AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

Just had my test appointment today morning in Brisbane. It was easy-peasy, the whole process took less than 10 minutes. Just sharing my experience,

• I took a printout of the appointment which was checked by the guy at the front desk. He scanned it and gave me a slip with an Alphanumeric number and was asked to wait inside. 
  • I was called in one of the counters with the slip number
  • Officer just verified my license and asked for my name and address. She explained all the process of test and ceremonies. 
  • Later, she said all my documents are clear and should be good. She gave me an iPad to do the test right there. (I thought they would send me to a different room with a desktop)
  • Test done. She initiated AFP verification. Came back clear straight away (she told me, for few people it takes days, but mostly comes back within minutes..)
  • She approved the application straight away and said I have to wait for Brisbane City Council for the ceremony invitation. I asked if they are doing virtual ceremony and she said 'NO' - Queensland not doing virtual ceremonies anymore.
  • Officer congratulated and said I can leave. Thanked her and stormed out. 

Timeline:

• Citizenship App: 08/Aug/2020
  • Test invite: 17/Nov/2020 (Test date: 15/01/2021)
  • Test date (Rescheduled) 20/Nov/2020 
  • Approved: 20/Nov/2020

Now, waiting for the ceremony letter.. Good luck for others with your process. 

Edited by Chennaiguy
  • Congratulations 3

8 hours ago, Chennaiguy said:

Just had my test appointment today morning in Brisbane. It was easy-peasy, the whole process took less than 10 minutes. Just sharing my experience,

• I took a printout of the appointment which was checked by the guy at the front desk. He scanned it and gave me a slip with an Alphanumeric number and was asked to wait inside. 
  • I was called in one of the counters with the slip number
  • Officer just verified my license and asked for my name and address. She explained all the process of test and ceremonies. 
  • Later, she said all my documents are clear and should be good. She gave me an iPad to do the test right there. (I thought they would send me to a different room with a desktop)
  • Test done. She initiated AFP verification. Came back clear straight away (she told me, for few people it takes days, but mostly comes back within minutes..)
  • She approved the application straight away and said I have to wait for Brisbane City Council for the ceremony invitation. I asked if they are doing virtual ceremony and she said 'NO' - Queensland not doing virtual ceremonies anymore.
  • Officer congratulated and said I can leave. Thanked her and stormed out. 

Timeline:

• Citizenship App: 08/Aug/2020
  • Test invite: 17/Nov/2020 (Test date: 15/01/2021)
  • Test date (Rescheduled) 20/Nov/2020 
  • Approved: 20/Nov/2020

Now, waiting for the ceremony letter..  Good luck for others with your process. 

That is awesome! I read your post this morning and was feeling hopeful as i'm also Brisbane and then got my Test Invite today too! Good to hear that the process and test is easy :)

Timeline:

• Citizenship App: 20/08/20 (Was actually eligible in June but completely forgot!)
  • Test invite: 20/06/2020 (Test date: 20/01/2021)
  • Test date (Rescheduled) 27/11/2020 (Will be keeping a look for a sooner one)

5 hours ago, user121 said:

That is awesome! I read your post this morning and was feeling hopeful as i'm also Brisbane and then got my Test Invite today too! Good to hear that the process and test is easy 🙂

Timeline (Corrected):

• Citizenship App: 20/08/20 (Was actually eligible in June but completely forgot!)
  • Test invite: 20/11/2020 (Test date: 20/01/2021)
  • Test date (Rescheduled) 27/11/2020 (Will be keeping a look for a sooner one)

On 13/11/2020 at 12:38, Coreanoob said:

Hi Everyone!

Just a follow up with the new status on my citizenship application! My application got approved today (Passed the test on the 4th of Nov) and I definitely will write a letter to the department which takes charge of scheduling ceremony dates so that it happens within 2020! Fingers crossed.

Citizenship App: 17 July 2020
Test Invitation: 26 October 20
Original Test Date: 4 December

Re-scheduled Date: 4 November
Approval: 13 November
Ceremony: TBA
Council: Adelaide (SA) / City of Campbelltown Council

Hi Everyone!

Another happy follow up with the new status on my citizenship application! I have just received an email from ceremony SA to attend the virtual ceremony which is going to get held tomorrow! I am so surprised by the prompt process that DHA is making

p.s) I provided all the legitimate information and supporting documents for the reason why I am hurrying to get the ceremony done to the ceremony SA.

Ceremony: Virtual Ceremony 24 Nov

• Congratulations 3

Congratulations mate! Can you please advise which email you used? Am also desperate to have my ceremony as only my husband and younger son got their invitation but me and my older son received nothing regardless how many times i tried to sort it out on the phone. 
congratulations again and best of luck

7 minutes ago, coquette said:

Congratulations mate! Can you please advise which email you used? Am also desperate to have my ceremony as only my husband and younger son got their invitation but me and my older son received nothing regardless how many times i tried to sort it out on the phone. 
congratulations again and best of luck

Thank you! This is the email address that I used for my request

ceremony.sa@homeaffairs.gov.au

sa could change to nsw, vic, tas, qld etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coreanoob said:

Hi Everyone!

Another happy follow up with the new status on my citizenship application! I have just received an email from ceremony SA to attend the virtual ceremony which is going to get held tomorrow! I am so surprised by the prompt process that DHA is making

p.s) I provided all the legitimate information and supporting documents for the reason why I am hurrying to get the ceremony done to the ceremony SA.

Ceremony: Virtual Ceremony 24 Nov

Many congratulations.. 

Please advise did you reschedule your test  online or calling them?

what supporting documents you provided for arrangement of ceremony?

Many thanks and congratulations again! 

1 hour ago, fary said:

Many congratulations.. 

Please advise did you reschedule your test  online or calling them?

what supporting documents you provided for arrangement of ceremony?

Many thanks and congratulations again! 

Thanks. Once you get an email from DHA to sit on the citizenship interview/test, most people can change their dates of the test through the website provided (Apart from some other cases). I was first scheduled to sit on the test on the 4th of Dec and I rescheduled to 4th of Nov but I strongly advise you to constantly check the website to find out the availability and you gotta be quick! I attached some documents to provide support to my claim that I am strongly willing to study further in tertiary studies for next year. I included info about the HECS Loan as well as my academic transcript etc to prove it is a legitimate reason.

• Thanks 1

Just to share that our son (aged 17-years) applied from ACT on 29 August 2020. His application was approved on 30 October 2020. He is exempt from test and has now received offer to attend Citizenship ceremony on 9 December 2020 at Albert Hall, Canberra.

On the other hand, we are still waiting for approval of our application. We, the whole family, applied on the same day i.e. 29 Aug 2020 and the status of our applications are still RECEIVED. Any idea when our applications are likely to be approved?????

3 hours ago, Tipu said:

Hi our application is waiting for approval. After that test date would be conveyed.

Not really! You would get a test date first in which your original documents will be verified and you will sit for test. Only after this, your application will move to 'Approved' stage. 

• Like 1

Do any of you know how to apply for siblings in parallel for citizenship and get the discount? I’ve created, and nearly finished, my first child’s overseas application and it has asked for some sibling details, but it’s not clear if both siblings will get their citizenship through this first application, or if I have to create a separate one.

Do I need to create a second application immediately afterward for my second child, mark it as ‘The second family member applying for the sibling discount’ and then it will automatically charge the discounted amount?

On 17/11/2020 at 16:47, 123stella said:

Applied for citizenship: 15 October 2020

Council: Cairns 

Invitation letter for test received on: 11 November 2020

Test Appointment : 4 December 2020

Rescheduled: 17 November 2020

17 November 2020: test PASSED, application APPROVED shortly after.

My partner has applied on the same day, but he still didn't received a test date. It might be because he has criminal records (15 years ago in Italy).

Nice! Please if you can, keep us update with your dates...aproval letter, ceremony.

Thank you! All the best

Sorry to bother you again Chennaiguy, Thanks for your above explanation. Kindly let me know whether DHA, after having look at our applications, will notify us through the IMMI Account or by sending a letter by post, about the test date?

57 minutes ago, Tipu said:

Sorry to bother you again Chennaiguy, Thanks for your above explanation. Kindly let me know whether DHA, after having look at our applications, will notify us through the IMMI Account or by sending a letter by post, about the test date?

Hey Tipu, 

You will need to keep an eye on your EMAIL. DHA would send an email about your test date and venue along with a formal invitation. You won't be notified about the appointment in Immi Account either. Immi Account will be updated only after you finish your test and docs are verified. 

Just keep checking your email. Thats all you can do for now.