and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Haylee246

482 medium skills shortage - covid19 help

Hi all,

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Myself and my partner are on a 482 medium skills shortage visa for 4 years. My question is does anyone have any idea if we will receive any government support if we are laid off from our jobs? The usual stance is that we are not eligible for centrelink support but I can’t find any information on if there are any changes to this due to the Coronavirus situation. 

Thank you 

As far as I am aware, nothing has changed in this. But it is a fast moving set of circumstances 

There is an article the Australian suggesting this may be a possibility ... but I have yet to see anything formal at this point. 

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. 

I'm investigation whether laid off sponsored staff will be able to access some of their Superannuation like Australians who have lost their jobs. It appears they may meet the latest requirements. See here for the Government fact sheet.

Early release of superannuation

The Government will allow individuals in financial stress as a result of the Coronavirus to access up to $10,000 of their superannuation in 2019-20 and a further $10,000 in 2020-21.

Eligible individuals will be able to apply online through myGov for access of up to $10,000 of their superannuation before 1 July 2020. They will also be able to access up to a further $10,000 from 1 July 2020 for another three months. They will not need to pay tax on amounts released and the money they withdraw will not affect Centrelink or Veterans’ Affairs payments.

Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."