AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

2 hours ago, sam_may_2020 said:

Hello everyone,
We are Indian citizen and can apply for Australian one now.
Should we both apply for citizenship or only one?
Is there any benefit by applying Aus citizen for one person and keeping the Indian for the other one.

Can someone help me on that?

I can help u..if u let me know the benefits of having the Indian passport over Australian passport

6 hours ago, DIG85 said:

I was not aware that DHA could cancel a citizenship application simply because the applicant had gone abroad. My understanding accords with mixology’s - the OP need do nothing because the processing of the application will be resumed on his or her return to Australia.

The experience of some of my colleagues is that it often gets approved quite quickly after the applicant’s return to Australia - which suggests that processing continues whilst the applicant is abroad and DHA is just waiting for the applicant to return before they hit the approve button. Obviously that will be different in the OP’s case because he or she has not sat the test, but it could all happen quite quickly now they are back in Aus.

I'm aware that's what happens when someone goes overseas for a short period. However is that what happens when someone goes overseas long term as the OP did? Perhaps, perhaps not. Hopefully he'll let us know.

54 minutes ago, Ken said:

I'm aware that's what happens when someone goes overseas for a short period. However is that what happens when someone goes overseas long term as the OP did? Perhaps, perhaps not. Hopefully he'll let us know.

Two of my friends had their applications canceled.            Details correct to the best of my memory                                                     

One was out of Australia for just over 3 months in the year of application?

The other as far as I know had accumulated too many days out of Australia over a certain number of years pre application?

2 hours ago, ramot said:

Two of my friends had their applications canceled.            Details correct to the best of my memory                                                     

One was out of Australia for just over 3 months in the year of application?

The other as far as I know had accumulated too many days out of Australia over a certain number of years pre application?

Without further information, I'm not sure this proves anything.

The second person never submitted a valid application in the first place, so him or her being out of the country post application had nothing to do with the application being rejected.

The first person's application may also have been invalid if those 3 months outside Australia were prior to the application and they had also spent time outside Australia in previous years, such that their combined period outside Australia exceeded 12 months in the previous 4 years. If the 3 months outside Australia occurred post-application, did he or she inform DHA of their intended absence, as you are required to do? 3 months' absence post-application does not seem like a particularly long period.

Edited by DIG85

56 minutes ago, DIG85 said:

Without further information, I'm not sure this proves anything.

The second person never submitted a valid application in the first place, so him or her being out of the country post application had nothing to do with the application being rejected.

The first person's application may also have been invalid if those 3 months outside Australia were prior to the application and they had also spent time outside Australia in previous years, such that their combined period outside Australia exceeded 12 months in the previous 4 years. If the 3 months outside Australia occurred post-application, did he or she inform DHA of their intended absence, as you are required to do? 3 months' absence post-application does not seem like a particularly long period.

I wasn’t actually trying to prove anything and I admitted my memory was hazy, but I think you are right about the first example, because she had been out of the country for unfortunately just over the three months in the year prior to applying so her application was rejected. she re applied as soon as she was eligible and got her citizenship. She was just annoyed with herself that she she could have come back a week earlier if she had realised.

I seem to remember, that the other friend to be honest was in and out of Australia so much that he either exceeded the number of days allowed over a certain number of years to be eligible to apply, or just the previous year as well. All I know is that  application was rejected?

Better  word application rejected rather than canceled. 

Hi all

i sat the test this morning and thought I’d let you know how it went, 

interview was straightforward few basic questions and I had to show my drivers license passport and birth certificate ,

you then go to a room with a client log on number and sit the test, you get 45 mins for 20 questions. Similar to practice tests just worded differently. Do study the material as everything you need to know is in there. 
I got 100% and was approved within an hour! 
good luck everyone fingers crossed 🤞 to those waiting! 

• Congratulations 2

2 minutes ago, suhailayaan@aim.com said:

Hi, 

We applied for Citizenship in Aug 2021. We are in Dandenong, Victoria

Anyone, from Victoria or Dandenong with same wait time, please advise. Those who got their interview and citizenship done from Victoria recently, please share your timeline. Thanks

victorians received invites in april-end for tests in may. most of the invites were for the ones who had applied in march 2021. 
hope this helps.

33 minutes ago, Crazy 4 said:

Approved Mar 2022

You might already have following information (attached) but still sharing from melton council's website.

After approval it can take up to 6 months for ceremony but things have picked up pace recently. So you should hear something soon. You can check with council if you like but I am not sure if they will have an answer for you. It depends on who answers the phone and whether they are willing to help with your enquiry. You can probably ask a general question that which month (approved applications) they are covering currently. That way you will have a better idea. 

I could only find 3 approved applications on immi tracker awaiting ceremonies. 2 applied in Jan 2021 and 1 is from october 2020.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 1.34.29 pm.png

3 hours ago, suhailayaan@aim.com said:

Hi, 

We applied for Citizenship in Aug 2021. We are in Dandenong, Victoria

Anyone, from Victoria or Dandenong with same wait time, please advise. Those who got their interview and citizenship done from Victoria recently, please share your timeline. Thanks

People who applied on 9 and 11 May 2021 from Brimbank, Victoria, have received an invitation for test and interview today. Most applications up to 11 May 2021 have received invites by now.

They have been processing 6 to 8 weeks worth of applications from Victoria every month so you might receive your invite in July 2022.

1 hour ago, VIC-WAIT-GAME (NO WAY HOME) said:

You might already have following information (attached) but still sharing from melton council's website.

After approval it can take up to 6 months for ceremony but things have picked up pace recently. So you should hear something soon. You can check with council if you like but I am not sure if they will have an answer for you. It depends on who answers the phone and whether they are willing to help with your enquiry. You can probably ask a general question that which month (approved applications) they are covering currently. That way you will have a better idea. 

I could only find 3 approved applications on immi tracker awaiting ceremonies. 2 applied in Jan 2021 and 1 is from october 2020.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 1.34.29 pm.png

Thank you so much for your positive feedback 

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I applied for citizenship on 1st July 2021 along with my 2 kids, my husband  applied on 15th July 2021.He got invitations for test on 28/09/2021.His test was on 28/10/2021 got approval 2 weeks later .I got invitation for test on 26/10/2021 and test was on 3/11/2021.passed test with 100% .Got approval within 5 minutes.

finally today our whole family got invitation for ceremony on 8th June (Gold Coast city council ).11 months from application to ceremony.

paper application submitted at Brisbane immigration office.

wish you all the very best .

22 hours ago, Simarjot said:

Hi Guys,

I applied for citizenship on 1st July 2021 along with my 2 kids, my husband  applied on 15th July 2021.He got invitations for test on 28/09/2021.His test was on 28/10/2021 got approval 2 weeks later .I got invitation for test on 26/10/2021 and test was on 3/11/2021.passed test with 100% .Got approval within 5 minutes.

finally today our whole family got invitation for ceremony on 8th June (Gold Coast city council ).11 months from application to ceremony.

paper application submitted at Brisbane immigration office.

wish you all the very best .

11 months from application to ceremony is back to pre-covid timescales. Excellent news for everyone (assuming your timescale is the average and not an outlier).