Applying for PR through ENS - Laid Off - COVID-19

SophXSydney

re: COVID-19 LAY-OFFS and Permanent Residency VISA applications

- For context, we have been in Australia for over 6yrs - Originally from the UK. 

I was wondering if anyone can give us some advice?

My partner had several people laid-off from his workplace this week due to COVID-19 and the company is getting into financial difficulties because of this virus. My partner has completed the 2 years of work in this job - so he is eligible to apply for PR (186 visa) from now. HOWEVER. Our worries are that his employer will no longer be able to pay for this visa to be processed due to the current climate. 

What are our options if this is the case? 

Can we offer to pay for the visa if they agree to lodge it on our behalf?

Will there be any 'special circumstances' allowed in cases like this where there are people that ARE eligible but the Employer can no longer afford it?

- On a separate note, they have all received substantial pay cuts because of COVID-19. Does anyone know the legalities behind this? / How long an employer can cut pay/ what documentation we should be provided around this? 

Thank you to all that give advice and help and to those in a similar position - you are not alone! 

14 hours ago, SophXSydney said:

Can we offer to pay for the visa if they agree to lodge it on our behalf?

For a 186, you can pay for everything except the training levy.

Will there be any 'special circumstances' allowed in cases like this where there are people that ARE eligible but the Employer can no longer afford it?

This is uncertain at the moment. One of the requirements for the 186 is that the position must be available for at least 2 years. Time will tell how lenient the Government is due to this crisis.

- On a separate note, they have all received substantial pay cuts because of COVID-19. Does anyone know the legalities behind this? / How long an employer can cut pay/ what documentation we should be provided around this? 

This is also still uncertain. We have asked the Government to introduce concession so sponsors and sponsored staff are not in breach for reducing salaries and hours. We will see if this is adopted, but nothing yet.

i am on the 187 RSMS in regional QLD. I was made redundant on the 20th March. I have worked for the company for 2 years, but once the PR was granted only 8 months (i have not completed 2 years) . Will my PR be cancelled ? Just want some reassurance at this difficult time, when we are all down mentally. Thanks 

i am on the 187 RSMS in regional QLD. I was made redundant on the 20th March. I have worked for the company for 2 years, but once the PR was granted only 8 months (i have not completed 2 years) . Will my PR be cancelled ? Just want some reassurance at this difficult time, when we are all down mentally. Thanks 
I would like to know too.

And will we be eligible for centrelink benefits??

I would like to know too.

And will we be eligible for centrelink benefits??

Ordinarily there are waiting periods for residents who are not citizens.
Check the CentreLink website-for Jobseekers I believe it says you must have been resident and in Australia at least 4 years to be eligible.
But who knows how they will deal with it under the current circumstances.

Ordinarily there are waiting periods for residents who are not citizens.
Check the CentreLink website-for Jobseekers I believe it says you must have been resident and in Australia at least 4 years to be eligible.
But who knows how they will deal with it under the current circumstances.

It does seem as though they might be waiving waiting periods. It was on 7 News tonight, the head of Centrelink was talking about it.