The Pom Queen

Day to Day Diary of Coronavirus/Covid-19 2020

8 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Saw that , how fantastic .

That is why australia has done so well .

There's no denying that Aus has/is doing well.  However the lock down is a lot less severe than the UK.  

Sunday I popped into work for a few bits - The Farmer's market down the road was running, and busy.
Most shops are still open - Bunnings, Spotlight, BBQs Galore, big malls like High Point - none of the UK equivalents are.
Fast food joints are open, albeit takeaway/drive through/delivery only - UK Maccers/BK etc are shut completely.

Not sure what my point is, just interesting to observe.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, unzippy said:

There's no denying that Aus has/is doing well.  However the lock down is a lot less severe than the UK.  

ly Sunday I popped into work for a few bits - The Farmer's market down the road was running, and busy.
Most shops are still open - Bunnings, Spotlight, BBQs Galore, big malls like High Point - none of the UK equivalents are.
Fast food joints are open, albeit takeaway/drive through/delivery only - UK Maccers/BK etc are shut completely.

Not sure what my point is, just interesting to observe.

Because the town of Burnie on the north west Tassie coast is a "hot spot" for Covid-19, the areas around us have a stricter lockdown than other areas of Tassie.  The only shops that are open are supermarkets and chemists.  Kmart and Bunnings closed last week .............  Bunnings open to tradesmen only.  Local markets closed - one or two of the many cafes are takeaway only.  Happily there was only 1 new case of the virus in Tasmania yesterday.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

My eldest son lives in Newcastle over East at the moment. He has a job on a rig off Karratha in WA. He flew in to Perth Monday night where I was allowed to pick him up. He had to supply a lot of paperwork to get the passes needed, he has some skills needed and was allowed to stay with us, obviously not go out, until he flew up to Karratha today, where he has to isolate on a camp for 2 weeks before 4 weeks on the rig.

Good news is he gets paid for the isolation and I think they are allowed out for a run. He's got a playstation, a yoga mat and the place he's isolating in has decent sized rooms with seperate bedrooms and a small kitchen, also a small deck where he can probably shout to his neighbour over a beer. Probably better than being stuck in a high rise hotel with no balcony or opening window. 

The money will be good but it won't be as easy.

It was wierd at the airport, the flight was delayed but they have free parking in the long term at the moment. Waited there till he messaged me he was on the ground. Went round to the main waiting area where you usually get moved on. Hardly anyone there so allowed to wait. A few police and a lot of airport staff, they let about half a dozen off the flight at a time and were really strict with checking paperwork, I think it was federal police checking. Took him about 30 mins to get through.

Saw about 3 busses and lots of police cars heading into Perth, no doubt ferrying international returnees to isolate in Perth hotels. A bit surreal as there was so little traffic on the road. 

Edited by Paul1Perth
  • Like 2

My granddaughter lives opposite a school down in Gippsland and she tells me there is a full roll up for school, no one seems to be staying at home down there. The shops are full, too. Maybe the cities and outer suburbs are the only people self isolating ?

Son says they aren't allowed out for a run in Karatha, they can go out on the small deck but otherwise it's stay in the room. They bring the food to them.

Just seen the queues at shops in the UK on the news. We are really lucky here, only place I've seen small queues was Bunnings. Shops seem back to normal, can buy as many toilet roles as we like now.😁

• Like 1

There's a report at the moment about a lot of ethnic minorities of health workers who are dying and Sky are trying to link it to discrimination in the workplace and social inequality. 

They love any chance they get to stir the pot.

56 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Son says they aren't allowed out for a run in Karatha, they can go out on the small deck but otherwise it's stay in the room. They bring the food to them.

Just seen the queues at shops in the UK on the news. We are really lucky here, only place I've seen small queues was Bunnings. Shops seem back to normal, can buy as many toilet roles as we like now.😁

We had 4 new cases of the virus here on the north west Tassie coast today.  😡  Two health workers, one other person who was related to a health worker and the other person has no idea how she got it.  We can go out running, walking, cycling as much as we like - keeping our distance of course.  Supermarkets are well stocked again.

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

There's a report at the moment about a lot of ethnic minorities of health workers who are dying and Sky are trying to link it to discrimination in the workplace and social inequality. 

What makes you think Sky are lying?

• Like 1

Sky has a section in the news where they show a board of the deaths of key workers, its overwhelmingly BAME in make up. Yet these are the facts, and they are being reported even, in the pro- status quo Murdoch media. Yet the cognitive dissonance is too much for some, where facts and reality mean that even Murdoch can’t spin a status quo yarn, unless one is in America where it looks like someone laced the food with LSD -it’s getting beyond trippy, over there!

That is a misrepresentation.

Actually, they reported verifiable statistics and facts, and the Government is investigating because it has public health implications in such extraordinary times, because these are key workers and

1) Spread needs to be contained
2) The Government needs its key workers to be healthy and alive.

The majority of the health workers, bus drivers, security staff, shelf stackers affected are of BAME origin. Equally those affected disproportionately could all have been white and come the East end. It doesn’t matter.

The Government, NHS and press are doing their job in a manner that is colour blind- following the evidence. And so they should, ignoring groups that are disproportionately affected only means that it allows the spread to everyone and cripples its containment efforts.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, unzippy said:

I didn't say they were lying, the numbers are there for everyone to see, but to try and link the deaths to discrimination is drawing a long bow and doesn't help anything. Except to stir up people who love the discrimination angle and stir up trouble between races.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

The queues for the shops are exaggerated I think.  I have been going to my usual supermarket once a week and the longest I’ve queued for is 20 minutes and generally much quicker.  I also work in a town Monday to Friday and have popped into one of the other shops a few times, Iceland and M&S food hall and have either walked straight in or queued for a few minutes. I walk past a Waitrose on my way to work and there is usually a queue but there’s maybe a dozen or so people in it.  The queues look longer as people are stood 2 metres apart but they move quite quick. No shortage of anything in the shops either, all well stocked. It was only in those early few weeks there was problems when some decided they needed enough pasta and toilet roll to last a year. 

I've torn the tendon in the arch of my foot. Felt it go yesterday while doing joe wick's exercise.

I can walk on it ok without pain, but it feels like I have a walnut under my foot. Painful to the touch.

I was silly, doing circuits in bare feet with no arch support.

Looks like I'm doing low impact for the next six weeks. Hopefully it heals,(no pun intended) as I've heard that sort of injury can go on for a long time.

• Sad 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

3 minutes ago, newjez said:

I've torn the tendon in the arch of my foot. Felt it go yesterday while doing joe wick's exercise.

I can walk on it ok without pain, but it feels like I have a walnut under my foot. Painful to the touch.

Looks like I'm doing low impact for the next six weeks. Hopefully it heals,(no pun intended) as I've heard that sort of injury can go on for a long time.

It is very painful.  I ruptured the tendon in the arch of my left foot years ago.  It took a couple of weeks before it felt a lot better.  Had to wear very comfy shoes during that time.  No teetering around on high heels!

• Like 1

I've got a second interview!

Christ, I might have to go back to work!

When do I need to tell them that I'm in the 1.5 million extremely vulnerable?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, newjez said:

I've got a second interview!

Christ, I might have to go back to work!

When do I need to tell them that I'm in the 1.5 million extremely vulnerable?

Why don't they ask the questions from the 2nd interview in the 1st interview ? So inefficient.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Hard to beat a 100 year old having a number 1 hit single in the UK.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

10 hours ago, Parley said:

Why don't they ask the questions from the 2nd interview in the 1st interview ? So inefficient.

First interview is generally technical.

Second is more about the person matching the organisation, and usually has HR.

I've often had a third one with senior management, just to see if they like you.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2020 at 17:30, newjez said:

I'm no doctor but hang around with a lot of people who exercise a lot. A lot do beach running and a common injury is planter fasciitus. Which sounds a lot like your symptoms. If it is it takes a long time to get right. It's a strain of a tendon under the foot which goes up to your achilles tendon. Can be really painful. My wife had it for ages.

9 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I'm no doctor but hang around with a lot of people who exercise a lot. A lot do beach running and a common injury is planter fasciitus. Which sounds a lot like your symptoms. If it is it takes a long time to get right. It's a strain of a tendon under the foot which goes up to your achilles tendon. Can be really painful. My wife had it for ages.

My wife has that, and it is not going away. Causes her a lot of pain.

It could be that. But my wife has pain on the heel and the Achilles. Mine is more general pain from the ball of my foot to the heel. But I'll rest it as much as I can. Just annoyed I can't use my bike, as that is non impact.

I have a hozelock expanding hose. Damn thing broke. Second one I've gone through. I'm wondering if our water pressure is too high. It has a five year warranty. But under lockdown?

Just what I need under lockdown.

But I've ordered a cheap replacement, plus we have ten days of rain! Never been so happy to have rain.

So I've re seeded the patches on the lawn and just waiting for the heavens to open.

The American fridge freezer in the garage is playing up too.

Thankfully we only use it to store toilet rolls.

(That was a joke by the way)

Someone is coming to look at it.

Edited by newjez
  • Haha 1

On 27/04/2020 at 21:51, newjez said:

My wife has that, and it is not going away. Causes her a lot of pain.

It could be that. But my wife has pain on the heel and the Achilles. Mine is more general pain from the ball of my foot to the heel. But I'll rest it as much as I can. Just annoyed I can't use my bike, as that is non impact.

It took me about 18 months to get over planter fasciitus it was a bloody nightmare and no real treatment other than time!

• Haha 1