AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

3 minutes ago, Kevin6370 said:

Hi all, 

I applied citizenship on 12 may 2020 in Sydney office.

I know many people applied in May have already got invited in January 2021. But I didn’t get any information.

I really need citizenship urgently cause the due date of my baby is in August. And his/her mom is in oversea now. If I can’t get citizenship before due date, I have to take the baby back to my birth country and apply passport then get Australia visa, which is very difficult because of COVID.

Is there any way that  I can speed up my application or at least check out the status of my case? 

Thank you.

Kavin,  we are bad lucky  . Sydney  city office  applications  not moving.  My one of my friends  wife  apply  from Hunter zone.  She got invited. Even  she  has been  applied  end of june.  Let see hope for the best. 

13 hours ago, Tien1993 said:

Hi. I hope someone in this thread had been or still on 187 or RSMS visa can shred some lights for me. I have been on my RSMS visa from 10/2019 till now so it's around 16 months in. I have been invited for citizenship test on 25th this month. My work has been very nasty to me even tho I'm one of their best workers all because I don't suck up to the new head chef and he decided to transfer me to another venue which 30 mins away from my home. So my question is can I resign after I give my test and DHA approve my application? Or I need to wait till my ceremony? Thank you. 

Hello Tien,

There have been some instances where employees have been bullied because their boss knows they have leverage over them through these types of visas (conditional visas). This behaviour is also exacerbated by workers showing fear rather than standing up for themselves.

First your health must be a priority not your visa or employment, i understand that this is not easy for most people but you are in luck because Australia has a strong and independent Judicial system that does not tolerate bullying anywhere including the workplace. The FWC is Australia's national workplace tribunal that regulates employees and employers. You should direct all concerns, complaints or unfair dismissals to them regardless of your visa the law doesn't discriminate against employees based on their work status in Australia as long as they are legally allowed to work. 

You shouldn't resign without documenting what's going on and have at least some evidence of workplace harassment or bullying. The best way to document and have evidence of such events is to contact the FWC and make a formal complaint if need be. With such evidence it becomes hard for DHA to cancel your visa because you can show that you had a compelling reason to resign. You can also visit a Psychologist or a doctor if the matter is serious enough which can also be used as evidence. With that said i would advice showing strength while remaining composed and respectful towards your employer.

However your employer sending you to another venue because you think he doesn't like you ....doesn't seem like a compelling reason to me to breach your visa conditions. If its just a matter of not liking each other than that is not serious enough and you should wait until your ceremony or the 24 month mark whichever comes first. 

Take care

Edited by Limit8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kevin6370 said:

Hi all, 

I applied citizenship on 12 may 2020 in Sydney office.

I know many people applied in May have already got invited in January 2021. But I didn’t get any information.

I really need citizenship urgently cause the due date of my baby is in August. And his/her mom is in oversea now. If I can’t get citizenship before due date, I have to take the baby back to my birth country and apply passport then get Australia visa, which is very difficult because of COVID.

Is there any way that  I can speed up my application or at least check out the status of my case? 

Thank you.

August is a long time from now mate, i would guess you should be good by then. Sydney delays the tests but is one of the few states that give you the option for virtual ceremony i have seen people in this forum from Sydney who got their ceremony one week after they got approved. That s a pretty quick turnaround if you ask me. You should be alright just email them once you get your test/approval.

On 23/01/2021 at 01:08, Greatm said:

Hi, Here are my timelines

application: 20 Sep 2020

Test Invite received on 20 Jan 2021 for 9 Feb 2021

rescheduled test to 27 Jan 2021

Test passed on 27 Jan 2021 

Approval in immi account 27 Jan 2021

Approval letter received 2 Feb 2021

invitation for ceremony received on 19 Feb 2021 for 17 Mar 2021

State Applied in : ACT

• Congratulations 2

5 hours ago, Greatm said:

Congratulations ! 

Is this a virtual ceremony or a regular one ? 

Also, which council in the ceremony in ? I mean, you have mentioned the state is ACT, but is there is only 1 council in ACT or are there more and if so, where is the ceremony ? 

15 hours ago, Greatm said:

Hi Greatm, is it face to face ceremony or virtual!!))thank u 

16 hours ago, Sigemup said:

Congratulations ! 

Is this a virtual ceremony or a regular one ? 

Also, which council in the ceremony in ? I mean, you have mentioned the state is ACT, but is there is only 1 council in ACT or are there more and if so, where is the ceremony ? 

It is face to face ceremony. In ACT they are doing it in one council only. It is in Albert Hall, Yarralumla 

Edited by Greatm

Application - Sunshine Coast - From date of application to taking the test 14 months. To pass you need to get over 75% and all 5 of the Australian values correct. 

My advise is ...get the book and revise. I’d heard lots of people saying they took the test and got 100% so thought I wouldn’t need to revise and it would just be common sense. I also did the online practice test a few times and got 100% each time so thought I’d be fine. 
But there were lots of questions about government & politics that I really wasn’t expecting. I also got over confident and rushed through it without going back and checking my answers. I failed the first time! Second time I passed 😁  but only got 85%. Luckily you can take it up-to 3 times before they ask you to go away and do some more revision. 

Hi all

It is great to read more are receiving ceremony invitations.

My test/interview got approved 13 December in Brisbane city, am waiting for the ceremony invitation now 🙂

We recently moved to the Gold Coast but I haven’t changed my address as we still have access to our house in Brisbane and I can imagine Brisbane might be faster than the Gold Coast but I could be wrong. Time will tell.

Hey folks, 

Just checking in to say that it’s been over 13 months since the say of my interview with no change in the status of my application (still “Received”) or any communication or feedback from the department. 

I hope I am the unlucky exception, and everybody’s applications get processed much quicker!

Hi Georgiegie,

Been over 10 months since I applied. No progress yet and application still ‘received’. Soled in Melbourne...Looking at the Immi website the total applications in progress remains around 160000. That number doesn’t seem to be coming down :(. 

Edited by Melb2016
  • Sad 1

Hi everyone,

I’ve been a silent reader in this forum for a little while and now I’m sharing my citizenship journey.

Application: 27 Oct 2020

Test Invite received on 29Jan 2021 for 22 Feb 2021

Test passed on 22 Feb 2021(Today!)

Approval in immi account 22 Feb 2021(2hrs after)

Invitation for ceremony:TBA

Canberra, ACT

• Thanks 1

On 19/02/2021 at 20:52, Han21 said:

Kavin,  we are bad lucky  . Sydney  city office  applications  not moving.  My one of my friends  wife  apply  from Hunter zone.  She got invited. Even  she  has been  applied  end of june.  Let see hope for the best. 

Hi Han,

I just received invitation from home affair department. Test date is 16th March.

Applied:12 May 2020. 
Invitation received: 22 Feb 2021
Test date: 16 March 2021

• Congratulations 2

On 19/02/2021 at 23:33, Limit8 said:

Hello Tien,

There have been some instances where employees have been bullied because their boss knows they have leverage over them through these types of visas (conditional visas). This behaviour is also exacerbated by workers showing fear rather than standing up for themselves.

First your health must be a priority not your visa or employment, i understand that this is not easy for most people but you are in luck because Australia has a strong and independent Judicial system that does not tolerate bullying anywhere including the workplace. The FWC is Australia's national workplace tribunal that regulates employees and employers. You should direct all concerns, complaints or unfair dismissals to them regardless of your visa the law doesn't discriminate against employees based on their work status in Australia as long as they are legally allowed to work. 

You shouldn't resign without documenting what's going on and have at least some evidence of workplace harassment or bullying. The best way to document and have evidence of such events is to contact the FWC and make a formal complaint if need be. With such evidence it becomes hard for DHA to cancel your visa because you can show that you had a compelling reason to resign. You can also visit a Psychologist or a doctor if the matter is serious enough which can also be used as evidence. With that said i would advice showing strength while remaining composed and respectful towards your employer.

However your employer sending you to another venue because you think he doesn't like you ....doesn't seem like a compelling reason to me to breach your visa conditions. If its just a matter of not liking each other than that is not serious enough and you should wait until your ceremony or the 24 month mark whichever comes first. 

Take care

I got injured from workplace few months ago and was taking workcover. However, their(workcover) doctor said my injury is not from work although it was during covid lockdown 🤣 everyone was literally only working and staying at home. Well good luck but the systems here(governmental) seem doesn't smoothly work. don't trust what government advertising too much. Here is not Germany or South Korea.

Edited by Cairns123456677