register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

The Pom Queen

Day to Day Diary of Coronavirus/Covid-19 2020

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

Each country makes its own rules, there are none like you mention for the whole of Europe. My friend in Italy hasn't been able to go out just for exercise for nearly a month. Needs a police permit even to cross the square and get essential food.   And yes, she is i a small flat, no garden, kids at home. 

That would be tough.

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Just heard on our news that they are stopping people exercising, going out for a run in the daytime iñ Europe. They weren't any more specific than that so I don't know if that's the UK too? Saying people ignoring it are going to be fined. Sounds a bit of a drastic step but if the numbers are still going up and there's a lot of people out, with proved local transmission, then it sounds like a reasonable step. Going to be tough though, especially in a flat or small house with no garden and maybe kids at home.

Good luck everyone.

I think it is France that have introduced the exercise ban no outdoor exercise between 10am and 4pm I think. Will probably happen in the UK before long if things keep getting worse.

In the UK you can go out once a day for exercise. They have said all along that they won’t hesitate to toughen that up if necessary but the latest is they have no immediate plans to do that. 

• Like 1

Managed to get some of my assignment done today. It's the start of 1 out of 2 assignments left for the year. 

Went out for a walk earlier, where we walk is very quiet it's essentially a big off road walking path away from everyone. 

We're being asked whether we want to opt in or out of (nursing) placement. Waiting for more information first and we may not  going out  until June either (which doesn't make sense to me as I'm sure we're needed now). If we opt in we will get paid as we won't be supernumerary and also means we will have less support. 

Had a bit of a wobble as I haven't seen most of my family and friends since Christmas as it is. But I'm thankful of course to be safe, and family are safe.  

• Like 6

Filled up the pond.

Just got to wait til the end of the month to get the surrounding decking delivered.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Hopefully you weren’t paying full prices for all those mini-versions.

Probably the way they have put the price of things up at the moment. Rob usually does the shopping I know why now 🙄😂

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

17 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Biked down to Sorrento for a swim in the shark net. It's about 1km for a complete lap around so decent place to have an idea how far you've swum. I have one of those fancy garmin watches but I keep forgetting to start and stop it. 

To say we are supposed to be on lockdown there's an awful lot of people about. It's brilliant weather at the moment and our numbers here are pretty good, so I think if we don't have lots more cases things won't change. Loads of people on all the beaches but everyone in 2's keeping a distance from the next couple. People launching boats at Hillary's boat ramp, lots out walking and biking.

I've been taking the youngster out for driving lessons and we've passed a couple of police cars. Didn't even think about whether it was the right thing to do as we don't stop anywhere, there's just me and him in the car, he's a pretty good driver and the roads are quite. Then I saw a lady in Melbourne got fined for the same thing. Got withdrawn later though. Going to risk another lesson today.

I think this weekend might be a test. Weathers looking good, kids off school, if people don't do the right thing I can see beaches being closed. That would be a disaster.

Sounds a lovely day. I think @Rossmoyne may have taken me there. 
People are saying what a ghost town the suburbs around us are. No one in sight. 

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

5 hours ago, BritChickx said:

Managed to get some of my assignment done today. It's the start of 1 out of 2 assignments left for the year. 

Went out for a walk earlier, where we walk is very quiet it's essentially a big off road walking path away from everyone. 

We're being asked whether we want to opt in or out of (nursing) placement. Waiting for more information first and we may not  going out  until June either (which doesn't make sense to me as I'm sure we're needed now). If we opt in we will get paid as we won't be supernumerary and also means we will have less support. 

Had a bit of a wobble as I haven't seen most of my family and friends since Christmas as it is. But I'm thankful of course to be safe, and family are safe.  

Hang in there beautiful. You can do this. Thankfully we have FaceTime which makes it a little easier these days. How long would placement be for? At least they are giving you the choice. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Hang in there beautiful. You can do this. Thankfully we have FaceTime which makes it a little easier these days. How long would placement be for? At least they are giving you the choice. 

Thanks 🙂 I can't complain really I suppose. 

Our placement is usually meant to be 8 weeks (last one of the year) but if we opt in we're opting in to help with the Covid situation so it'd be for as long as we're needed. Everything still so unknown at this stage. People that opt out will probably have to do extra hours next year and finish year 3 a bit late.

• Like 2

My granddaughter is nursing at St. Vs in the city. Scary times for her and she has a little boy to look after too.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, starlight7 said:

My granddaughter is nursing at St. Vs in the city. Scary times for her and she has a little boy to look after too.

Not great when you have young children or other vulnerable people at home. 

Cerberus spent another day in bed today. The youngest had to do the work around the place despite not feeling great. I felt sorry for them both. It didn’t help when my son decided to move a tree and it landed trapping his finger between the car trailer. His finger nail went blue/black immediately and he thinks he had broken it. He said it’s the worse pain he had felt but all he was bothered about was that he couldn’t use the controller now on his Xbox. He didn’t want to go to hospital so we will see how it goes. He is 19 now so I can’t make him. 

• Like 1

I can’t use the wheelchair and seen as I’m the fittest I took my girl out on the lawn mower for her walk. She is one who is so gentle with anything if I ask her to be, she will even round up the chickens.

I don’t know if you all remember but the neighbours dog came in and over a few weeks took my goats and sheep. We are left with one goat who is a total wild child. We got him as an adult he has never been tame. Anyway the last week whenever I’ve been walking the dogs I’ve noticed he tags along for so far then  falls away. Or if I go outside on my chair he comes over. Anyway today he came right up to the lawnmower put his foot on the deck and tried to get my dachshund to play. He then got off did a little dance then came back to try and get her attention again. It was so sweet. 
‘The downside is I’m laid in bed next to my dachshund who stinks of male goat 😷😷🤧🙄😂

E7AB0C9D-CD7F-4990-BC62-6DB2EB6C742F.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Cerberus spent another day in bed today. The youngest had to do the work around the place despite not feeling great. I felt sorry for them both. It didn’t help when my son decided to move a tree and it landed trapping his finger between the car trailer. His finger nail went blue/black immediately and he thinks he had broken it. He said it’s the worse pain he had felt but all he was bothered about was that he couldn’t use the controller now on his Xbox. He didn’t want to go to hospital so we will see how it goes. He is 19 now so I can’t make him. 

No point going to hospital with a broken digit anyway especially if it is the tip of the finger.  It is often worth strapping it (as tightly as comfortable without stopping the circulation) to the adjacent finger helping it to set straight.

As a lifelong cricket player broken and fractured fingers are very common.  The first time you go to hospital.  After that you don’t bother.

• Like 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

6 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I can’t use the wheelchair and seen as I’m the fittest I took my girl out on the lawn mower for her walk. She is one who is so gentle with anything if I ask her to be, she will even round up the chickens.

I don’t know if you all remember but the neighbours dog came in and over a few weeks took my goats and sheep. We are left with one goat who is a total wild child. We got him as an adult he has never been tame. Anyway the last week whenever I’ve been walking the dogs I’ve noticed he tags along for so far then  falls away. Or if I go outside on my chair he comes over. Anyway today he came right up to the lawnmower put his foot on the deck and tried to get my dachshund to play. He then got off did a little dance then came back to try and get her attention again. It was so sweet. 
‘The downside is I’m laid in bed next to my dachshund who stinks of male goat 😷😷🤧🙄😂

E7AB0C9D-CD7F-4990-BC62-6DB2EB6C742F.jpeg

Male goats certainly do stink.  We rescued a male and had him castrated but it didn't make much difference to his BO.  I was trimming his feet the other day and came home stinking of goat.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2020 at 02:48, The Pom Queen said:

Sounds a lovely day. I think @Rossmoyne may have taken me there. 
People are saying what a ghost town the suburbs around us are. No one in sight. 

I think Perth and Joondalup are ghost towns, the beachside suburbs are really busy.

Took the youngster for a driving lesson. No problems and even saw someone havng a motorbike lesson, so I'm guessing it's OK in WA.

Biked to Sorrento and had a long swim in the sharknet again. It's about 1.5 km for a lap around the perimeter. All the car parks on the way are busy. Specially the dog beach one and that's big. Lots of people out on boats at Hillary's. Saw some young guys, looked like about 5 of them had been out fishing and they looked a bit guilty as they were getting in the car. My son went out on his paddle board and said the cops were patrolling the beach and warning people about being too close or in too big groups. Apart from that they're not closing beaches or telling people to leave. Today will be a big test. Mid 30's, glorious day, no-one at work, kids off school and most people that go away stuck at home.

If lots of people from outer suburbs just go to the beach as normal today it's going to stuff it up for everyone. Planning on going for a surf ski paddle on my own later. I'll go down on the bike though and keep away from everyone.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BritChickx said:

Thanks 🙂 I can't complain really I suppose. 

Our placement is usually meant to be 8 weeks (last one of the year) but if we opt in we're opting in to help with the Covid situation so it'd be for as long as we're needed. Everything still so unknown at this stage. People that opt out will probably have to do extra hours next year and finish year 3 a bit late.

My wife tells me that the trainees here "opting in", I guess it's sort of the same here, are being put on non covid wards and situations where it's pretty straight forward nursing. The more experienced nurses are being moved for the riskier work. Seems to be common sense. The last thing you want to be doing in a riskier situation is making sure a trainee is doing the right thing.

I would go for the placement if it leads to getting finished earlier. Good luck. Good career choice. You'll be able to go just about anywhere in the world with UK quals, once this is all over.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I am literally watching grass grow. It's been a week, I'm watering every night. How long does it take for it to germinate? It's been warm and sunny. Maybe too warm.

Time seems to be taking much longer to pass. The weeks used to wizz by. Now a day seems like a long time. And it's not a bad thing. I get time to do stuff, and it's not all a mad rush. Starting to wonder if I should retire. If I was allowed to leave the house I could get used to this.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, newjez said:

I am literally watching grass grow. It's been a week, I'm watering every night. How long does it take for it to germinate? It's been warm and sunny. Maybe too warm.

A couple of weeks. You should have bought turf though.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Just now, Parley said:

A couple of weeks. You should have bought turf though.

Costs a lot more. But I agree it's a lot easier.

My lettuces have  sprouted in just 2 days. Very proud of them. I have to keep them away from the beasts we get in our garden so they are living in my new little Aldi greenhouse.

27 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

My lettuces have  sprouted in just 2 days. Very proud of them. I have to keep them away from the beasts we get in our garden so they are living in my new little Aldi greenhouse.

Good luck. We have an Easter bunny hopping round in ours!  A baby bunny born after the recent cull by rabbit virus released last year. 

• Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

59 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

We have tomatoes, lettuce, pepper and capsicum. All doing well. Hard to get the seeds though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, starlight7 said:

We have 72 new weeds sprouted does that count 😂😂 actually went out with the dogs today and one of the weeds is producing yellow flowers and there were swarms of wild bees 🐝.

Rob is still in bed not well. Youngest seems to be ok now touch wood. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of weeds grow but I have cleared all the wandering Jew out - not sure if that is a pc thing to call it but not sure what else. Worst thing is that oxalis which comes up overnight - the Coronavirus of the garden, foul stuff.