AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

On 22/01/2021 at 08:27, jezz32 said:

Hi All,

Anyone here from Sydney who applied on or before April 2020 who's still waiting? I feel like I and my family are waiting for the apple to drop from the tree and hit us randomly. Thanks.

Citizenship App: April 2020
Test Invitation: Waiting
Test Date: Waiting
Approval: Waiting
Ceremony: Waiting
Council: Sydney

Regards

Hi Jezz

My partner applied on 02 June 2020 and received the test invitation last week. The test is on 30.01.2021.

I applied a day after him but still haven’t received the test invitation. Thus make me a bit worried as well.

Don’t mean to freak you out with this information. I just thought I would share with you this information. 

On 26/01/2021 at 09:07, Tien1993 said:

Hi all. Anyone knows if your visa still matter after you have obtain citizenship ? I know it doesn't make sense to hold a visa and citizenship at the same time. I'm currently on 187 visa and have about 9 months left to go but I would have my citizenship around June. Can I leave my job early ? 

Well, Visa is for non-citizen only. You'll either need a Visa or an Australian Passport to enter Australia, which means:

- You use your foreign passport with a valid Visa

- OR, you use your Australian Passport

From my experience with Border Force 3 years ago when we travelled abroad: my kids had 2 passports, and when I accidentally handed them their foreign passports (cause I bought their flight tickets with those foreign passports), the lady custom officer were a bit upset and reminded me that they always preferred the Australian Passport on Australia land. Could be because my kids didn't have (didn't need to have) Visa so that caused a bit of time to look up for her, it was my bad 😅

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jasberies said:

Hi Jezz

My partner applied on 02 June 2020 and received the test invitation last week. The test is on 30.01.2021.

I applied a day after him but still haven’t received the test invitation. Thus make me a bit worried as well.

Don’t mean to freak you out with this information. I just thought I would share with you this information. 

Thanks @Jasberies . No harm done, I do appreciate it. 🙂 The more info we have, the better.

I just hope that they are 1. Processing it in order, and 2. If they are doing further checks, they reach out to applicants to address the hold-ups as soon as they can.

Edited by jezz32

On 26/01/2021 at 06:16, AlmostAussie said:

So we sat for our interviews and tests on 25th Jan. my Wife & Son(5yr old) where approved within 1hr, however mine has not been. We both got 100% for the tests and I finished well before her.

has this happened to anyone? I assume that hers is approved first as our son is attached to her application. Even though he’s also mentioned in mine. 
if this has happened to someone was it resolved easily? How long did it take for your letters to arrive etc?

Same here. My son 10 yr old attached with me and got approved on the same day. But not my husband. Test and interview on 14/12/20. Husband immi status still received. What can we do. Location Perth.

4 hours ago, ValerieJ said:

Same here. My son 10 yr old attached with me and got approved on the same day. But not my husband. Test and interview on 14/12/20. Husband immi status still received. What can we do. Location Perth.

Not sure there is anything. Pretty sure it’s normal. Cannot get any info from them unless it’s outside the processing times, which right now is like 4years (might be a slight exaggeration) but it’s long. Guess just have to wait for the letters.

I've just got some good news (especially for the Melbourne folks!)

My wife was invited to a test just today (over email) on 24/02/2021. We applied on 2 separated applications on 23/12/2019. She was invited for a test in May 2020 but it was postponed until now. I'm still waiting for my test invitation...

I'm a little bit worry about my case. I've competed the interview && test in Dec 2020, and then I left for UK for work for one year. And the department knows it due to the travel exemption application. The CO asked me to provide evidence of long ties with Australia and I did. Now my case has been stayed in "Further Assessment" since the end of Dec. I don't know when the decision will make, and when they will contact me to ask me to be onshore. I know under current pandemic situation, it's hard to fly back. Not sure whether my case will be hold for a long time, or just got rejection. 

Really worry about my case. Does anyone has idea or experience about it? Thanks.  

12 hours ago, Ding said:

I'm a little bit worry about my case. I've competed the interview && test in Dec 2020, and then I left for UK for work for one year. And the department knows it due to the travel exemption application. The CO asked me to provide evidence of long ties with Australia and I did. Now my case has been stayed in "Further Assessment" since the end of Dec. I don't know when the decision will make, and when they will contact me to ask me to be onshore. I know under current pandemic situation, it's hard to fly back. Not sure whether my case will be hold for a long time, or just got rejection. 

Really worry about my case. Does anyone has idea or experience about it? Thanks.  

When you left for UK that time your application was approved or not? 

I meant you were only waiting for ceremony or your application was not approved  at all and you traveled to UK?

Edited by fary

2 hours ago, path2aus said:

I wrote my test yesterday and have passed the same. Now waiting on the Approval.

Congratulations . Approval will be soon 👏 

I applied in mid October 2020 and still waiting for the test invite. I am not sure if things are slow in SA now. 

Hey everyone,

A quick update on my timeline.

Applied Feb 2020 in Melbourne. Moved to Sydney in Jan 2021 updated my address details. Received the test invite two days later which I have now taken and passed 😄

My application is now approved in my IMMI account, so I guess all is left now is wait for my ceremony invite. 

Edited by flatwhite101

4 hours ago, fary said:

When you left for UK that time your application was approved or not? 

I meant you were only waiting for ceremony or your application was not approved  at all and you traveled to UK?

Not approved. 

16 hours ago, fary said:

Congratulations . Approval will be soon 👏 

I applied in mid October 2020 and still waiting for the test invite. I am not sure if things are slow in SA now. 

I applied on September 30 and I got it in January. You should probably get it in February.

13 hours ago, yw9000000 said:

My original birth certificate hasn't arrived in time for my interview. I have all of my original documents. 

Do they always check all documents or do they just check some? Has anyone been turned away for not having an original document? 

They only checked my drivers. 

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I gave my citizenship test on 2nd September 2020, and it was approved on same day. While giving interview the lady told me that i was waiting for a while to give the test as i applied for citizenship on 2nd July 2019 and if i would prefer online citizenship ceremony as it would be faster and i agreed.

It has been more than 4 months i haven’t got the ceremony invite yet, wanted to know if anyone has experience this or got approval around that time. I am from Sydney.

Thank you.

On 28/03/2020 at 09:27, 04April2017DE said:

Thought I started a new thread for the citizenship application submitted in 2020.

Applied Citizenship  25/03/2020 (myself and dependent child)

Current citizenship    New Zealand

Invitation                    Awaiting

Test Date                    Awaiting

Approval                    Awaiting

Ceremony                  Awaiting

Cheers and god speed. 

Ok guys, I did and passed my interview and test today! Then after a couple of hours, the status become Approved. Here is a journey summary, so hear me out:

22 Dec 2020, received for invitation of interview and test for 3rd Feb 2021. I brought it forward to 7th Jan 2021. 

4 Jan 2021, received message/email advising my 7 Jan appointment has been cancelled due to recent NSW Covid outbreak. 

21 Jan 2021, received another invitation of interview and test for 24 Feb 2021, I brought it forward to today 30 Jan 2021.

Now waiting for council ceremony invitation.

Hi,

I'm just applying for my citizenship now. Bit confused about the overseas police check - when it says granted does it mean activated? E.g my visa was granted in July 2016 but I didn't arrive in Australia until Jan 2017. Do you think I need a police check for that time?

Thanks 🙂

1 hour ago, Beckb said:

Hi,

I'm just applying for my citizenship now. Bit confused about the overseas police check - when it says granted does it mean activated? E.g my visa was granted in July 2016 but I didn't arrive in Australia until Jan 2017. Do you think I need a police check for that time?

Thanks 🙂

From what I’ve gathered, it should tell you which PCCs you need once you’ve completed the application. It will come up in the documents to upload section, if required 🙂

Hello everyone

Please advise the BEST website to practice the test. I have tried different websites but would like to ask for your advices for the best one.

Is it necessary to purchase $29 to practice the test on AustralianCitizenshipSupport.com? Anyone tried this one yet? 

As we are not allowed to fail any of the 5 questions about the common bond so I am a bit scared.

Thank you

14 hours ago, Atlas said:

From what I’ve gathered, it should tell you which PCCs you need once you’ve completed the application. It will come up in the documents to upload section, if required 🙂

Yes. The website is intelligent in backend and will "Pop Up SECTION" in "attach Page " section - all relevant documents.

If you fill in correct details for the IN/OUT travel locations, it will ask you for all required foreign country PCC. Australian Police check is done by department itself.

Usually you have to provide PCC for countries you visit after PR (for 90 days - including your home country)

FYI

TR Applied                 22/04/2016
TR 457                        04/06/2016
PR Applied                 02/03/2018
PR 186                        01/03/2019
Applied Citizenship  14/06/2020 (dependent child and myself)
Invitation                    28/01/2021
Test Date                    25/02/2021 (rescheduled to 09/02/2021)
Approval                     Awaiting
Ceremony                   Awaiting
Sydney CBD office