AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

On 17/01/2022 at 03:16, Deep1984 said:

I applied in sept 2020. Just received the appointment letter for the test on 7 Feb. The waiting period for open files in Melbourne is 17 months. Just have patience soon will be open yours. Good luck .

Great to know, thanks. I applied in Nov 2020, nothing has happened since, but hopefully won't be much longer.

Not really bothered now since I've had to pay for a RRV already anyway!

On 16/01/2022 at 02:16, Mano said:

I have applied from Victoria in March 2021, and need to travel overseas for a couple of months.

Does anyone know whether I am legally allowed to travel while awaiting an outcome of the application?

You're all good, I've been overseas twice while I've been waiting. If your visa's travel facility has expired you'll need to pay for a RRV, and it won't progress while you're overseas (so if your time comes, it'll wait until you're back onshore before you get the approval), but no issues with coming and going other than that though.

If you applied in March 2021 you've prob got 5-6 months to go until you hear anything anyway.

4 hours ago, Waiting_in_vic said:

My post yesterday must have brought me luck - got an email at 15:30 today with my appointment and interview mid Feb. So just short of 14 months until this first contact, 15 months from application to interview.

See how that goes, then hopefully the ceremony.

Can you please share the date of lodgement?

54 minutes ago, annagilda said:

I got my ceremony invitation yesterday! Woohooh! 26th of January. 🙂

lodged mid August 2021, test and approval 15th November 2021, ceremony scheduled for the 26th. Good luck everyone! Its coming. 

Oh wow! Ceremony invite just 7 days before the event? That's great!

You are in QLD right?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, annagilda said:

I got my ceremony invitation yesterday! Woohooh! 26th of January. 🙂

lodged mid August 2021, test and approval 15th November 2021, ceremony scheduled for the 26th. Good luck everyone! Its coming. 

Congratulations 🎉 that’s great.
Please could you share your location? 

6 hours ago, citseeker said:

Oh wow! Ceremony invite just 7 days before the event? That's great!

You are in QLD right?

Yeah, I'm in QLD, but in a very remote, small community so I half expected that. I'm pretty sure I personally know every other person getting their citizenship next week. We've been getting really excited about it. 🙂

On 18/01/2022 at 16:48, Waiting_in_vic said:

You're all good, I've been overseas twice while I've been waiting. If your visa's travel facility has expired you'll need to pay for a RRV, and it won't progress while you're overseas (so if your time comes, it'll wait until you're back onshore before you get the approval), but no issues with coming and going other than that though.

If you applied in March 2021 you've prob got 5-6 months to go until you hear anything anyway.

Thank you very much for the info mate!

Hey Sydneysiders & to be Australians..

Just received the long awaited email.

Here is my timeline:

State: NSW (Sydney CBD)

Applied Citizenship: 16/07/2021

Invitation: 21/01/2022

Test date: 18/03/2022 (no dates to reschedule yet)

Approval: TBA

Ceremony: TBA

Cheers & Godspeed to everyone awaiting.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Muhammmad Umair said:

If we move from Melbourne to another state like NT or SA will the process be faster or they will assess the application as same as Victoria?

NT and SA are much faster than VIC and NSW

But, you have to apply while you are in those two states.. meaning, the address you put in has to be an SA or NT one and the council you choose also has to be an SA or NT one so that it gets processed in their queue... If you applied while in VIC using a vic address and then move to SA or NT, you will have to edit the application ..

8 hours ago, Muhammmad Umair said:

If we move from Melbourne to another state like NT or SA will the process be faster or they will assess the application as same as Victoria?

We’re in NT 

Process from applying, test , approval, ceremony and getting passports which arrived last week. Took 8 months to do the whole lot 

On 20/01/2022 at 15:22, annagilda said:

Yeah, I'm in QLD, but in a very remote, small community so I half expected that. I'm pretty sure I personally know every other person getting their citizenship next week. We've been getting really excited about it. 🙂

Hi Annagilda, 

If you don't mind asking, are you located in Far North Queensland. My nephew lives nearby Atherton which is an hours drive from Cairns. He is eligible to apply for citizenship in May 2022, however he wanted to move from QLD to NSW. I told him he will get citizenship quicker if he applies from there rather than applying from Sydney where he wants to move.

8 hours ago, username303 said:

Application date: 30th June 2021 from Melbourne. Status on Immi is still showing as Received. Anyone else on the same boat as me?

Yeah, applied 23/11/2020, only got my appointment letter last week, but still shows as received in immi. That won’t change until after the appointment/test, from what I’ve gathered.

On 22/01/2022 at 15:05, Muhammmad Umair said:

Move from Melb to any other state and it’ll be faster. Vic is by far the slowest because of how hard we were hit in 2020/21 with lockdowns etc.. a friend in WA applied around the same time as me, had the appointment and ceremony all done within a couple of months! Of course WA is only now starting to enter the pandemic with the rest of us, life has been pretty much normal there (other than travel of course).

Now that Omicron is taking hold all over the country though, who knows how that’ll affect things in the short-medium term.