it - i.e. sorting for each list they create ? Or do they simply append the new applicant to the list assuming it is coming to them in a sorted order because it is anyway being sent that way to them ? 

Regards

The list goes in a computer database and even if it gets appended in the end row of the table which has all the information for the applicants,

they sort it and then send invites. 

After your test is done, council is assigned and if you move & update the address online,

it is still required to send to new council by ringing them on helpline. 

• Like 1

Just now, Olivia_1993 said:

The list goes in a computer database and even if it gets appended in the end row of the table which has all the information for the applicants,

they sort it and then send invites. 

After your test is done, council is assigned and if you move & update the address online,

it is still required to send to new council by ringing them on helpline. 

Immigration software is not a piece of junk.

For ex Try resubmitting your citizenship application with same credentials and passport, etc => it will not let you even move forward after 2/3 pages of application, becuase of so many validations embedded in software.

Few steps are kept manual / requires authoritative access from department, so applicants don't create a mess !!!

Trust them. 

14 hours ago, Lashie said:

Thank you! I don't remember the exact dates, it was early November. I believe the citizenship approved was a few weeks later, on 22nd November

That's awesome. Did u hear about your ceremony via email or letter? What date is your citizenship ceremony in april?

Thanks 🙂

hi guys, 

I just wanna share my amazing experience in applying speed-up virtual ceremony. I sent a email to virtual.ceremony.nsw@homeaffairs .gov.au  yesterday.

In mail, I told them I want to apply virtual ceremony and wish I could do it by the mid April, cause i am expecting a newborn oversea, I have to became an Australian citizen before my baby is born, so that she or he can get Australia citizenship by descent. Otherwise I can not take the baby back to Australia right away.

And I attached statement from hospital oversea and invitation letter with the email.

I sent this email in the middle night yesterday, I expected that I will get reply in one month, or even I will not get any reply. I did not expect that I will get reply in 12 hours. I got invitation for ceremony at 2pm today!  

They invite me to be part in a virtual ceremony on Tuesday!  (23 March)
I am so happy and so appreciated to officer who is dealing with my application. (I guess also because i have a solid and real reason.) 

I have got so many information in this forum. So I feel like I have to share my experience to this forum. Maybe it could help someone in needs.

i am gonna update my timeline here.

submit the application: 20 May 2020.

Test invitation received: 22 Feb 2021

Original test date: 16 March 2021

Rescheduled: 2 March 2021

Approved in same day after test.

Apply for virtual ceremony: 18 March 2021

Virtual ceremony invitation received: 19 March 2021

Virtual ceremony date: 23 March 2021  

Edited by Kevin6370
  • Congratulations 1

On 19/03/2021 at 20:21, Kevin6370 said:

hi guys, 

I just wanna share my amazing experience in applying speed-up virtual ceremony. I sent a email to virtual.ceremony.nsw@homeaffairs .gov.au  yesterday.

In mail, I told them I want to apply virtual ceremony and wish I could do it by the mid April, cause i am expecting a newborn oversea, I have to became an Australian citizen before my baby is born, so that she or he can get Australia citizenship by descent. Otherwise I can not take the baby back to Australia right away.

And I attached statement from hospital oversea and invitation letter with the email.

I sent this email in the middle night yesterday, I expected that I will get reply in one month, or even I will not get any reply. I did not expect that I will get reply in 12 hours. I got invitation for ceremony at 2pm today!  

They invite me to be part in a virtual ceremony on Tuesday!  (23 March)
I am so happy and so appreciated to officer who is dealing with my application. (I guess also because i have a solid and real reason.) 

I have got so many information in this forum. So I feel like I have to share my experience to this forum. Maybe it could help someone in needs.

i am gonna update my timeline here.

submit the application: 20 May 2020.

Test invitation received: 22 Feb 2021

Original test date: 16 March 2021

Rescheduled: 2 March 2021

Approved in same day after test.

Apply for virtual ceremony: 18 March 2021

Virtual ceremony invitation received: 19 March 2021

Virtual ceremony date: 23 March 2021  

Hi Kevin, Thanks for sharing your timeline and congrats on your citizenship progress. Out of interest I was wondering how did you get your online citizenship ceremony fast tracked? (Obviously if its sensitive matter then no worries about sharing). We applied for an online ceremony a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything back. Thank you

Edited by Lofty

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Hi Kevin, Thanks for sharing your timeline and congrats on your citizenship progress. Out of interest I was wondering how did you get your online citizenship ceremony fast tracked? (Obviously if its sensitive matter then no worries about sharing). We applied for an online ceremony a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything back. Thank you

I mentioned in the original post. I am expecting a newborn baby oversea. The due date is soon. My wife was supposed to come to Australia to give birth our baby but got trapped by COVID-19 pandemic.

If I were not citizen before the day baby was born oversea, my child can not got Australia citizenship by descent. In that case I have to let my child stay oversea for a long time and get another country’s passport then apply for Australia visa, which is extremely hard due to the current pandemic. I guess they think the baby’s well-being and healthy matters, that’s why I got my virtual ceremony so fast. I also attached the statement of hospital and medical records as evidence. Obviously you have to got urgent reason to apply virtual ceremony and get the whole procedure speeded up. 

I am not sure what’s your reason to apply virtual ceremony. If you don’t mind sharing.

Edited by Kevin6370

Hi everyone iam new here I have a question regarding citizenship residency requirement 

We came here to Australia on 20 March 2016 on visa 489( family of 4) 

Me and my daughters left Australia after 10 months stay in Australia (18 Jan 2017) and came back after 13 months on 1 March 2018 never left Australia since then. We became permanent resident on 7 April 2020. My husband will be eligible for citizenship in April 2021. My question is when will me and my daughters be eligible as I stayed out of Australia for 13 months in the last 4 years 

1 hour ago, Noshee said:

Hi everyone iam new here I have a question regarding citizenship residency requirement 

Me and my daughters left Australia after 10 months stay in Australia (18 Jan 2017) and came back after 13 months on 1 March 2018 never left Australia since then. We became permanent resident on 7 April 2020. My husband will be eligible for citizenship in April 2021. My question is when will me and my daughters be eligible as I stayed out of Australia for 13 months in the last 4 years 

Residence Calculator

Use the calculator link,

probably 1 month later as they allow 12 months away in past 4 years (and no more than 90days last year)

7 hours ago, ozexpat said:

Residence Calculator

Use the calculator link,

probably 1 month later as they allow 12 months away in past 4 years (and no more than 90days last year)

9 hours ago, Noshee said:

Hi Noshee.    I got my permanent residence in 2016 then returned to the UK for sixteen months. Haven’t left since. I am currently applying for citizenship - as someone said, they allow you twelve months away in four years.  The calculator is good, but I also discovered that if you begin filling in a citizenship application online and you are too early the programme tells you so, tells you when you will be elligibke and shuts you down - so if the programme allows you to apply, you know you’re okay 🤣

10 hours ago, ozexpat said:

Residence Calculator

Use the calculator link,

I have tried the calcutor on homeaffairs website it says the same that I will be eligible after one month but I was still confused with the statement not more than 12 months. Thanks for you reply 🙂

2 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Hi Noshee.    I got my permanent residence in 2016 then returned to the UK for sixteen months. Haven’t left since. I am currently applying for citizenship - as someone said, they allow you twelve months away in four years.  The calculator is good, but I also discovered that if you begin filling in a citizenship application online and you are too early the programme tells you so, tells you when you will be elligibke and shuts you down - so if the programme allows you to apply, you know you’re okay 🤣

Yes I was thinking the same of atleast trying 😀

Hi guys, 

New to this thread but hopefully someone may know the answer or had a similar experience.

I am due to have my citizenship interview + test tomorrow, and just had a last minute review of all required documents to be certain I am prepared. I noticed that the Immigration website says they do not accept certified documents. However I ordered a copy of my birth certificate from General Registration Office in the UK and the copy they sent me says "Certified Copy" despite it looking official. 

Has anyone else had to re-order there birth certificate? and had any issues with it?

I appreciate all the help and feedback. 

Thanks

28 minutes ago, RyanReid said:

Hi guys, 

New to this thread but hopefully someone may know the answer or had a similar experience.

I am due to have my citizenship interview + test tomorrow, and just had a last minute review of all required documents to be certain I am prepared. I noticed that the Immigration website says they do not accept certified documents. However I ordered a copy of my birth certificate from General Registration Office in the UK and the copy they sent me says "Certified Copy" despite it looking official. 

Has anyone else had to re-order there birth certificate? and had any issues with it?

I appreciate all the help and feedback. 

Thanks

Because of covid, they may not ask for many documents. I think you should be fine. You cant help urself in one day.

So better assume, they will not ask birth certificate and ask for passport or DL. Concentrate on your test. 

Get all other docs in original. 

28 minutes ago, Melbournian said:

Because of covid, they may not ask for many documents. I think you should be fine. You cant help urself in one day.

So better assume, they will not ask birth certificate and ask for passport or DL. Concentrate on your test. 

Get all other docs in original. 

Thank you for your re-assurance. I really hope that turns out to be the case.

I have been using https://www.easydrivingtest.com.au/citizenship-test to practice some of the test questions is there a better page or more updated list of questions for 2021? 

28 minutes ago, RyanReid said:

Thank you for your re-assurance. I really hope that turns out to be the case.

I have been using https://www.easydrivingtest.com.au/citizenship-test to practice some of the test questions is there a better page or more updated list of questions for 2021? 

Do not answer anything wrong from AUSTRALIAN Values PART 4 in common bond. Rest all you can miss 1/2 answers - from other sections. 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship-subsite/files/our-common-bond-testable.pdf 

=> 15/20 questions [ 75% or more, so missing 1,2 questions is okay ]

Part 1: Australia and its people

Part 2: Australia’s democratic beliefs, rights and liberties 

Part 3: Government and the law in Australia

=> 5/20 questions [must answer correctly -> The computer test will not show you pass if you answer wrong and this section is pretty easy]

Part 4: Australian values   

4 minutes ago, Melbournian said:

Do not answer anything wrong from AUSTRALIAN Values PART 4 in common bond. Rest all you can miss 1/2 answers - from other sections. 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship-subsite/files/our-common-bond-testable.pdf 

=> 15/20 questions [ 75% or more, so missing 1,2 questions is okay ]

Part 1: Australia and its people

Part 2: Australia’s democratic beliefs, rights and liberties 

Part 3: Government and the law in Australia

=> 5/20 questions [must answer correctly -> The computer test will not show you pass if you answer wrong and this section is pretty easy]

Part 4: Australian values   

Thank you, I have already gone through the booklet and answered those questions with ease. But I would imagine the test can throw out a number of different questions. 

Just wondering if there is a best practice question bank anywhere? 

1 hour ago, RyanReid said:

Thank you, I have already gone through the booklet and answered those questions with ease. But I would imagine the test can throw out a number of different questions. 

Just wondering if there is a best practice question bank anywhere? 

When I did my test late 2020, I just googled Australia Citizenship practice test and went through all the questions I could find. Some of them are a bit dodgy though - ie, they ask questions that don't originate from the booklet. You will only be asked questions that have answers in the booklet. So make sure you fully understand the content of all the sections (for example, I struggled with the Goverment type stuff so studied extra hard on that part!). The questions on the day are random - could be anything from the layout of the Australian flag, to upper/lower house, to dates of first fleet etc etc, who is head of state, how voting/democratic works... and so on.