Ruby Princess passengers disembarking was horrible misconduct

Bret

1 hour ago, Bret said:

A few thousands passengers who went to anywhere freely contributed quite a lot of the Coronavirus cases in NSW. The lazy and stupid officials who approved this should be charged! How do yo think about it? mate.

Yep they messed up. We have at least 3 cruise ships moored off Freo who've been refused entry to other ports. The government are saying they won't be able to come in to Freo and Rottnest Island has been set aside for CV cases who really need it.

4 hours ago, Bret said:

A few thousands passengers who went to anywhere freely contributed quite a lot of the Coronavirus cases in NSW. The lazy and stupid officials who approved this should be charged! 

Yes, they made a mess of the procedure but people do make mistakes, you know.  Especially in a brand new situation like this.  Charging the officials won't achieve anything, and authorities have far more important things to do than waste time on silly blame games. 

I wrote to my MP about them doing the same with airport arrivals and within 24 hours they have decided to isolate them in hotels. About time too. I feel sorry for the cruise ship passengers but they really need to be monitored and to just let them disembark without isolation is not on.

• Like 1

I agree that the blame game does not help, but there are lessons to be learned here. There was skullduggery going on when that ship berthed.

It seems according to number of reports in the media including testaments from the passengers, now coming to light, that the Captain clearly wanted to dump his passengers at the nearest major port and then put to sea again as soon as possible. NSW health officials boarded the ship at the Overseas Passnger Terminal in Sydney and consulted the ship's doctor and other medical staff in relation to their being anyone on board exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19. Apparently the ship's doctor indicated that he had tested (swabbed) many of the staff and passengers but found only a few passengers with flu. NSW Health officials also examined some of the people on board, detecting three cases of COVID-19 within a passenger complement of 2700 passengers. It was decided that the passengers would dismbark and then go into isolation. Many did not of course, as we know.

Although each Australian State is able to manage shipping issues in their ports, ultimately in the case of the Ruby Princess, this was a border issue. There was no border force or customs officers at the terminal as disemarking passenegers leaving the ship indicated that they were not required to show passports. Nobody challenged them. NSW Health does not check for the validity or otherwise of a person's passport and it has no power to direct people to stay in place. Where was the Border Force?.

It seems now probable that the Captain and the ship's doctor knew very well that there were significant COVID-19 cases on board, and so the ship turned back for Sydney, mid-cruise. This suggests that the Captain by his actions was keen to dump the problem back in Sydney and to put to sea ASAP in order that the ship would not be quarantined in port. It was the Captain who directed the passengers to disembark, not NSW Health..

Hindsight, is always 20/20 vision.

Edited by Dusty Plains

I think Mark McGowan, WA Premier, has dealt with the  cruise ship issue in Fremantle very well so far.   They have all gone now and all Australian and NZ passengers are in quarantine, either in WA or their state and country.   Those found positive from Covid19 are in hospital in Perth, and the ships and other passengers and crews have all left WA waters.   I just hope that Fremantle doesn't now become the target for all those other cruise ships who are being refused ports all over the world.

Guessing that the cruise industry has died a death now.   Never understood why anyone would want to spend days, weeks, or months on a boat with thousands of others they do not know, and have organised entertainment.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, starlight7 said:

No Captain or anyone else can allow people to enter a country- that is up to the border control of that particular country. Let's face it, we were slack and now we are paying the penalty.

Actually it was NSW Health 

• Like 1

Now this Ruby Princess even wants to disembark their 1000 staff once more in Australia even though many of them are sickened by Coronavirus. They should realized they "cheated" Australia when they disembarked the passengers about 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

I think Mark McGowan, WA Premier, has dealt with the  cruise ship issue in Fremantle very well so far.   They have all gone now and all Australian and NZ passengers are in quarantine, either in WA or their state and country.   Those found positive from Covid19 are in hospital in Perth, and the ships and other passengers and crews have all left WA waters.   I just hope that Fremantle doesn't now become the target for all those other cruise ships who are being refused ports all over the world.

Guessing that the cruise industry has died a death now.   Never understood why anyone would want to spend days, weeks, or months on a boat with thousands of others they do not know, and have organised entertainment.  

A few Tassies who have been conifirmed with Covid-19 disembarked from the cruise ship Sun Princess in Sydney.  All those people are in quarantine.  A couple of other people who arrived back in Tassie had also been on cruises and were confirmed with Covid-19.  Enough to put you off cruising for the rest of your life and as you say Rossmoyne I can't imagine being cooped up in what looks like a glorified floating shopping centre with thousands of people I don't know.  😖

• Like 1

Well some of my information in a previous post has emerged as being from an unqualified source, namely one of the passengers on board.  However the fact remains that when the Ruby Princess docked in Sydney, carrying 3796 passengers and crew, there was already COVID-19 on board even though the ships doctor could not detect any cases.  

The scneario now is that, had NSW Health given the advice for passengers and crew to remain on board and not to disembark, it is likely, on the basis that COVID-19 is known to spread more easily aboard passenger ships than in the general community, would we now be seeing efforts to provide health support to potentially thousands of passengers and crew stuck on board a ship in Sydney Harbour?

I don't believe it was a stuff up. The call had to be made either way. 

Now, what to do with the people aboard other ships just off the coast of NSW.

Edited by Dusty Plains

Guest The Pom Queen

Two of our members were involved in one of the other cruise ship COVID-19 positive cases. Their ship set sail from Sydney but after 6 days at sea things escalated at home and the ship was advised to turn back. Now unbeknown to everyone at the time their was a Canadian tourist on board who had a slight sore throat he sat with our members most nights and mixed amongst the other guests. He saw the ships Dr who said he had a cold and that was that. I can’t remember exact dates/days but let’s say the ship arrived back in to Darling Harbour on Sunday, they then caught a busy public train and a flight to their state. Once home they went in to town did shopping etc. On the Wednesday they received a phone call to say that someone on their cruise had tested positive and they must self isolate for 14 days. They can’t test because they weren’t showing symptoms. 
‘Anyway the great news the 14 days was up and they are both absolutely fine, but imagine if they hadn’t been. All the people they would have been in contact with.  What about the Canadian? He must have visited a large number of tourist places.

19 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Well some of my information in a previous post has emerged as being from an unqualified source, namely one of the passengers on board.  However the fact remains that when the Ruby Princess docked in Sydney, carrying 3796 passengers and crew, there was already COVID-19 on board even though the ships doctor could not detect any cases.  

The scneario now is that, had NSW Health given the advice for passengers and crew to remain on board and not to disembark, it is likely, on the basis that COVID-19 is known to spread more easily aboard passenger ships than in the general community, would we now be seeing efforts to provide health support to potentially thousands of passengers and crew stuck on board a ship in Sydney Harbour?

I don't believe it was a stuff up. The call had to be made either way. 

Now, what to do with the people aboard other ships just off the coast of NSW.

At least, these passengers should be quarantined rather than went to anywhere freely which lead to more infections,.Till 4th Apr. 10% of the cases in Australia links to Ruby princess. Numbers could tell.