register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

The Pom Queen

Day to Day Diary of Coronavirus/Covid-19 2020

2 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Here is my new track. It takes me a long time to reach the bottom so I’ve put it on fast forward 

Fair sized block of land!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

That seems a bit strange. 30 mins is plenty of time to catch the virus. Seems no different than going for a 30 minute drink in the pub. I guess they can try and sit people a distance away from each other in the salon but you’ve still got the hairdresser themselves being inches away from you just like they’ve been with every other customer.  Think I’d stay away. 

I had a haircut recently and the hairdresser was wearing a mask.

If they are wearing a mask i would be happy.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

14 minutes ago, Parley said:

I had a haircut recently and the hairdresser was wearing a mask.

If they are wearing a mask i would be happy.

But their hands are touching around your face. We are told not to touch our face as the virus can live for quite sometime on various surfaces. That’s why we have to constantly wash our hands and sanitise. A mask would help protect you if they were coughing but if their hands are covered in the virus the mask is irrelevant and the virus is then all over your neck and face. If the experts say keep 2 metres away from others I cannot see how a hairdresser within inches of many people all day is safe. If we wouldn’t be ok having a stranger lean all over us then why would we want a hairdresser doing exactly that. Best to avoid I’d say.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

But their hands are touching around your face. We are told not to touch our face as the virus can live for quite sometime on various surfaces. That’s why we have to constantly wash our hands and sanitise. A mask would help protect you if they were coughing but if their hands are covered in the virus the mask is irrelevant and the virus is then all over your neck and face. If the experts say keep 2 metres away from others I cannot see how a hairdresser within inches of many people all day is safe. If we wouldn’t be ok having a stranger lean all over us then why would we want a hairdresser doing exactly that. Best to avoid I’d say.  

My thoughts exactly.  I think they're treating it as an "essential service" because some people would have no idea how to cut their hair.  

I was talking to my sister last night on Messenger.  She's high risk so wouldn't go to the hairdresser.  She was saying "oh dear, I'll have to go grey" - it turns out she's never bought a packet hair colour in her life, and is too scared to try (she's over 60 BTW).  She's also not happy about having to let her hair grow but too scared to cut it herself.  My sister was a very high-powered executive before she retired - I guess the trouble is that all her life, she's been able to afford to pay someone else to do her hair, nails etc.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

My thoughts exactly.  I think they're treating it as an "essential service" because some people would have no idea how to cut their hair.  

I was talking to my sister last night on Messenger.  She's high risk so wouldn't go to the hairdresser.  She was saying "oh dear, I'll have to go grey" - it turns out she's never bought a packet hair colour in her life, and is too scared to try (she's over 60 BTW).  She's also not happy about having to let her hair grow but too scared to cut it herself.  My sister was a very high-powered executive before she retired - I guess the trouble is that all her life, she's been able to afford to pay someone else to do her hair, nails etc.

I think for most it does seem essential but you’re right, it’s not really.  I will struggle a bit as the thought of my hair getting messy is not good.  However these are unusual times and like you, people will be asking family members to have a go. I reckon sales on shop bought hair dye will rocket. That’s one thing I don’t need to worry about,  I don’t have any grey hair. 

30 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I think for most it does seem essential but you’re right, it’s not really.  I will struggle a bit as the thought of my hair getting messy is not good.  However these are unusual times and like you, people will be asking family members to have a go. I reckon sales on shop bought hair dye will rocket. That’s one thing I don’t need to worry about,  I don’t have any grey hair. 

I had a good haircut last week -  it's just a simple bob so if all the hairdressers close (they are still open here today) I'll just pin it up when it gets on my nerves.  I don't have any grey hair yet either.  Never bothered putting colour in it.  My husband has gone out to get that clipper thing Marisa was telling us about for himself.

• Like 1

Wednesday 

not talking about hairdressers, thought this was about daily diary 

Two bird pictures from this morning. The strange looking photo is our lizard, wish it was a better photo, but it was in such a funny pose, before it hid inside the elephant.

Stay safe everyone.

725DCCE8-9CA3-435E-AE5C-8135F56EFB00.jpeg

E5344158-1BDB-4A04-9735-AD2A60F26699.jpeg

4138158A-62F9-4C3F-B86C-737F157B0399.jpeg

• Like 5

Went out to rural supplies for meadow hay, quite expensive @ $30/bale.  Quick bank visit and then off to a suburban supermarket for a few things.  couldn’t resist the hummingbird cake & skinny cappuccino, takeaway only unfortunately.  Home I guess to clean the bathroom exhaust fan, a stepladder job.  Collect daughter from work at 5:30 tonight and straight to ze horse, some 28 kms away.  Full board these days, so daily visits not required.  

• Like 1

What are you doing now [mention=216672]tonyman[/mention]
House repossession work PQ for the banks, from clearing out the property, full property maintainance and then the garden make over to get properties to a sellable state...... From Mansions to Meth labs, keeping my business so busy ........
  • Like 3

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

My hairdresser has told us clients NOT to buy off the shelf colour if we don’t want to go to her salon (only two chairs and now with a Perspex screen between).  She will happily advise us how to diy and provide the colour mixed to our personal recipe.  Of course she will charge for it, and I am willing to pay to keep her in business. Fortunately had mine done recently.

There are some good temp touch up pots available, basically like eyebrow powder, that can hide the parting line grey.  But as I’m not going out anywhere........

• Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

2 hours ago, tonyman said:
12 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:
What are you doing now [mention=216672]tonyman[/mention]

House repossession work PQ for the banks, from clearing out the property, full property maintainance and then the garden make over to get properties to a sellable state...... From Mansions to Meth labs, keeping my business so busy ........

In the best possible way I hope you don’t get busier!

• Like 3

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Personally I wouldn't go near a hairdressers and I can't understand what Scomo is playing at allowing it. He really is a doofus. At the airport no-one was checked even if they were walking around coughing and looking ill. Pathetic. Clearly things will get much,much worse with kids still going to school and childcare allowed to happen. Kids will not and cannot observe social distancing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Personally I wouldn't go near a hairdressers and I can't understand what Scomo is playing at allowing it. He really is a doofus. At the airport no-one was checked even if they were walking around coughing and looking ill. Pathetic. Clearly things will get much,much worse with kids still going to school and childcare allowed to happen. Kids will not and cannot observe social distancing. 

Do you really think Scott Morrison just makes up all these rules himself.

Don't be silly.

My 16 year old is bored sh@tless.....he was initially doing backflips 6 or 7 days ago when school closure were being raised and the possibility they would not have to sit their GCSE's etc.....he had it in his mind that there would be a 6 month summer holiday.....hanging with his mates and doing those things that teenagers do......he is now bored to death and wants to go back to school......lol

• Haha 4

My grandchildren aged 12,15 and 17 are still at the stage of liking it. Mind you it has only been a few days. The 2 girls like craft  and cooking and they are very close so they are ok. The older boy yaks on the phone and does homework and goes for jogs with his friend a few houses down early morning.

• Like 2

I do think Dan Andrews has been pretty good actually.

We need strong leaders who communicate well in a crisis like this.

I think both Dan and Scomo are doing very well.

2 hours ago, kungfustu said:

My 16 year old is bored sh@tless.....he was initially doing backflips 6 or 7 days ago when school closure were being raised and the possibility they would not have to sit their GCSE's etc.....he had it in his mind that there would be a 6 month summer holiday.....hanging with his mates and doing those things that teenagers do......he is now bored to death and wants to go back to school......lol

My 16 year old is finding being at home a tad boring too.  She is doing school assignments delivered online but struggling with applying herself.  She talks to her friends on instagram a fair bit.

Still only the first week of self-isolation.  Luckily we have a large house, nice weather, and a reasonable amount of freedom to go outside.

• Like 3

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Wednesday.  My golf club announced last night they were re-opening the course so enjoyed a round of golf this morning and a doze in the hammock in the backyard this afternoon.

Back to doing jobs around the house tomorrow and some gardening.

• Like 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Did some gardening and then got a poke in the eye with one of the orchid leaves. Pathetic, wouldn’t read about it. I hear Prince Charles has got it, it really must spread very easily and I am sure he would have been very careful.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bobj said:

Most of that lot is black wattle. Hope that bloodnut didn't get spiked too often by the dead twigs.

Cheers, Bobj.

He sure did. Is it normal for people to come up in a allergy rash when handling lantana? I don’t know if it’s just mine and my sons immune system. We were covered head to toe. 

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Well I went exploring on my new path today, I was a slight rebel because the fire track led me past 4 lots of wild bee hives and then another track which to be honest I couldn’t tell if it was still the fire track or the back of another acreage property. After a few more km it came to a dead end and another property in front with the most stunning horse. @Bulya I don’t know the make/model (breed lol) but it reminded me of an Arabian. It came running up to the fence but was very flighty and frisky, I don’t know if that was a friendly behaviour or a warning. But I had my dachshund on my knee and with the wheelchair sound I thought it may freak it. So we headed back.

We also finally saw the cuckoo, we hear them all the time but I’ve never seen one. It was on Nats path and wasn’t worried by the dog. Then the bearded dragon who looks like he has dropped his tail. 
‘All followed by a Chicken dinner 🍽.

It is great being outside with my son/dogs and not being on social media I feel so much calmer.  
52EB887C-2CCC-4B1D-82CC-217120EEE402.jpeg

F574623E-8A4B-4425-8288-EA62E93E0550.jpeg

AB2C25F2-408D-4B84-A6C5-733152DBD276.jpeg

• Like 4

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

I also found this on my walk today I have no idea what it is?

866B63F3-27D2-4A54-AE30-E280AC2D4196.jpeg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

I also found this on my walk today I have no idea what it is?

866B63F3-27D2-4A54-AE30-E280AC2D4196.jpeg

It is a type of fungus.

I have a few of the fan type on dead logs.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

He sure did. Is it normal for people to come up in a allergy rash when handling lantana? I don’t know if it’s just mine and my sons immune system. We were covered head to toe. 

@The Pom Queen Lantana has very tiny 'hairs ' on both leaves and stalks and can be very irritating; a sort of defence mechanism..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Toots said:

I had a good haircut last week -  it's just a simple bob so if all the hairdressers close (they are still open here today) I'll just pin it up when it gets on my nerves.  I don't have any grey hair yet either.  Never bothered putting colour in it.  My husband has gone out to get that clipper thing Marisa was telling us about for himself.

That was good luck having just had your hair done. I am the opposite. Mines been a bit desperate for a few weeks now but I had an appointment booked this week to get it done before my holiday and now I can’t. Could now be waiting months.  Oh the woes of a women!

• Like 2