IELTS

35 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Have a look online at some practice questions so at least you know what your dealing with.

Also in the speaking part make sure that you go over the top with your answers as if you dont day much they will mark you down.

Thanks Lavers.

Do you know if there is anywhere I can get practise questions?

Thanks

Al

34 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Also be aware that it's going to be months before you can take it as all IELTS testing is on pause due to CV19

Hi Ausvisitor

That's not an issue. I just want to make sure I have understand what's needed of me when everything is all up and running again. I will have a look to see if there is anywhere I can get some practise questions from to make sure I am up to speed.

Cheers

Al

I think theres some on the IELTS website Alan, if not just google it I managed to find a few.

Listening is just a tape recording which you listen to, it doesnt stop so you need to keep up with it. You just find the answers from listening.

Reading you have questions to answer regarding what is wrote in front of you.

Writing is probably the hardest as it depends what question they ask you on the day. In my 1st exam it was about ways to restrict speeds in a car, the 2nd exam was why reading fantasy books with kids wasnt good and you should only read educational things with them.

Speaking the examiner will ask you questions on things so just make sure that you go over the top with the answers, then they ask you a question about something and you have to speak about it for a minute. Sounds easy but the time can play on your mind. 

2 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

If you aren't set on a specific test also have a look at PTE tests. Many people think these are easier to get over the superior threshold with.

I think ultimately they are both as hard/easy as each other - it's just a personal learning style thing

Perfect. Thanks for the advice. I only know about IELTS as that's what was on the points calculator for the visa.

Regards

Al

• 4 weeks later...

My advice with IELTS is don't do it, because PTE is easier, at least for me it was! I failed IELTS once, switched to PTE and immediately passed with flying colours, straight 90's! Whereas, I scored poorly in the writing module on my IELTS exam. Do make sure to study, as many credentialed individuals have failed both exams due to their lack of preparation. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Domo said:

My advice with IELTS is don't do it, because PTE is easier, at least for me it was! I failed IELTS once, switched to PTE and immediately passed with flying colours, straight 90's! Whereas, I scored poorly in the writing module on my IELTS exam. Do make sure to study, as many credentialed individuals have failed both exams due to their lack of preparation. 

This is a very good piece of advice. You would assume that being from an English speaking country and using the language every day that you would pass easily, but the truth is liek any test it isn't really examining your ability to "get by and be understood" in the country, it is testing how well you command the things they consider important in the language.

So things like correct use of apostophes, sentence construction. grammar, semi-colon usage are all assessed. Equally essay formation is a key element so you should try and do some practice essays. Think of it more like your English O-Level or GCSE - it isn't testing if you can use English in your everyday life, it's testing your educational grasp of the language (this is why foreign students tend to do well in it as they've been taught English as an academic subject rather than by natural language acquisition that you would see in a native speaker)

Ill put my 2p in - for what its worth!

I'm quite scouse and I worried about the speaking part of ILETS with another real human listening, and after doing some research, decided to do PTE academic, I'm from the computer generation and a technology geek, so I like the idea of the whole test being marked by software, I had read that the test algorithm is very tolerant of different accents.

A huge advantage for me, is that you can pay the PTE people for 2 practice tests which are cheap, are conducted in the same manner, and marked using the same algorithms as the real test from home. These gave me huge pointers on what my current level was and where to improve (for myself, I scored maximum points in all the core categories, only dropping some points on spelling) 

As its an algorithm driven marking system, and the questions follow a strict structure, it's possible to practice and plan for each type of question. I had a little outline structure planned for each speaking part, for each type of question.

I did it relatively recently late last year, so if you want to ask any specific questions, please let me know.

Hi #excitedbutterrified

Thank you for your reply, definitely worth putting your 2p in.

There is nothing wrong with the scouse accent but I understand what you mean. I have worked in Liverpool for some time and as a Wigan man I also have trouble with people understanding what I am saying.

I have now had a few people say the PTE is better and to a point easier. Will doing a PTE be the same as an IELTS when it comes to applying for a Visa?

Kind regards

Alan H

I have no idea if PTE is actually any easier, but after reading about the options I felt like it suited my learning style better.

I will say I think it's possible do some very specific targeted preparation for PTE as the questions (and hence answers) are so formulaic and predictable. You still have to use your english skills to answer them, but there aren't any curveballs or trick questions!  Some people say you can manipulate the scoring algorithm, but honestly after doing the practice tests, I didn't see the point in trying.

When it comes to the visa, they are all worth the same, although they have different grading systems and different requirements to get "superior" or whatever level you need. At the end of the day, it gets translated into 10, 5 or whatever points - there is no prestige in choosing one test over another. 

The only real downside with PTE (according to me!) is that it's done in a room full of people sat at computers, all doing the same test, talking loudly into their headsets. This could easily be really distracting. I guess most people can zone that out, but it was quite off-putting at the start.   I did mine in Manchester and had 4 / others doing it at the same time.

Good luck!

Looking to Move. However actually making that happen is proving difficult, as the points needed to get an invite for skilled migration have gone up, and i've not had an invitation after 6 invitation rounds. We were naive in thinking that as we are both experienced professional people (me an engineer, and her a hospital doctor), we wouldn't have too many troubles, but that isn't the case!

We have lived in Australia before, but always on temporary work visas and we didn't make the commitment as we knew we were not staying forever on those occasions.

We may have to look at doing the same again, moving on a temporary work visa (after finding jobs of course!) and using the Temporary Residence Transition stream of the 186 visa.

That is what I am looking to do. I wanted to look at moving a couple of years ago but I didn't realise at the time how difficult it is. Myself and my wife are retail managers and though we have both been in those positions for around 18 years this isn't what Australia are looking for. We understand that we will have to look at a employer willing to sponsor but that is also very tricky. we are quite easy where we move to but I would like to move around the Grafton area.

Good luck!

6 hours ago, Alan DJ Hardy said:

That is what I am looking to do. I wanted to look at moving a couple of years ago but I didn't realise at the time how difficult it is. Myself and my wife are retail managers and though we have both been in those positions for around 18 years this isn't what Australia are looking for. We understand that we will have to look at a employer willing to sponsor but that is also very tricky. ...

What visa would you apply for?   Employers can't sponsor just anyone, your occupation still needs to be on one of the skilled lists.  And if it's only on the short-term list (STSOL), then you might be able to get a short contract or two in Australia but you'd never be able to settle permanently.