Bridging Visa

KGWragg

Hello.

you helped us before we came to Australia and again this was appreciated.

we would be grateful if you could advise on the following. I am Aged 75 in the UK was registered Disabled, I have severe lung problems, along with Rheumatoid Arthritis, my wife also has health issues, I have been given a Blue Disabled Badge because of my condition. We have been told we are not entitled to a concession card for 2 years, we arrived in December 2018. Last week our scrips for the month cost $195, the 1 hour shopping break for Seniors/ Disabled was only for people having got a concession card, my wife wanted to shop during this period to cut down the risk to me with being in crowds, I am considered high risk. Scott Morrison has said we are all in this together, but we feel we are being left out, we purchased a property, we have had 1st class help from everyone, we have been welcomed, we are not looking for handouts but feel because of this Corona Virus situation that we are all in we should be considered for this concession card, it would mean so much to us, hope you can advise.

K.G.Wragg.

32 minutes ago, KGWragg said:

Hello.

you helped us before we came to Australia and again this was appreciated.

we would be grateful if you could advise on the following. I am Aged 75 in the UK was registered Disabled, I have severe lung problems, along with Rheumatoid Arthritis, my wife also has health issues, I have been given a Blue Disabled Badge because of my condition. We have been told we are not entitled to a concession card for 2 years, we arrived in December 2018. Last week our scrips for the month cost $195, the 1 hour shopping break for Seniors/ Disabled was only for people having got a concession card, my wife wanted to shop during this period to cut down the risk to me with being in crowds, I am considered high risk. Scott Morrison has said we are all in this together, but we feel we are being left out, we purchased a property, we have had 1st class help from everyone, we have been welcomed, we are not looking for handouts but feel because of this Corona Virus situation that we are all in we should be considered for this concession card, it would mean so much to us, hope you can advise.

K.G.Wragg.

To the best of my knowledge you aren’t restricted to having a concession card to go shopping for the 1 hour shopping break. Please check this out. I think a seniors card is accepted? We haven’t been stopped from shopping during the shopping break as sadly it is obvious we are of the accepted age group.. I don’t know where you live, but on the Sunshine Coast, we have not had to show any identification at all.

Hope this helps, keep safe xM

ps sorry I don’t know what visa you are on if you are on a bridging visa? but I really don’t think you would be turned away from the shop if obviously in the age group. You could always ring your local supermarket .

Woolworths has a priority assistance program you can sign up for, again worth checking out.

Edited by ramot

3 minutes ago, ramot said:

To the best of my knowledge you aren’t restricted to having a concession card to go shopping for the 1 hour shopping break. Please check this out. I think a seniors card is accepted?

You are right, but people on temporary or bridging visas aren't entitled to a Senior's Card either. 

In Melbourne, perhaps because numbers are larger, we had to show our cards on entry.

Edited by Marisawright

7 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

You are right, but people on temporary or bridging visas aren't entitled to a Senior's Card either. 

In Melbourne, perhaps because numbers are larger, we had to show our cards on entry.

Whoops we have always had a seniors card from day one. Don’t tell anyone!!  Not easy for people who are here in their elderly years, but not entitled to help, very worrying. Glad I insisted on us getting PR, my husband was very against it, thought it was totally unnecessary as we were ‘safe’ here on our visa.i insisted better safe than sorry..

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, KGWragg said:

Last week our scrips for the month cost $195

Were you not aware of this before you decided to apply onshore for the visa?

The reason the Contributory Parents' Visa is so expensive is to compensate for the high medical costs associated with old age.  I came to Australia in the 1980's and I've contributed 35 years of taxes into the system.  A British parent arriving on a Parent Visa hasn't contributed a cent to the system, but will be entitled to all the same benefits as me - so it's only fair they put some money in the pot (in the form of the visa fees). 

By making the choice to apply onshore, you were able to avoid that contribution - but having done so, it's not reasonable to expect to get the benefits.   You are lucky that as a British person, you can access most of Medicare at the same level as Australians - and frankly, I think you're very lucky that you're going to get a concession card eventually, considering you have bypassed the aforesaid contribution.

Applying onshore for a parent visa is perfectly legal, but it has its disadvantages.  I'm sorry if you weren't fully informed about what those were before you moved, but you've been here long enough now to discover all the downsides. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, ramot said:

To the best of my knowledge you aren’t restricted to having a concession card to go shopping for the 1 hour shopping break. Please check this out. I think a seniors card is accepted? We haven’t been stopped from shopping during the shopping break as sadly it is obvious we are of the accepted age group.. I don’t know where you live, but on the Sunshine Coast, we have not had to show any identification at all.

Hope this helps, keep safe xM

ps sorry I don’t know what visa you are on if you are on a bridging visa? but I really don’t think you would be turned away from the shop if obviously in the age group. You could always ring your local supermarket .

Woolworths has a priority assistance program you can sign up for, again worth checking out.

Thank you for your reply. We do have our seniors card! so we will be using this, thank you again for you reply. Kindest Regards. KGW

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Were you not aware of this before you decided to apply onshore for the visa?

The reason the Contributory Parents' Visa is so expensive is to compensate for the high medical costs associated with old age.  I came to Australia in the 1980's and I've contributed 35 years of taxes into the system.  A British parent arriving on a Parent Visa hasn't contributed a cent to the system, but will be entitled to all the same benefits as me - so it's only fair they put some money in the pot (in the form of the visa fees). 

By making the choice to apply onshore, you were able to avoid that contribution - but having done so, it's not reasonable to expect to get the benefits.   You are lucky that as a British person, you can access most of Medicare at the same level as Australians - and frankly, I think you're very lucky that you're going to get a concession card eventually, considering you have bypassed the aforesaid contribution.

Applying onshore for a parent visa is perfectly legal, but it has its disadvantages.  I'm sorry if you weren't fully informed about what those were before you moved, but you've been here long enough now to discover all the downsides. 

Thank you for your reply, I did ask your advice before coming to Aus and I was grateful for all the information you gave, but like others we have our Seniors Cards, we again do not look for handouts, but came to enjoy our remaining years joining our only daughter and Grandson, we are using Seniors card to shop in the hour for Seniors. Good to hear from you again. KGW.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ramot said:

Whoops we have always had a seniors card from day one. Don’t tell anyone!!  Not easy for people who are here in their elderly years, but not entitled to help, very worrying. Glad I insisted on us getting PR, my husband was very against it, thought it was totally unnecessary as we were ‘safe’ here on our visa.i insisted better safe than sorry..

Again we have like many others on Bridging Visas got our Seniors Card. Regards. KGW

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KGWragg said:

Thank you for your reply, I did ask your advice before coming to Aus and I was grateful for all the information you gave, but like others we have our Seniors Cards, we again do not look for handouts, but came to enjoy our remaining years joining our only daughter and Grandson, we are using Seniors card to shop in the hour for Seniors. Good to hear from you again. KGW.

In that case, you just need to show your Seniors Card on entry to the supermarket.