AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

Hi all, anyone from City of Gold Coast council waiting for the invitation letter? How long have you been waiting? I read online 65% of the applicants are invited within 3 months.

That is my timeline:

Application submitted: 31/8/2022

Test passed: 16/11/2022

Application approved: 02/12/2022

Waiting on the invitation letter.

Do you guys have the dates for citizenship ceremonies on the Gold Coast for 2023? Thank you so much in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Danish Saleem said:

It is , as long as you are under the advertised processing timeframe you should be fine , don’t worry 

We are not. My wife applied 15 months ago and according to the website 90% of applications reach a decision in 14 months or less. Call the department but they said they cant provide status update

4 minutes ago, Danish Saleem said:

My application also took a long time , so if you have a  international travel history even before getting PR this can also count towards the delay 

Could you tell me how long it took your application to get approved after the interview?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I didn't attend my citizenship ceremony today because my family is currently out of Australia and my kids who are in my application would have thier visas cancelled if I had attended because when a citizenship letter is granted all the current visas are cancelled. I had informed DOHA about this through phone call and email and they advised me not to attend the ceremony and then wait for the next invitation. Can anybody guide on when should I expect another invitation for the ceremony. Thanks.

Hi All,

I was granted my citizenship today! Incredibly excited and relieved to be at the finish line. 

About 12 months for the entire process from submitting my application to receiving my citizenship. 7 years prior to that for PR and multiple temporary visas, etc. 

Wishing you all the best on your journey for citizenship! 

• Congratulations 2

Just trying to find out a little bit more about the process. Is their a good website anyone suggest so I can understand what's involved?

Does anyone know if you have to give up your British passport to become a citizen or can you keep it and still become citizen with Australian passport?

Edited by Waz05

Start here. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/become-a-citizen
yes you can keep your Uk citizenship but once you are an Australian citizen you must use an Australian passport to leave and enter Australia. 
The hardest bit is filling in the application form (no surprise there) the test isn’t difficult and if you revise the document recommended on the. Gov website you will be fine.  The interview is more like a chat to verify your identity. 
First step is to identify if you are eligible. 

Thank you @rammygirl for you response.

Can I just ask follow-up question, so we are in middle of 491 visa application which allows us after 3 years to apply for permanent residency. But for citizenship it's only after 4 years. Is this the process everyone follow's or do I need to watch out for anything else?

Sorry for loads of questions but I wanted to take advice from folks who have gone through this process so I am clear in my head what I would need to do. 

Many thanks in advance.

Will traveling to my current home country (India) for 4-5 weeks delay processing of my citizenship application? 

- will it slow down the processing & delay invitation for a interview date (if travelling before interview) 

- will it slow down the invitation for ceremony (if travelling after interview/approval) 

3 hours ago, Waz05 said:

Thank you @rammygirl for you response.

Can I just ask follow-up question, so we are in middle of 491 visa application which allows us after 3 years to apply for permanent residency. But for citizenship it's only after 4 years. Is this the process everyone follow's or do I need to watch out for anything else?

Sorry for loads of questions but I wanted to take advice from folks who have gone through this process so I am clear in my head what I would need to do. 

Many thanks in advance.

For citizenship you must also have been PR for one year so it will be more than 4 years for you depending how long the PR process takes. There are also other rules in the link I posted. 
We didn’t come on a 491 so I can’t really give insight for that one. 

7 hours ago, MSingh1 said:

Will traveling to my current home country (India) for 4-5 weeks delay processing of my citizenship application? 

- will it slow down the processing & delay invitation for a interview date (if travelling before interview) 

- will it slow down the invitation for ceremony (if travelling after interview/approval) 

In our case it did slow down the process for the interview as we were invited later than we had anticipated but I dont think it will have anything to do with your ceremony once you are approved

Edited by Iman

44 minutes ago, Iman said:

In our case it did slow down the process for the interview as we were invited later than we had anticipated but I dont think it will have anything to do with your ceremony once you are approved

Thanks Iman. 

How much delay is expected ? 1 month ?

Edited by MSingh1

16 hours ago, MSingh1 said:

Thanks Iman. 

How much delay is expected ? 1 month ?

I was overseas for 3 months. When I compared my invite date with others who had applied the same time as me, it seemed liked mine was 3-4 months later

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Iman said:

Hi

After citizenship approval, do we get the invite for the ceremony through post or is it still on immiaccount abd thru email?

From all the forums and discussion I have been through.

The ceremony invitation letter is delivered via mail. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...