Future in Australia

Aussiebird

On 29/03/2020 at 15:48, Gbye grey sky said:

I would confidently predict that overseas travel (barring returning nationals) will not restart until there is a COVID 19 vaccine and it is widely distributed so that a population truly has herd immunity for this virus.

This seems unlikely in 2020.

'Vaccine' approval to coincide with the global rollout of 5G

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Its a difficult situation. I have a 489 visa and was due to fly 5th May but not looking likely now. I have until Feb 2021 to arrive in the country. Really worried that were not going to be able to make it and will then be too old to apply for another visa and will have lost the £8000 we spent to get it in the first place. Also moved in with my mum with my husband and 5 kids into a 2 bed house. And have sold all our worldly posessions and we are homeless. Very stressful for us right now.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, KSH81 said:

Its a difficult situation. I have a 489 visa and was due to fly 5th May but not looking likely now. I have until Feb 2021 to arrive in the country. Really worried that were not going to be able to make it and will then be too old to apply for another visa and will have lost the £8000 we spent to get it in the first place. Also moved in with my mum with my husband and 5 kids into a 2 bed house. And have sold all our worldly posessions and we are homeless. Very stressful for us right now.

Hang in there!!  Your prepared for the move so your half way there.  You've noy got the hassle of selling your house now which is great, best of luck for the future, who knows how things will be in 6 months. 

We want to sell our home this year if everything starts to get back to normal, we also want to be in Australia by Feb 2021. 

Where in Australia are you moving too?

Stay safe. Xx

• Like 1

Yes we have suspended plans to tput the house on the market.  Even if we can sell this year for a decent price, I am not that confident that quitting my job will be a good plan if the world is in recession.  We will see once restrictions are lifted, but more likely to be next year than this now.  I activated this time last year, Visa has 3 1/2 years to run..

13 hours ago, Lavers said:

Tricky times Jon I am just trying to forget about things for now, then see what state everything is at the end.

What profession is it that your in?

I am a finance director.  Not too many roles at my level at the best of times, but more challenging in recession certainly.

On 28/03/2020 at 01:40, Aussiebird said:

Hi all,

Has anyone,  who is planning on moving to Australia and had visas granted, wondering if the Coronavirus will have a huge impact on selling homes in UK and if itwill affect finding work in Australia?

Will it have a long term affect globally and cause a recession and an increase in tax payers having to pay back the money the government is dishing out sothat people can survive this awful crisis?

So many questions now over all of our futures!!

Yep, all of that I reckon. If you can get in to Aus though and get a job I would still do it.

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Yep, all of that I reckon. If you can get in to Aus though and get a job I would still do it.

I second that. Also remember that there are a few economists who believe that this isn't a recession, but the biggest depression in modern history. When the Oz housing market crashes, it will more than make up for avoiding the 2008 GFC. Therefore, if you are sitting in cash, you are better prepared to scoop up your dream Oz property when the opportunity comes. £1 = $2 today, whereas when we moved in 2017, it was £1 = $1.62. The Oz  greenback is rumoured to fall even more.

Food for thought...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

I second that. Also remember that there are a few economists who believe that this isn't a recession, but the biggest depression in modern history. When the Oz housing market crashes, it will more than make up for avoiding the 2008 GFC. Therefore, if you are sitting in cash, you are better prepared to scoop up your dream Oz property when the opportunity comes. £1 = $2 today, whereas when we moved in 2017, it was £1 = $1.62. The Oz  greenback is rumoured to fall even more.

Food for thought...

Just waiting to transfer my cash...a little to far to predict but they are forecasting $2.4 for end of summer.

• Thanks 1

On 03/04/2020 at 21:38, Lavers said:

Just waiting to transfer my cash...a little to far to predict but they are forecasting $2.4 for end of summer.

"They" have been known to get things wrong before. Your and my guess would be as good as theirs. 

I think the Aus economy stands a better chance than most of rebounding. The ore, oil, coal and all the other minerals and metals that Aus makes money on isn't going anywhere. Once this has washed through there'll be a pent up demand for everything as all countries try and kick start their economies. The Aus dollar could strengthen. 

I think the oil, gas and mining companies must be struggling to get people to do their FIFO shifts. My son is a sparkie, registered with a Perth company for rig work. He lives in Newcastle over East at the moment so has to pay for his flight to Perth. The money is so good though it's still worth it in normal times. He is lucky to have a job in Newcastle too for a company doing electrical work for mines there. Not FIFO, just local, so the money isn't so good.

He got a letter from the Perth company last week offering 4 on, 2 isolation, 2 R&R. They'll pay 12 hour days for the 2 weeks isolation too and a $3,000 "bonus" per swing, for what they are calling expenses. I don't think he's going to take it though as the interstate travel would mean even more isolation. He'd hardly see his girlfriend so unless they move to Perth for a bit it's still not worth it.

8 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

"They" have been known to get things wrong before. Your and my guess would be as good as theirs. 

I think the Aus economy stands a better chance than most of rebounding. The ore, oil, coal and all the other minerals and metals that Aus makes money on isn't going anywhere. Once this has washed through there'll be a pent up demand for everything as all countries try and kick start their economies. The Aus dollar could strengthen. 

I think the oil, gas and mining companies must be struggling to get people to do their FIFO shifts. My son is a sparkie, registered with a Perth company for rig work. He lives in Newcastle over East at the moment so has to pay for his flight to Perth. The money is so good though it's still worth it in normal times. He is lucky to have a job in Newcastle too for a company doing electrical work for mines there. Not FIFO, just local, so the money isn't so good.

He got a letter from the Perth company last week offering 4 on, 2 isolation, 2 R&R. They'll pay 12 hour days for the 2 weeks isolation too and a $3,000 "bonus" per swing, for what they are calling expenses. I don't think he's going to take it though as the interstate travel would mean even more isolation. He'd hardly see his girlfriend so unless they move to Perth for a bit it's still not worth it.

That's right Paul and like you say nobody really knows what is going to happen, personally I would have thought that Australia would be in a better position than most when all this ends as they seem to be handling things fairly well regarding cases and deaths etc.

Not a bad option for your son too make a good lump sum of cash though.

Regarding the exchange rate though I don't see it going to $2.4 but it would be nice 🙏

We are all in for a very rough ride.  We have pushed the reset button on the global economy with this crisis and it will take a very long time to reboot.
For the next few months though the priority must be the public health crisis.  2020 will be a write-off so it would be a brave or foolhardy person who pushed ahead with emigration planning this year because it just isn’t going to happen.  International mobility will not return for a long time.

Our visa runs out in December, we were granted a 190 and was planning September before it all kicked of. It is a worry going there without a job but if we did secure and could fly I would definitely go.
Maybe they will extend as this has cost us thousands of ponds and two years to get our visas.

18 minutes ago, Dorsetbrit said:

I own a landscaping company and my wife’s a finance director for a charity, our 190 is for NSW.

Was the plan for you both to look for work when you arrive or will you have something in place for when you arrive?