Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

The Pom Queen

Day to Day Diary of Coronavirus/Covid-19 2020

Recommended Posts

This is a thread for you to write a post at the end or beginning of each day from your real life experiences and thoughts or what you have done during the Coronavirus outbreak.

  • Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today it was hubby’s birthday and I felt terrible, I haven’t been outside of the house for a while due to being in quarantine so couldn’t get him a present or a card. My youngest braved going to the local shop for a card and cake and also to pick up some more supplies. When he came to pay they told him he had to choose between the cake and the loaf of bread because bakery items were on rations of one per person, anyway I don’t know what he said but he got the cake.

So today we went for a drive to the local dam, there was not one other car on the road, that’s one good thing about living rural. When we got to the dam there was already a party of around 50 there, here are the noisy ones who didn’t want to share the tables.

9B4B6567-8ABA-48D2-81E4-70072016DC87.jpeg

 

We had our BBQ there was no one else around but we only stayed an hour and then headed straight home and chained the gate back up behind us.

EC00BA5C-5863-4EBA-9DBE-9DC580FFDC88.jpeg

 

26691AD0-B3EE-4002-A00E-D205484386A3.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 10

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is the joy of Australia, that because we're more sparsely populated, it's still possible to go outside and keep well away from people.

I just hope they don't follow Europe's lead and ban people from going out altogether.  i can see the need for that in heavily populated areas, but as your photos show, it's not necessary in most of Oz.   Getting out in nature  makes isolation so much easier.

  • Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Tuesday

Hardly a soul around Mooloolaba today, no problem self distancing. Only worry was the 2 bush turkeys were a bit close.

2A995034-922D-427A-9FEA-C55256A96ABE.jpeg

A9D5DE41-C384-4961-B355-B9967A9397D4.jpeg

1390F2F0-AB05-4337-87A7-DAABC1A18767.jpeg

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got off to a late start. Rob had been coughing for a few days this was after we had all started a while back but put it down to hay fever which I think it still is. I ended up with a really bad sore throat last night so have been on every vitamin and lemsip going. Anyway I’m not going to mope around and dwell. I’m going to hop in my wheelchair and head to the bottom of the garden to find the youngest. Who is fighting through lantana and bush to make me a path for my wheelchair. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Day 8 of working at home. starting to go a bit stir crazy, but first day of kids off school. Mrs was on her last day of work in the office, so all together from tomorrow... we will see how that goes.

We've broken the day into chunks of time, so 30 mins of basketball practice, 30 minutes of playstation, 30 minutes of reading, 30 minutes of ipad, and you cant do more that 1 screen thing at once without an outside break. seems to be going ok for now.

Did take them out with the dog at lunchtime to get out around the block, only saw 1 other person on the street. Did wonder about the women in the hairdressers getting their hair done though... 

 

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-24 at 1.06.05 PM.jpeg

Edited by kevsan
  • Like 2

IELTS 08/06/13: 9.0. - ACS Assessment: 02/08/13. Result 13/11/13. VIC SS 20/11/13. EOI 20/11/13. VIC SS Resubmitted 20/06/14, Approved 02/07/14. Visa Application (190) 14/07/14. CO assigned, Meds/PCC requested 27/08/14. Granted 24/10/14!! Activated 31/03/15. Arrival 27/08/15.Citizenship Applied 17/04/2019,  Test confirmed 09/07/2019 for 15/12/2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, kevsan said:

Did take them out with the dog at lunchtime to get out around the block, only saw 1 other person on the street. Did wonder about the women in the hairdressers getting their hair done though... 

There's no way I'll be going to the hairdressers!    We just bought a Remington Rapid Cut clipper and I did my oh's hair.  It's not the normal long-handled clipper, MUCH easier to use, I can't recommend it enough.   In fact it's so easy, I reckon he could've done it himself. 

Then I got him to cut the back and sides of my hair with it (I got him to use the 1 inch comb, not one of the really short ones like in the video!).  I wasn't quite brave enough to go the full Judi Dench, so I trimmed the top with scissors.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

There's no way I'll be going to the hairdressers!    We just bought a Remington Rapid Cut clipper and I did my oh's hair.  It's not the normal long-handled clipper, MUCH easier to use, I can't recommend it enough.   In fact it's so easy, I reckon he could've done it himself. 

Then I got him to cut the back and sides of my hair with it (I got him to use the 1 inch comb, not one of the really short ones like in the video!).  I wasn't quite brave enough to go the full Judi Dench, so I trimmed the top with scissors.  

It’s not possible to go to the hairdressers here now, all have had to close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ramot said:

Tuesday

Hardly a soul around Mooloolaba today, no problem self distancing. Only worry was the 2 bush turkeys were a bit close.

2A995034-922D-427A-9FEA-C55256A96ABE.jpeg

A9D5DE41-C384-4961-B355-B9967A9397D4.jpeg

1390F2F0-AB05-4337-87A7-DAABC1A18767.jpeg

BRUSH turkeys ??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

It’s not possible to go to the hairdressers here now, all have had to close. 

Think of the money you will save

  • Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Parley said:

Think of the money you will save

My oh says he’s never going back to the barber

  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

BRUSH turkeys ??

Called brush turkey, bush turkey or scrub turkey, all common names.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big day, shopping and getting enough out of the bank to last a couple of months...Bank rang up saying that certain accounts will be closed for a while. Went to buy a block of shares and told.to hold off as prices are still falling.

A huge parcel arrived and spent ages trying to unwrap it, then put the goodies away, tinned and pkt food. Poor bloke who delivered it musta got a hernia! It weighed several kg.

And due to all that, forgot Rob’s birthday, @Cerberus1A happy, if belated birthday, Rob.

Cheers, Bobj.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting to quite like this isolation- lots of people phoning and we had a conference meeting online which was great from the settee with a coffee in one hand, slippers and trackies. Very laid back. I made a couple of masks from Marisa's utube (thanks marisa) one pink and white dots for me, one green stripes for husband for when we are released ( don't care if they are not effective it will keep people at a distance). Did a bit of weeding, made soup, cleaned out some old papers, caught up with emails. Yup- I think I can live with this but maybe only for 2 weeks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Partner started working from home today for next 6 months!
I'm trying to get as much work in as posible but have just found out I have another hernia........
Partners son has been told to take two days off school with a possibility of not returning at all......

  • Like 1

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Parley said:

Think of the money you will save

Oh no, how could you say that 😂 I’d rather spend the money.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worked from home today. They might have enough for me to work tomorrow, but if not, then that is the last of our income until the government announce their package for self employed. 

Have been in the garden, as that is as far as I a, allowed. The wife took the dog for a walk as her once a day allowed bit of exercise. She is supposed to be cooped up 100% with me, but luckily living rural, we can flex that a bit.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kevsan said:

Day 8 of working at home. starting to go a bit stir crazy, but first day of kids off school. Mrs was on her last day of work in the office, so all together from tomorrow... we will see how that goes.

We've broken the day into chunks of time, so 30 mins of basketball practice, 30 minutes of playstation, 30 minutes of reading, 30 minutes of ipad, and you cant do more that 1 screen thing at once without an outside break. seems to be going ok for now.

Did take them out with the dog at lunchtime to get out around the block, only saw 1 other person on the street. Did wonder about the women in the hairdressers getting their hair done though... 

 

 

It will be hard for the children if they can’t spend time with their friends. Although I know a lot of the older children seem to think it will be heaven locked away in their bedroom playing on the Xbox or PlayStation.

I like your idea of having set times. It gives some routine and gets them outside. How old are they?

Re hairdressers, it got me tonight when they announced that hairdressers could remain open as usual but funerals could only have 10 people there and you can no longer have family gatherings.

  • Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

It’s not possible to go to the hairdressers here now, all have had to close. 

We got told tonight we can go but only for 30 min appointments so no more colours.


If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bobj said:

A big day, shopping and getting enough out of the bank to last a couple of months...Bank rang up saying that certain accounts will be closed for a while. Went to buy a block of shares and told.to hold off as prices are still falling.

A huge parcel arrived and spent ages trying to unwrap it, then put the goodies away, tinned and pkt food. Poor bloke who delivered it musta got a hernia! It weighed several kg.

And due to all that, forgot Rob’s birthday, @Cerberus1A happy, if belated birthday, Rob.

Cheers, Bobj.

 

I thought you were going to say “Went to buy a block of LAND” for a second and I thought you had bought yourself a nice little camping spot up the top end with the Barra 😂 At least with the parcel you have camping food 🥘 

 

  • Haha 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tonyman said:

Partner started working from home today for next 6 months!
I'm trying to get as much work in as posible but have just found out I have another hernia........
Partners son has been told to take two days off school with a possibility of not returning at all......

What are you doing now @tonyman

  • Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well today my darling son finally finished a path through our 40 acres to the fire track at the back of our property. I am so happy, it’s the first time in many years that I’ve been able to get to the bottom of the garden. 
‘I can now choose many different paths when walking the other dogs. This last two days my shadow has been sat giving orders whilst I’ve been in the deck chair as middle management and my poor son is the labourer. If you look at what he has had to clear it’s amazing. One tree, although it was thin must have been well over 50ft tall.

Ps forgot to say we didn’t have a working chainsaw or hedge trimmer so it was by hand.

90C2BD53-470E-48B5-924A-7E4A4E4AC226.jpeg

 

FA6B6025-2703-490E-AE68-8F49148240F3.jpeg

 

A6A7743A-DEE8-470D-B8C5-C7B0DE2E3C1A.jpeg

 

CECD036E-C8C4-4DC7-B0B3-0A540F51D273.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 4

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my new track. It takes me a long time to reach the bottom so I’ve put it on fast forward 

 

  • Like 6

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

Well today my darling son finally finished a path through our 40 acres to the fire track at the back of our property. I am so happy, it’s the first time in many years that I’ve been able to get to the bottom of the garden. 
‘I can now choose many different paths when walking the other dogs. This last two days my shadow has been sat giving orders whilst I’ve been in the deck chair as middle management and my poor son is the labourer. If you look at what he has had to clear it’s amazing. One tree, although it was thin must have been well over 50ft tall.

Ps forgot to say we didn’t have a working chainsaw or hedge trimmer so it was by hand.

90C2BD53-470E-48B5-924A-7E4A4E4AC226.jpeg

 

FA6B6025-2703-490E-AE68-8F49148240F3.jpeg

 

A6A7743A-DEE8-470D-B8C5-C7B0DE2E3C1A.jpeg

 

CECD036E-C8C4-4DC7-B0B3-0A540F51D273.jpeg

 

 

Most of that lot is black wattle. Hope that bloodnut didn't get spiked too often by the dead twigs.

Cheers, Bobj.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

We got told tonight we can go but only for 30 min appointments so no more colours.

That seems a bit strange. 30 mins is plenty of time to catch the virus. Seems no different than going for a 30 minute drink in the pub. I guess they can try and sit people a distance away from each other in the salon but you’ve still got the hairdresser themselves being inches away from you just like they’ve been with every other customer.  Think I’d stay away. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×