AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

2 minutes ago, pearplumpie said:

I was the same not realising my son wouldn't need an interview or test - we applied in mid-April and he was approved in 30 days. Like you we want him to have access to the student loans before he goes to uni next year. Do you know what number you called? Thanks

I went through the home affairs immi website - the help and support section. It's a busy number so had to wait a while to get through. 

18 minutes ago, Jlucy said:

I went through the home affairs immi website - the help and support section. It's a busy number so had to wait a while to get through. 

Done - I actually phoned them before to try and do this and didn't get very far, but the guy I just spoke to was brilliant. Did you then also apply for an early ceremony or did it just happen? Thanks so much for your help.

50 minutes ago, pearplumpie said:

Done - I actually phoned them before to try and do this and didn't get very far, but the guy I just spoke to was brilliant. Did you then also apply for an early ceremony or did it just happen? Thanks so much for your help.

I didn't ask for an early ceremony but they did say in their email confirmation that if she didn't get a ceremony within 6 months of the approval date then I could contact them. I think in that case they would expedite it. However, it came through pretty quick so we're over the moon. Only thing is she has to go on her own which is a little sad but a small price to pay! Good luck with your son's ceremony - I'm sure they'll sort it out 🙂

Edited by Jlucy

He All,

Citizenship application has now been submitted. Bring on the waiting game (again 🙂)

Applied Citizenship  01/07/2020 (myself, Husband and son)

Current citizenship    UK

Invitation                    Awaiting

Test Date                    Awaiting

Approval                    Awaiting

Ceremony                  Awaiting

Council:                     Melbourne

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LMC said:

He All,

Citizenship application has now been submitted. Bring on the waiting game (again 🙂)

Applied Citizenship  01/07/2020 (myself, Husband and son)

Current citizenship    UK

Invitation                    Awaiting

Test Date                    Awaiting

Approval                    Awaiting

Ceremony                  Awaiting

Council:                     Melbourne

Godspeed to you! 🙂

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know if I can apply for the police check/ certificate/ clearance prior to being eligible for citizenship?

In approximately 7 weeks I can apply for citizenship, but I am conscious the processing times are longer than ever, so was hoping to speed up the process as best as I can.

I understand police check have a 12 month "validity" period for other applications but don't want to buy the check twice if it will be void for the citizenship application.

Any help would be great! Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jadee said:

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know if I can apply for the police check/ certificate/ clearance prior to being eligible for citizenship?

In approximately 7 weeks I can apply for citizenship, but I am conscious the processing times are longer than ever, so was hoping to speed up the process as best as I can.

I understand police check have a 12 month "validity" period for other applications but don't want to buy the check twice if it will be void for the citizenship application.

Any help would be great! Cheers

Hey,

You don't need to do Australian police check as department does it internally. You only need foreign police check if following applies to you

If you have spent a total of 12 months or more outside Australia since we granted you a permanent visa, you need to give us overseas police certificates from every country, including your home country, where you have spent a total of more than 90 days since you turned 18.

If above does apply to you, then you can surely get your police check. But keep in mind that there are no CitizenshipTests happening at the moment, so there is potentially huge backlog of application that need processing 

19 hours ago, garrychandi said:

Hey,

You don't need to do Australian police check as department does it internally. You only need foreign police check if following applies to you

If you have spent a total of 12 months or more outside Australia since we granted you a permanent visa, you need to give us overseas police certificates from every country, including your home country, where you have spent a total of more than 90 days since you turned 18.

If above does apply to you, then you can surely get your police check. But keep in mind that there are no CitizenshipTests happening at the moment, so there is potentially huge backlog of application that need processing 

Hi! Thank you for your reply- as we returned back to the UK for a few months to pack up after validating our visas- this exceeded the 90 days so we will have to pay again unfortunately! I was just wondering if I send for the ACRO check now- 7 weeks premature of being eligible for citizenship, or would this pose a problem? I just wanted to be in a position to apply on the earliest date possible to prevent any additional wait times, It's already looking at 26 months.

Any help would be great!

Those of you in WA, test resumed on 6th of July,Good Luck 

In-person citizenship interviews and citizenship tests have recommenced in Western Australia only from 6 July 2020.  Eligible individuals will be contacted and invited to attend a citizenship interview or test.   There is no need to contact the Department about your citizenship interview or test.

We will gradually restart interviews and citizenship tests in other states and territories when it is safe to do so.

• Thanks 1

On 07/07/2020 at 17:05, jadee said:

Hi! Thank you for your reply- as we returned back to the UK for a few months to pack up after validating our visas- this exceeded the 90 days so we will have to pay again unfortunately! I was just wondering if I send for the ACRO check now- 7 weeks premature of being eligible for citizenship, or would this pose a problem? I just wanted to be in a position to apply on the earliest date possible to prevent any additional wait times, It's already looking at 26 months.

Any help would be great!

Hey, yes you can order your ACRO test now, as long as they are not 12 months old you will be fine. BTW if you are in WA, they just started the test and interviews

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

I've just hit send my my citizenship application... but then I read this thread and someone has mentioned I should have scanned both sides of my driving licence. I didn't. Does anyone know if this is a problem or will they look past it?

Many thanks

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jennyinoz said:

Hey Guys,

I've just hit send my my citizenship application... but then I read this thread and someone has mentioned I should have scanned both sides of my driving licence. I didn't. Does anyone know if this is a problem or will they look past it?

Many thanks

Can you not rescan and add it after submitting? When I go to my application it looks as if there is the option to attach documents.

Edited by pearplumpie

14 minutes ago, pearplumpie said:

Can you not rescan and add it after submitting? When I go to my application it looks as if there is the option to attach documents.

Yes! Amazing thank you so much pearplumpie! Hoping for a quick processing time for me but I'm guessing there's going to be a huge backlog of people waiting after Covid has delayed everything 😞

• Like 1

Good luck everyone.

Date of applied          13/07/2020 (myself)

Current citizenship    Philippines

Current Visa               PR(Skilled)

Invitation                     Awaiting

Test Date                     Awaiting

Approval                      Awaiting

Ceremony                   Awaiting

Hi All applied for citizenship yesterday, I recieved my PR last year May 2019. I was qualified to apply for citizenship in May 2020 delayed due to paperwork especially 1195 form. My son born in Australia got his citizenship and passport last month so didn't include him in the application. So my watch starts from today best of luck to other applicants 😃😃

Edited by galisuman

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2020 at 22:57, babysleep said:

I submitted my application in May 2020 and I am based in Sydney.

Anyone knows whether immi is still processing applications and tests recently?

Thanks for answering! Good luck to all of us 😃

I submitted in June 2019 has my test booked for the start of April and had it cancelled 2 working days before. I was hoping they would start soon as WA had but it looks as far away as ever with this current up tick. 

Had my test yesterday (5th August) in Perth and passed 🎉😁

The only document they asked to see was my drivers licence, even though I'd taken all my old passports, birth certificate etc.

I applied back in January and was then asked to supply a UK Police Clearance in February (even though they didn't initially request it on the application).

My daughter's application was approved on 15th July (she didn't have to take the test as under 18 at time of application).

They said that it could be up to 4 to 6 months before a ceremony is given but depends on council (mine is City of Belmont).

2 hours ago, Baby Pom said:

Had my test yesterday (5th August) in Perth and passed 🎉😁

The only document they asked to see was my drivers licence, even though I'd taken all my old passports, birth certificate etc.

I applied back in January and was then asked to supply a UK Police Clearance in February (even though they didn't initially request it on the application).

My daughter's application was approved on 15th July (she didn't have to take the test as under 18 at time of application).

They said that it could be up to 4 to 6 months before a ceremony is given but depends on council (mine is City of Belmont).

Congrats.

I knew about WA offices being open and tests resuming, however I havent' heard boo about any other states. Does anyone know how people can find this out?

Please can someone give me advise: 

PR granted today 🤩.. 

Been in Aus exactly 3 years. 

I can apply for citizenship this time next year, then it takes approximately 2 to 3 years for ceremony. Is that correct? 

If so, can I leave aus after application for citizenship? I need to go back to UK for 6 months to a year. Is that something immigration won't like? 

Many thanks 

Hi everyone,

I lodged my citizenship a few weeks ago. I am just wondering if there is anyone's application here that was processed quicker than expected? I am kind of hoping to still be able to get the $25K grant from government if there is any chance the citizenship will be granted this year. 😕

Thank you all 🙂

Edited by cams326