You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

The Pom Queen

Day to Day Diary of Coronavirus/Covid-19 2020

Went for a walk down to the bottom of the garden which is as far as we're allowed to go. Pulled out a few weeds round the compost bin. Cooked spag bol for tea with mushrooms and spinach, very exciting. Talked on phone, vacuumed, played on the computer.  That's about it.  Boring as....

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Just taking photos in the garden. Loads of butterflies around but they won’t keep still long enough. Lots of empty photos.

Lorikeets Not practicing social distancing, should have edited the last one down.

52279B53-87FF-4E8B-80A0-CC04CF74C864.jpeg

2C1D9055-B850-4D76-A23A-56F8B5385889.jpeg

028C31EC-0277-49F2-B662-C04342790FD8.jpeg

Edited by ramot
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, ramot said:

Just taking photos in the garden. Loads of butterflies around but they won’t keep still long enough. Lots of empty photos.

@ramot

Farzands and farzands, if not more, of blue tiger butterflies heading off to the Whitsunday Is, from here. A steady stream of them from 6AM to when I left my possy at 9.45AM.

It is an annual thing around the last week in March. So, nowt to do with Covid-19.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 3

I lugged close to $20k worth of microscope home to do work, found it was far more fun (and really distracting) doing macro shots of dead bugs instead.  Arguing that it's teaching the kids science, but in reality it's me mucking  around.

bug really really small.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ramot said:

Lorikeets Not practicing social distancing, should have edited the last one down.

Beautiful. 

• Like 2

Just been WFH, and heading over to Bunnings as our choc lab is due to arrive in about four weeks! Other than that the odd grocery run

• Like 1

Three weeks of self isolation for this old chook today.   The first few days went OK as I needed a break from the social calendar, but after that I had cabin fever with a vengeance.   I really missed my Gardening Club, friends, lunches out, shopping etc, but mostly not seeing my daughter every other day.   She has a compromised immune system and is working from home, so we felt it would be better to just chat on the phone/skype for the time being.   Soooooo hard as we are both very demonstrative, huggy, tactile ladies and Skype just doesn't cut it!.  

Since Sunday though things have felt so much better.   I decided to take off my "retired and winging it" hat, and get back into some form of structure to every day.   Woofer and I have been getting up early to go for our walk around the empty streets, then home to do chores.   I made a long list of all the little things I needed to do in both the garden and the house, and cross a few off every day.   Instead of having a housework/washing day once a week, I have split those chores into one a day, and then we get to lunch.... lunch outside with a book.    Afternoons are "play time" and I can choose to surf the net, or do some craft work, hang around the pool, or just Netflix binge.   Day 3 of this more structured routine today, and boy am I feeling so much better.   Daughter and I even came up with a plan on how we can physically be with each other...... she comes through the garage into my back garden and sits at one end of my 3 metre patio table, and I sit at the other.   So lovely to see her dear face while we chat..    Really really want to hug her, but that will happen when this shit storm is over.... might not let her go!    Worried about my son though as he lives in Queensland and is FIFO from the Gold Coast to Central Queensland, inland from Mackay.   Since the flights have been scaled back so much, he has been unable to FIFO and is now driving the 12hour journey to work and back again after his 7 day shift... so I suppose he is DIDO!   Such a long drive, but at least he has a job, which is more than his partner has now.

I am lucky that I always keep a full freezer and pantry, and apart from running out of fresh vegies and eggs yesterday  (that were home delivered today by my young neighbours) I am doing OK.

Bottom line though is that we all have to do what we have to do.  Most people I know are doing the right thing, but some appear not to be.   I was accused on the phone  today by a friend (also in her 70's and who is still going out and about all day every day), that I was stupidly over-reacting.  It shocked me to start with, but then I remembered that she had said to me a few weeks ago that she actually didn't want to live any longer and hoped this took her now.   I thought she was joking at the time.... obviously not....  how sad!

Keep safe PIO community.   Rossy

• Like 7

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

The young families in my local community have started a "We are Going on a Bear Hunt" activity to get their kids out of the house and exercising.  They are walking, scootering and biking.   Everyone has been asked to put a teddy bear in their window and just post a photo on our local FB page without an address.   The kids then have to find that Teddy Bear!    What a wonderful community thing to do.    So my fave Teddy, called "Guinness Dinnes", is currently living in my lounge window and looking right down the drive.   He has already had a few kids ring their bike bells as they spot him.   Makes me laugh when I hear it.   Guinness is named for his colours... he is an old boy and a bit squashy and I have to keep sitting him up, but he has become such a talking point for my neighbours too, and I totally love that something as simple as this is bringing us together.

Guiness Dinnes.jpg

• Like 6

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

1 hour ago, Rossmoyne said:

Three weeks of self isolation for this old chook today.   The first few days went OK as I needed a break from the social calendar, but after that I had cabin fever with a vengeance.   I really missed my Gardening Club, friends, lunches out, shopping etc, but mostly not seeing my daughter every other day.   She has a compromised immune system and is working from home, so we felt it would be better to just chat on the phone/skype for the time being.   Soooooo hard as we are both very demonstrative, huggy, tactile ladies and Skype just doesn't cut it!.  

Since Sunday though things have felt so much better.   I decided to take off my "retired and winging it" hat, and get back into some form of structure to every day.   Woofer and I have been getting up early to go for our walk around the empty streets, then home to do chores.   I made a long list of all the little things I needed to do in both the garden and the house, and cross a few off every day.   Instead of having a housework/washing day once a week, I have split those chores into one a day, and then we get to lunch.... lunch outside with a book.    Afternoons are "play time" and I can choose to surf the net, or do some craft work, hang around the pool, or just Netflix binge.   Day 3 of this more structured routine today, and boy am I feeling so much better.   Daughter and I even came up with a plan on how we can physically be with each other...... she comes through the garage into my back garden and sits at one end of my 3 metre patio table, and I sit at the other.   So lovely to see her dear face while we chat..    Really really want to hug her, but that will happen when this shit storm is over.... might not let her go!    Worried about my son though as he lives in Queensland and is FIFO from the Gold Coast to Central Queensland, inland from Mackay.   Since the flights have been scaled back so much, he has been unable to FIFO and is now driving the 12hour journey to work and back again after his 7 day shift... so I suppose he is DIDO!   Such a long drive, but at least he has a job, which is more than his partner has now.

I am lucky that I always keep a full freezer and pantry, and apart from running out of fresh vegies and eggs yesterday  (that were home delivered today by my young neighbours) I am doing OK.

Bottom line though is that we all have to do what we have to do.  Most people I know are doing the right thing, but some appear not to be.   I was accused on the phone  today by a friend (also in her 70's and who is still going out and about all day every day), that I was stupidly over-reacting.  It shocked me to start with, but then I remembered that she had said to me a few weeks ago that she actually didn't want to live any longer and hoped this took her now.   I thought she was joking at the time.... obviously not....  how sad!

Keep safe PIO community.   Rossy

Your friend should think about the infection of other people, you are contagious for at least 5 days before symptoms show and in those 5+ days you can infect an unknown number of other people, in her case probably older people who will create a huge burden on the health system.

Over reaction?

No.

Civic responsibility. 

• Like 3

Looking at the large truck parked outside the New York hospital being loaded up with bodies of corona victims- so no, definitely no over-reaction. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, ramot said:

what river is that

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Driving past Austin Hospital today and noticed that some large white tents were being erected in the car park. Not sure what they're for, maybe a testing clinic.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

The young families in my local community have started a "We are Going on a Bear Hunt" activity to get their kids out of the house and exercising.  They are walking, scootering and biking.   Everyone has been asked to put a teddy bear in their window and just post a photo on our local FB page without an address.   The kids then have to find that Teddy Bear!    What a wonderful community thing to do.    So my fave Teddy, called "Guinness Dinnes", is currently living in my lounge window and looking right down the drive.   He has already had a few kids ring their bike bells as they spot him.   Makes me laugh when I hear it.   Guinness is named for his colours... he is an old boy and a bit squashy and I have to keep sitting him up, but he has become such a talking point for my neighbours too, and I totally love that something as simple as this is bringing us together.

Guiness Dinnes.jpg

We have drawings of rainbows in windows everywhere here. Again, something for the kids to do.  There are some lovely rainbows about, many with things written like stay strong, share the love and thinking of you type stuff, all in kids writing. There must be some parents pulling their hair out trying to keep the little ones busy as some houses have a rainbow in every window. I can hear it now ‘why not go and draw another lovely rainbow, take your time’ 😀

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Melbpom said:

Driving past Austin Hospital today and noticed that some large white tents were being erected in the car park. Not sure what they're for, maybe a testing clinic.

A morgue?

A field hospital?

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

A morgue?

A field hospital?

A morgue would not be erected outside in a car park, testing probably.

10 hours ago, Perthbum said:

what river is that

Prefer not to post where I might live on an open forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the UK they are converting an ice rink to use as a morgue. They are worried that funeral homes and hospitals may not have the capacity. 

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Very quiet around here.  Deserted beach, children's play area, skate park and the last  of the mainlanders in the caravan park leave tonight.  Everywhere so peaceful and no rubbish strewn around!  It seems strange to see nobody at the beach as it's such a lovely warm day.

005.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 4

Went out to the office today to get my free Flu jab.

Stopped (briefly!) on the way back for an isolation survival kit

IMG_20200401_120101.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

IELTS 08/06/13: 9.0. - ACS Assessment: 02/08/13. Result 13/11/13. VIC SS 20/11/13. EOI 20/11/13. VIC SS Resubmitted 20/06/14, Approved 02/07/14. Visa Application (190) 14/07/14. CO assigned, Meds/PCC requested 27/08/14. Granted 24/10/14!! Activated 31/03/15. Arrival 27/08/15.Citizenship Applied 17/04/2019,  Test confirmed 09/07/2019 for 15/12/2019, Online invite 05/06/2020. Ceremony 18/06/2020

8 hours ago, ramot said:

Prefer not to post where I might live on an open forum.

I live in Stratford next to river Avon 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

It’s the sun newspaper, it’s already been debunked, it’s for corona testing 

Edited by Perthbum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

I live in Stratford next to river Avon 

I respect your decision to post  anything you want to post and I expect the same courtesy. 

• Like 1

We're all still working … so we all went to work and all came home (late).

• Like 2

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows