AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

8 hours ago, citseeker said:

I personally think

I personally think that COVID is a really weak excuse for this...

You apply online.. your documents are submitted online, the case officers work online...your approval is done online..even your ceremony is done online... Last I checked, COVID cannot transmit through the internet...

The only thing you need to be present for is the interview and the test which if processed for 100 people a day ( not a big deal if you have 5 case officers assigned to this)... And you work for 250 days a year.. that's 25000 people every year so over 2 years would be 50k people.. the number of applicants we see online of 145k would most probably include children as well.. who don't need an interview... Let's say 40k of those are children..that means 100k applications across AU.. and maybe around 30k of whom are in VIC..

Anyways, this is just my theory and I am sure there are many factors involved.. however the govt should explain what exactly is taking so long... People have left behind a lot to reach here and deserve the respect to know why do they have to wait for so long.

100% Agree! This entire process takes place end to end online. Using 2020 and 2021 as an excuse for the delays in Vuctoria is pathetic. 

Other states have been hit quite hard as well and managed to keep things under control and turn around time are very reasonable. 

They should either hire more staff to churn through more applications and bring down processing times to a reasonable pace in line with the rest of the country or remove inefficiencies in their current process, which doesn't seem to be working out too well with no end in sight 

1 hour ago, mansbrofessor said:

100% Agree! This entire process takes place end to end online. Using 2020 and 2021 as an excuse for the delays in Vuctoria is pathetic. 

Other states have been hit quite hard as well and managed to keep things under control and turn around time are very reasonable. 

They should either hire more staff to churn through more applications and bring down processing times to a reasonable pace in line with the rest of the country or remove inefficiencies in their current process, which doesn't seem to be working out too well with no end in sight 

NSW hit very harder than VIC in the second half of 2021 (1st July 2021 to 26th Nov2021 ). I could see that the number of tests conducted in NSW from 1st July 2021 to 26th Nov 2021(within 5 months) was around 80K. 16K applications per month  processed in NSW and hardly very few/none from Victoria in this period. This is nothing to do with long lockdown of Melbourne. Looks like intensionally delaying Victorian applications.  Now a days every state is getting test invites within 6 months except Victoria(taking around 15 to 18 months) which is not acceptable.

Edited by MLB_Applicant

This is my theory. Victorian government thinks that by slowing down the whole process they might be able to contain that work force which has plans to leave the country for sometime after getting the citizenship. This might be helpful specially when new migrants are not being allowed to come in and there is an increasing shortage of workers in different sectors.

21 hours ago, Sophia02 said:

That may depend, have you received any email from the department saying you have now been approved? This email is usually signed by the current immi minister. Once this email has been sent it should show approved, in some cases it may take a few days to show though..

Didn't receive anything yet, neither email nor post and status still shows received.

It's been 2 weeks since I passed the test.

35 minutes ago, Yameen said:

This is my theory. Victorian government thinks that by slowing down the whole process they might be able to contain that work force which has plans to leave the country for sometime after getting the citizenship. This might be helpful specially when new migrants are not being allowed to come in and there is an increasing shortage of workers in different sectors.

All the citizenship applications will be processed by Federal Government and nothing to do by Victorian government. The entire credit delay of processing victorian applications goes to federal government.

29 minutes ago, MLB_Applicant said:

All the citizenship applications will be processed by Federal Government and nothing to do by Victorian government. The entire credit delay of processing victorian applications goes to federal government.

Only the approval process sits with federal ... 

invitation to test and interview and ceremony resides with the individual state.. which is why WA SA TAS have relatively much quicker turn around time

13 minutes ago, citseeker said:

Only the approval process sits with federal ... 

invitation to test and interview and ceremony resides with the individual state.. which is why WA SA TAS have relatively much quicker turn around time

The entire process will be maintained by fed govt. The list of candidates for invitation, test, interview and even ceremony will be sent to the respective state govt/councils by fed govt. All the state/councils are only facilitators. The candidates list has to get from fed government to conduct either test/interview/ceremony.

22 hours ago, Athens07 said:

Fingers crossed! I’m in the same boat and I can feel your concerns. By the way is ridiculous that covid situation has been used for delays ! Especially when they’re working from home. Except if at home they doing anything else except working. I’m waiting 9 months after my interview/test day for approval. 15 months in total after my application lodgement. And it is stressful. Especially when I faced that with my permanent visa approval in past waiting for 4,5 years .  

That's actually agonising and stressful. 9 months after the interview, yet no approval or update. Hope you hear something soon. The whole visa process, permanent residence and citizenship process is a total chaos. I would say, a nightmare. Every month processing times on the offical website change. How fair is that. I have noticed, on average 12000 people apply for citizenship each month (by conferral) from all over Australia. And yet, Victoria is in severe backlog. What is more painful is that there is no answer, no solution, nothing. 

I got a reply from the Citizenship Delivery Program department. Here’s mainly what they wrote …

I wish to acknowledge your concerns resulting from the delay in progressing your application ceremony allocation.

Once approved applicants are required to attend a Citizenship Ceremony with 12 months of approval. Noting that your citizenship application was approved  on 27 March 2021, it is expected that you will receive an invitation to a future ceremony within that 12 month timeframe.  
When you are allocated to a future citizenship ceremony, you will receive an invitation approximately two to four weeks prior to the scheduled date. Thank you for confirming that your contact details are up-to-date as this will ensure your future ceremony invitation is sent to the correct address.

Citizenship ceremonies have been impacted by COVID-19 related lockdowns, with some ceremonies have been cancelled and re-scheduled to a later date. In addition to this, the number of conferees permitted to attend each ceremony has been limited to comply with relevant social distancing guidelines. 

Due to the large volume of applications proceeding to ceremony the Department is working closely with local councils to reduce wait times wherever possible

Hi folks, received my invite to the pledge ceremony today 9th Feb 2022.

Applied June  2021

Test / Interview  Aug 2021

Invite to Ceremony 9th Feb 2022 (by email) also copy on Immi account. 

Ceremony date 21st Feb 2022

South Australia

Onkaparinga council, Adelaide. 

• Congratulations 1

On 07/02/2022 at 11:46, citseeker said:

Does anyone know after how many days of appearing for the ceremony can one invite for a passport?

I have heard it can be done once the application on immi account turns to finalized. How long does it take from going to approved to finalized?

thanks

Hi,

I applied for my passport two days after the ceremony (morning of 28th Jan) and got it (31th Jan). I did not wait for my immi account to show finalised. Also, when I put my citizenship certificate number in the passport application, it did not recognise it. But, I could still process my application.    

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eng.moha said:

Hi,

I applied for my passport two days after the ceremony (morning of 28th Jan) and got it (31th Jan). I did not wait for my immi account to show finalised. Also, when I put my citizenship certificate number in the passport application, it did not recognise it. But, I could still process my application.    

Thanks for getting back..

Did you apply on the 28th of this year? Also, did you apply as a priority?

thanks

9 hours ago, Wesoos said:

Hi Everyone,
I have applied online. A curiosity question, after you apply for citizenship online, do you receive the invitation letter by post or email or both image.gif.a7e0b3ba0a40d2c6c64b16b3de812ce7.gif.
Thanks

Are you talking about the invitation to the interview/test?

I was contacted by phone and asked if I could attend the following week, I can't remember if I received a letter by mail as well, but the invitation was on my immi account the following evening after the phone call.

20 hours ago, Wesoos said:

Hi Everyone,
I have applied online. A curiosity question, after you apply for citizenship online, do you receive the invitation letter by post or email or both image.gif.a7e0b3ba0a40d2c6c64b16b3de812ce7.gif.
Thanks

It seems to vary dependent on where you are. We got letter and e mail some just get a letter in the post. Our ceremony invite was just by post.