AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

1 hour ago, Waiting_in_vic said:

Yeah sure, 23/11/2020. Still shows as received in immiaccount, from what I’ve read that won’t change until after the test though.

Congratulations on the first contact! Do you mind sharing what council please? My husband applied 18/11/2020 and I applied 23/11/2020 as well and we haven't heard any yet, also from Melbourne. Just hoping something will move soon! 

11 hours ago, Waiting_in_vic said:

Yeah, applied 23/11/2020, only got my appointment letter last week, but still shows as received in immi. That won’t change until after the appointment/test, from what I’ve gathered.

Wow that's a pretty long wait. How is it people who applied mid-2021 from Vic/NSW got their letter already? 

12 hours ago, Waiting_in_vic said:

Yeah, applied 23/11/2020, only got my appointment letter last week, but still shows as received in immi. That won’t change until after the appointment/test, from what I’ve gathered.

Hi, I applied on Feb 3rd 2021 in Melbourne. By looking at your timeline, Since you just got test appointment last week where your application date is Nov 23 2020. So I should hear something in next 2 months based on current processing rate. Is this correct assumption?

Question - I guess, like me, everyone on this thread is waiting for citizenship, so you may not know the answer. Worth asking though!

I'm currently in Melbourne and would be potentially moving soon to a different state with (probably!) less of a backlog on their testing centres. My application shows as "received" - I don't have any date for a test/interview yet.

I chatted with IMMI service line today. I asked about change of address.

The representative directed me to change my address in the online portal (under "update details" inside the application). 

I did note that changing the address doesn't change the assigned test centre or council, and asked him how the process follows from there.

The representative told me that I will contacted according to the closest test centre to my new address.

However, he didn't say whether the application would be processed sooner than it would be in Melbourne. I guess that's a complicated question to answer.

So I'm asking you - does anyone here have experience  of changing the address to another state's (or know of someone who did)?

Has that shortened your wait for an appointment?

Cheers 🙂 

On 24/01/2022 at 15:47, RKPuj said:

Hi, I applied on Feb 3rd 2021 in Melbourne. By looking at your timeline, Since you just got test appointment last week where your application date is Nov 23 2020. So I should hear something in next 2 months based on current processing rate. Is this correct assumption?

Not sure exactly when the  Victorian will get the invitations due to discrimination while conducting tests in Victoria. I could see  that the number of tests conducted in NSW from 1st July 2021 to 26th Nov 2021(within 5 months) was around 80K. 16K per month in NSW and hardly very few/none  from Victoria in this period. I think, around 70% of pending applications are from Victoria.

2 hours ago, MLB_Applicant said:

The average time for Victorian around 18 months to 24 months and ONLY 6 months for rest of the AUSTRALIA........

Sunshine Coast is longer than that. We applied 25 months ago. Approved 10 months ago and still waiting for a ceremony invite. 

1 hour ago, samlab said:

Sunshine Coast is longer than that. We applied 25 months ago. Approved 10 months ago and still waiting for a ceremony invite. 

Victorian are struggling to get test invite. Some of the Victorians are still waiting for test invite since Oct 2020.

One of my friend lodged his application in Nov 2020 (Melbourne location) and he moved to Brisbane, his  application got approved in March 2021, Ceremony completed on 26th Jan 2022. I also lodged at the same time (Nov 2020) and still struggling to get the test invite.

I agreed that ceremony is taking around 9 to 12 months for Brisbane Candidates.

On 24/01/2022 at 01:14, MerryPumpkin said:

Congratulations on the first contact! Do you mind sharing what council please? My husband applied 18/11/2020 and I applied 23/11/2020 as well and we haven't heard any yet, also from Melbourne. Just hoping something will move soon! 

Sorry for the late reply - City of Greater Bendigo, so non-metro, but seems like all of Vic is moving at the same glacial pace. Fingers crossed you get one soon!

On 24/01/2022 at 12:47, RKPuj said:

That’s what I’d think yes - I was assuming I’d be waiting another month or two, based on others’ experiences, but I’m in Regional Vic so it’s seems it’s been a very tiny bit quicker (but by a month, nothing to sell your house and move for haha).

On 24/01/2022 at 11:09, username303 said:

Wow that's a pretty long wait. How is it people who applied mid-2021 from Vic/NSW got their letter already? 

No idea mate. NSW I get, because they were functioning much more normally, but all of Vic’s been a state (no pun intended) because of how hard we were hit with lockdowns. Basically ground to a halt.

On 30/01/2022 at 01:41, Waiting_in_vic said:

That’s what I’d think yes - I was assuming I’d be waiting another month or two, based on others’ experiences, but I’m in Regional Vic so it’s seems it’s been a very tiny bit quicker (but by a month, nothing to sell your house and move for haha).

Not everyone. I'm from NSW and still waiting.

Application submitted    - 14 May 2021
Australian citizenship Interview With Standard Test invitation received - 24 December 2021
Australian citizenship test - 24 January 2022

Council - Strathfield Council
Citizenship test Location - City of Sydney

I'd scored 100% on the day and passed the test. However, the application status in Immiaccount still shows as "received"

Is there anyone in the same boat?

On 25/01/2022 at 21:13, Qball said:

Question - I guess, like me, everyone on this thread is waiting for citizenship, so you may not know the answer. Worth asking though!

I'm currently in Melbourne and would be potentially moving soon to a different state with (probably!) less of a backlog on their testing centres. My application shows as "received" - I don't have any date for a test/interview yet.

I chatted with IMMI service line today. I asked about change of address.

The representative directed me to change my address in the online portal (under "update details" inside the application). 

I did note that changing the address doesn't change the assigned test centre or council, and asked him how the process follows from there.

The representative told me that I will contacted according to the closest test centre to my new address.

However, he didn't say whether the application would be processed sooner than it would be in Melbourne. I guess that's a complicated question to answer.

So I'm asking you - does anyone here have experience  of changing the address to another state's (or know of someone who did)?

Has that shortened your wait for an appointment?

Cheers 🙂 

I do know someone who applied and did their test and interview in Sydney. They were then waiting months (last year) for the ceremony. Circumstances changed and they moved to Adelaide, called to change their address and got invited to a ceremony in Adelaide within a day or so of the address change. 

7 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I do know someone who applied and did their test and interview in Sydney. They were then waiting months (last year) for the ceremony. Circumstances changed and they moved to Adelaide, called to change their address and got invited to a ceremony in Adelaide within a day or so of the address change. 

Pre-Covid we moved house from one part of Melbourne to another. My wife who'd been waiting 10 months for a ceremony got an invite from the new council about 2 week later. It's not just a matter of which capital city it's about the individual council within that city. They all operate separately and have their own priorities. 

• Like 1

On 31/01/2022 at 19:08, margin_call said:

Application submitted    - 14 May 2021
Australian citizenship Interview With Standard Test invitation received - 24 December 2021
Australian citizenship test - 24 January 2022

Council - Strathfield Council
Citizenship test Location - City of Sydney

I'd scored 100% on the day and passed the test. However, the application status in Immiaccount still shows as "received"

Is there anyone in the same boat?

Same here.

Application July 2021

interview and test in Sydney CBD 20 January 2022- passed 100% and Immiaccount still shows "received".

I didn't receive any email yet.

Edited by Todaynottomorrow
wrong date