You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

starlight7

Positive things about now

I’ve been on several cruise ships including the Diamond Princess and the Ruby Princess and they are fun. You have a good time, forget your day to day life, meet lots of different people from different countries and eat fantastic food. I won’t be going on them again any time soon, however and I am sure most people would feel the same. They are huge, about the size of a large shopping mall or even bigger sometimes. The cabins are nice, too - we always got a balcony though because if you feel seasick at least you have fresh air and you can have a private meal outside if you feel like it. Neither of us or the friends we have been with have ever got ill during our cruises. Guess we are lucky but we are always careful with the hand sanitizers etc and we avoided the big general eating place at the top of the ship as much as possible ( they call it ‘horizon’ but we re- christened it ‘ horror  zone’ )

• Like 2

On 27/03/2020 at 08:52, starlight7 said:

This virus is terrible but there are one or two positives if you don't actually catch it

1.  It brings families closer

2. It makes you calm down and stop rushing around from one event to another.

3. The house looks tidier

4. Lots of home cooking, soups etc

5. The garden looks better

6. You don't have to bother with fancy clothes, makeup etc.

7. You go back to making things, crafts, reading etc

I know there are plenty of really bad negatives but even the politicians seem more united over this. Except Donald of course and we are all seeing the results of how he is handling things.

Nature can do without the human race .

Dolphins are swimming the canals of venice .

Life would go on without us 

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

4 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Nature can do without the human race .

Dolphins are swimming the canals of venice .

Life would go on without us 

The dolphin thing is fake news, apparently, which I was disappointed about. 

The canals are looking lovely and clear because all the silt has fallen to the bottom (no boats to churn it up) and the swans and cormorants and back, though.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

On 27/03/2020 at 08:52, starlight7 said:

This virus is terrible but there are one or two positives if you don't actually catch it

1.  It brings families closer

2. It makes you calm down and stop rushing around from one event to another.

3. The house looks tidier

4. Lots of home cooking, soups etc

5. The garden looks better

6. You don't have to bother with fancy clothes, makeup etc.

7. You go back to making things, crafts, reading etc

I know there are plenty of really bad negatives but even the politicians seem more united over this. Except Donald of course and we are all seeing the results of how he is handling things.

Not too sure about number 1. Divorce lawyers are anticipating lots of divorces following the corona virus! I guess being cooped up with someone will either be lovely or horrendous 😊

• Like 2

I am sure there will be a post viral baby boom too. Will we call them the virus boomers ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

I am sure there will be a post viral baby boom too. Will we call them the virus boomers ?

Maybe they will just refer to their parents as the hand washers.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Not too sure about number 1. Divorce lawyers are anticipating lots of divorces following the corona virus! I guess being cooped up with someone will either be lovely or horrendous 😊

Iam  quite enjoying it , to be honest .

We are pretty close as a family 

My youngest is working from home - so lucky , in landing a great job / career  - just before this lot happened .

My wife , and myself are pretty low maintenance , and generally , get on 

No major bust ups yet - fingers crossed 

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

10 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I’ve been on several cruise ships including the Diamond Princess and the Ruby Princess and they are fun. You have a good time, forget your day to day life, meet lots of different people from different countries and eat fantastic food. I won’t be going on them again any time soon, however and I am sure most people would feel the same. They are huge, about the size of a large shopping mall or even bigger sometimes. The cabins are nice, too - we always got a balcony though because if you feel seasick at least you have fresh air and you can have a private meal outside if you feel like it. Neither of us or the friends we have been with have ever got ill during our cruises. Guess we are lucky but we are always careful with the hand sanitizers etc and we avoided the big general eating place at the top of the ship as much as possible ( they call it ‘horizon’ but we re- christened it ‘ horror  zone’ )

We have friends who cruised regularly and had a ball.  They were always on at us to join them but neither of us were keen on the idea.  If I won the lottery I would consider a first class suite on the new Queen Mary to the UK and back.  😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

We've just been for a  12 mile bike ride.  Didn't see anybody else - mind you we were out at the crack of dawn.

I'm glad I've got my lady cave where I can retreat to if we get fed up of each other.  😁

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Toots said:

We've just been for a  12 mile bike ride.  Didn't see anybody else - mind you we were out at the crack of dawn.

I'm glad I've got my lady cave where I can retreat to if we get fed up of each other.  😁

Who gets to go inside your lady cave ?

I want it all, and I want it now.

China will have to get rid of wet food and live animal markets, a girl of 5 in xingtai asked her mom one morning why the sky was blue, she had only seen smog all her short life, pollution kills millions every year, this will reduce dramatically, children are learning personal hygiene hopefully will last their lifetime. The planet is taking a deep breath.

• Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Positives?   Well I am slowly working that never ending list of chores, like tidying cupboards and drawers, attacking the mending pile on my sewing desk, getting back into cardmaking and scrapbooking, pottering in my garden and trying to win the battle for vegies with the bloody rats that live in my neighbours cocus palms!   

• Like 2

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

My partners dad is on immunotherapy for stage 4 throat cancer, spread to his lungs. It's been an almost 2 year battle so far. His latest scan shows that the tumours have all disappeared!! Unfortunately it's systemic so they will return, but super happy for my partner and his family, the longer its kept at bay the more years they all have together. 

• Like 4

Grandad says this is how it was decades ago, people looking out for each other, making sure older people are ok and doing their shopping if needed, people seem to be not so selfish in this crisis and actually taking the time to smile at their neighbors and actually be kind. Less traffic on the roads and just so more peacefull

• Like 5

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Started adding the vaunted CEN Oil to our horses feed, and he’s looking better already.  The wet ground isn’t doing much for his feet though, we’re struggling to fix separation in his rears.  

• Like 1

Bought a block of English Wookey Hole Cave Aged Farmhouse Cheddar at Costco, to snack on during isolation.  If you see it buy it!

I’m nervous of going to Costco- was it crowded ? We used to go every week until this.

6 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I’m nervous of going to Costco- was it crowded ? We used to go every week until this.

No it was great.  

• Like 1

On 28/03/2020 at 07:02, Marisawright said:

Fewer planes in the air, fewer cars on the road = a huge reduction in pollution, so much that you can see the difference from satellites.  Saving a lot of fossil fuels too.   

We're saving a bucketload of money.  We're retired and would usually be out every day for walks or outings.  Those don't usually cost anything - but having lunch or afternoon tea at a café every day soon mounts up.   Plus the cost of public transport there and back.  Probably saving us $30 or $40 a day.

Now we've discovered the Remington Rapid Cut clipper, my husband says he'll never go to the barber again, so that's another saving that will last for the long term.

90134347_10157718772330041_4293974935216324608_n.jpg

I thought you would get free public transport. Having the seniors card in WA has been a real bonus, free public transport, cheaper golf, cheaper beer and food in some places.

I know what you mean though. I'm usually down the beach early, ski paddle, swim or something with a load of friends then coffee and sort the world out for an hour or so in a beachside coffee shop. Sometimes cake and 2 cups. 

Now we can only go in 2's, only one take away cafe open, stand a couple of metres from each other, so ñot stopping for coffee and chatting now. Not popping out for lunch, if I could stop the missus shopping online we could save a fortune.

Went for an excellent bike ride yesterday, see so much more on a bike and went along the Coast further North. Unbelievable development and some fantastic properties in great locations. Even living here you don't realise how many new and nice beachside suburbs there are. Some of the beaches have just been opened up, previously there were no roads to them, so hardly used. Now there's miles and miles of new development i didn't know existed. A really nice ride too with good roads running by the beach for km's. Not much traffic around, good times for bike riding.

• Like 1

On 29/03/2020 at 05:25, starlight7 said:

That and the divorce courts will be busy.😉

On 29/03/2020 at 06:46, ssiri said:

Cake

Making or just eating?😉

On 28/03/2020 at 19:50, starlight7 said:

Only been on one "cruise". It was really cheap, surprised how nice the room with balcony, food and everything on board was. We paid a bit extra to have entry to the spa place. Ate and drank far more than we usually do and I spent lots of time in the gym and spa. Unfortunately it was very rough with a big swell the whole time. My wife didn't feel too good but there were people who were a lot worse. If it wasn't for the gym though I would have been really bored. The pools aren't big enough for a proper swim and it was so rough they got closed. There's only so much food and drink you can stomach.

Don't think we'll be going on any more.

Posted (edited)
On 29/03/2020 at 09:45, Toots said:

.  If I won the lottery I would consider a first class suite on the new Queen Mary to the UK and back.  😉

I think my oh would consider that, but only because he hates flying. 

We've been on two cruises, but both of them were in Europe (one Mediterranean, one Baltic).   Each day, the ship docked at a new port. We would get up early, have a good breakfast, then off to sightsee in a new city.  Back on the ship by 5 or 6pm, time for a nap or a swim or a sundowner, then shower and get dressed up for a sumptuous dinner, followed by an excellent show, and then end the evening dancing or listening to music in the bar.   Fall into bed, wake up the next morning in a brand new port. 

I think they had movies and other activities on board but we weren't on board enough during the day to need them.  Never lay on a sun lounger either. 

I can't imagine going on a cruise where the ship spent more than a couple of days at sea between port visits. I think I'd get bored

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

I thought you would get free public transport.

In NSW and Victoria it's cheap public transport, not free.  It's $2+ per trip, with a maximum charge per day of (I think) $4.80.  But both of us go out most days, so it mounts up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Only been on one "cruise". It was really cheap, surprised how nice the room with balcony, food and everything on board was. We paid a bit extra to have entry to the spa place. Ate and drank far more than we usually do and I spent lots of time in the gym and spa. Unfortunately it was very rough with a big swell the whole time. My wife didn't feel too good but there were people who were a lot worse. If it wasn't for the gym though I would have been really bored. The pools aren't big enough for a proper swim and it was so rough they got closed. There's only so much food and drink you can stomach.

Don't think we'll be going on any more.

Never done a cruise and have never wanted to.  My wife has been on at me about trying one as she has never done one.

After this she has said she is happy to forgo the experience - much to my relief.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.