British visitors during corona virus

WelshBen

Hi all - I'm looking for a bit of advice.

We are Australian citizens, and currently have my in-laws staying with us on holiday. They were due to return in around 2 weeks but obviously the corona virus is causing mayhem throughout the world. They would like to stay with us during the outbreak as they are very concerned about travelling (my father in-law has had lots of health issues in the past). We are very happy for them to stay and are a huge help looking after the kids whilst we work from home. 

Are there any implications of them staying? Would they need to apply for a visa of some sort? If they have to travel back, it obviously needs to be imminent.

Any advice would be appreciated.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

In that case, the first thing you need to do is check the exact conditions on the visa.  They can stay as long as the visa allows them to, obviously.   

Also worth taking into account that the UK Foreign Secretary issued a very forceful call yesterday that all UK citizens overseas should return as soon as physically possible.

This basically means the UK Government is saying it's your choice if you choose to stay away from the UK, but if you choose not to heed our warning we won't be breaking our backs to help repatriate you if required.

I would think very carefully about where you would want them to be in a months time when they are no longer covered by the medicare agreement for treatment of a British person because their visitor visa has expired. The safest thing to do here is to return home...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Also worth taking into account that the UK Foreign Secretary issued a very forceful call yesterday that all UK citizens overseas should return as soon as physically possible.

This basically means the UK Government is saying it's your choice if you choose to stay away from the UK, but if you choose not to heed our warning we won't be breaking our backs to help repatriate you if required.

I would think very carefully about where you would want them to be in a months time when they are no longer covered by the medicare agreement for treatment of a British person because their visitor visa has expired. The safest thing to do here is to return home...

It may be tricky/almost impossible for them to get home even if they wanted to, given airlines grounding their fleets and borders closing. If the whole family is self isolating and staying home (Which it sounds like they are), it may be safer to stay put.

Very tough call, I'd personally be worried about any family members with health issues flying anywhere at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

It may be tricky/almost impossible for them to get home even if they wanted to, given airlines grounding their fleets and borders closing. If the whole family is self isolating and staying home (Which it sounds like they are), it may be safer to stay put.

Very tough call, I'd personally be worried about any family members with health issues flying anywhere at the moment. 

Personally I agree, but the edict has gone out and the Foreign Sec has said come home.

They should at least look into options so if it isn't possible they can at least have evidence that they tried

• Like 1

I would say they need to be confident that they have a great many months left on their current visa and secondly, they are prepared to stay away from home for many months.  The UK government has made it clear that all citizens should return home ASAP. One of the agents on here posted only a few days ago that he had arrived back in the UK that very day. He said that the flight was half empty so it’s certainly not been impossible to get a flight back.  I understand if one of them has had health issues in the past but assume they were confident to fly anyway. The virus is in both countries so being in Oz isn’t going to take their worry away and being on a flight was going to happen anyway.  It would be a great shame if they ended up overstaying their visa, it could have bad consequences and I think it would be difficult to say there was no option to get home when there was.  The bottom line is if they stay they are taking a risk as it’s not possible to say how long this will go on for.  They need to be sure they have an alternative visa that they can get prior to expiry of their current one.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

I would say they need to be confident that they have a great many months left on their current visa and secondly, they are prepared to stay away from home for many months.  The UK government has made it clear that all citizens should return home ASAP. One of the agents on here posted only a few days ago that he had arrived back in the UK that very day. He said that the flight was half empty so it’s certainly not been impossible to get a flight back.  I understand if one of them has had health issues in the past but assume they were confident to fly anyway. The virus is in both countries so being in Oz isn’t going to take their worry away and being on a flight was going to happen anyway.  It would be a great shame if they ended up overstaying their visa, it could have bad consequences and I think it would be difficult to say there was no option to get home when there was.  The bottom line is if they stay they are taking a risk as it’s not possible to say how long this will go on for.  They need to be sure they have an alternative visa that they can get prior to expiry of their current one.  

This sums it up well.

I could not blame them for preferring to stay put and ride this out.

Airports and airplanes are likely to be quite empty so less risky than normal but their basic stocked provisions are likely to be limited and shopping to restock problematic particularly as they will be on a strict quarantine on return.

Much also depends on the type of home in the UK that they live in I imagine too, what part of the country, and whether they have a support network near them on arrival.

• Like 1

If they’re on a 12 month visa and they’ve only used 4 weeks I would be checking where they stand with the reciprocal medical agreement. If that is ongoing I don’t see any good reason why they need to wave. 
Yes the foreign office has said return but that’s a blanket statement and it’s not like we’re living in Sierra Leone with militias attacking hospitals. 
If my parents wanted to stay, the visa was good and they were covered medically there’s not a chance I would be making them go home, reading between the lines I think it’s going to get very nasty in the UK very soon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danny842003 said:

If they’re on a 12 month visa and they’ve only used 4 weeks I would be checking where they stand with the reciprocal medical agreement. If that is ongoing I don’t see any good reason why they need to wave. 
Yes the foreign office has said return but that’s a blanket statement and it’s not like we’re living in Sierra Leone with militias attacking hospitals. 
If my parents wanted to stay, the visa was good and they were covered medically there’s not a chance I would be making them go home, reading between the lines I think it’s going to get very nasty in the UK very soon. 

Lets face it, if they get sick and have to go to hospital they will get treated. They won't be asking about the state of their visa and send them away.

I would be keeping them here, at least for a couple of weeks. We will have a much better feeling for how things are going then. May still be better to stay here after that.

• Like 1

Hi, I’m the opposite but identical scenario in that I’m  the old fella over from UK staying with daughter and family on 651 visa, so good for three months, been here for 3 weeks. Flight home is today with and via Singapore, which is shut for all including transit... SIA are clearly swamped with calls so can’t get any news as to when/if..

my plan is to sit tight and see what occurs, rather be here with family than stuck in transit. I do advise they “register” with

Canberra.ConsularOffice@fco.gov.uk 

full passport name; passport number; DOB and Aus state currently for official updates. (It’s my first post, please be kind 🤓)

• Like 2

My mum is in the same position - on an e-visitor 651 - valid for 12 months but has the condition that she can only stay a max of 3 months per stay. Let me assure you it is not easy to get a flight out of here right now.

We were both due to return to the UK on Friday (I'm on a 489 so have since decided to stay and unintentionally move here early so I don't have problems returning). The original flight was cancelled, not had any contact from the travel agent, and the airline is just telling us to talk to the travel agent. Airlines have pretty much shut down service to Adelaide so cannot get a flight abck from here. There is an option to go to Melbourne or Sydney for an international flight from there, but many of the flights are extremely expensive (think $10 - $14k for a single one way ticket!). Some cheaper in a few weeks' time yet if we book that, it's likely those will cancel again and we will be even worse off waiting for airlines to refund... Also concerned that airlines like Singapore were still advertising tickets when they've banned transit passengers... same as Etihad with Abu Dhabi... so my mum (who's a nervous flyer anyway) is concerned that she could end up stranded in the transit country.

We went to the airport yesterday to try to get some advice about the flights - we were advised its best to hold on here because of the dicey situation with the transit lockdowns. Been on the phone to Border Force and Immigration - they won't waive the 3 month stay condition, so it may be the case of applying onshore for a 12 month visitor visa or try to get some assistance with the flight situation. Been in touch with the local MP for an update on what is happening to help people held here to get home, they're currently working on finding a workable solution.

On 24/03/2020 at 17:33, Ausvisitor said:

All well and good but try getting a flight back to the UK 

34 minutes ago, shaunfreo said:

All well and good but try getting a flight back to the UK 

No one is saying it will be easy (or even possible) but I'd certainly be trying.

Whilst it's currently unthinkable that someone presenting at a hospital with symptoms wouldn't be treated, roll this forward 2 months and things haven't improvement and health services are on their knees, then we are going to start hearing the anti-immigration people (in every country) saying that we shouldn't be treating aliens, and the governments should only be looking after proper (insert country) people.

I would place a bet that Australia is a better place to be than the UK in the next few months.  It is going to ramp up very very quickly here.

I would think the requirement to leave after 3 months will be waived - the rules are going to have to change for people who get stuck.

The Foreign office advice is nothing to do with caring for your in laws, and everything to do with not having to repatriate people later on.

• Like 1

Not sure if you know but Qantas is refuelling it’s Sydney to London flights in Darwin now instead of Singapore. Flying with Qantas would remove the chance of your parents getting stuck in a transit country if they decide going home is the best option. I just flew long haul with Qantas getting back to Oz when borders started closing etc and they were wonderfully helpful. They didn’t even charge us to change our non flexible fares. Good luck whatever you decide. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I would place a bet that Australia is a better place to be than the UK in the next few months.  It is going to ramp up very very quickly here.

I'm not sure I agree, the UK has 8000 confirmed cases, Australia 2,500 but the population disparities make it that they are roughly the same statistically

Both countries acknowledge that they have many more unconfirmed cases than the offical numbers

I suspect it's goign to bad wherever you are, it's going to ramp up quickly everywhere

I don't think anywhere is safer than another (on a country level) - what is safer is if you live in a community that is abiding by the advice and personally you take every precaution you can

8 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

No one is saying it will be easy (or even possible) but I'd certainly be trying.

Whilst it's currently unthinkable that someone presenting at a hospital with symptoms wouldn't be treated, roll this forward 2 months and things haven't improvement and health services are on their knees, then we are going to start hearing the anti-immigration people (in every country) saying that we shouldn't be treating aliens, and the governments should only be looking after proper (insert country) people.

I don’t think you understand how healthcare works. Drs take their oaths pretty seriously and even if ScoMo decided this would take place Drs would not enforce it. 

5 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

I'm not sure I agree, the UK has 8000 confirmed cases, Australia 2,500 but the population disparities make it that they are roughly the same statistically

Both countries acknowledge that they have many more unconfirmed cases than the offical numbers

I suspect it's goign to bad wherever you are, it's going to ramp up quickly everywhere

I don't think anywhere is safer than another (on a country level) - what is safer is if you live in a community that is abiding by the advice and personally you take every precaution you can

You’re looking at the stats in a far too simple way. If you look at the death rate to confirmed cases the UK is at over 5% whilst Australia is at 0.3%. That suggests the UK is massively under testing and that Australia’s figures whilst probably not accurate are much more so than the UKs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danny842003 said:

You’re looking at the stats in a far too simple way. If you look at the death rate to confirmed cases the UK is at over 5% whilst Australia is at 0.3%. That suggests the UK is massively under testing and that Australia’s figures whilst probably not accurate are much more so than the UKs. 

Whilst I don’t disagree with your point the death rate in Australia may be influenced to by the duration.  If the UK spike in cases was even a week earlier than Australia those infected would have progressed further with the disease.

Ideally each and every one of us needs to be tested on a weekly basis over a sustained period in order to be able to get any handle at all on the mortality rate of this virus.  This is unlikely to happen particularly as every country is in crisis management.

6 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Whilst I don’t disagree with your point the death rate in Australia may be influenced to by the duration.  If the UK spike in cases was even a week earlier than Australia those infected would have progressed further with the disease.

Ideally each and every one of us needs to be tested on a weekly basis over a sustained period in order to be able to get any handle at all on the mortality rate of this virus.  This is unlikely to happen particularly as every country is in crisis management.

Again it’s just a simple way of looking at it but ScoMo is claiming Australia is testing to a much higher number per capita than the uk and an insane number higher than the US and the stats seem to back it up, if you look at South Korea where they are known to test test test this is reflected also  

The first recorded case in Australia was on the 25th jan and the uk the 31st, both from abroad rather than domestically spread. 

Edited by Danny842003