Borders closed to all non permanent residents or citizens

KangaKit

50 minutes ago, KangaKit said:

I'm guessing that visa holders on provisional visas such as 491  and temporary visas will not be allowed in until after the blockade is lifted?

I don't know the answer but I have a supplementary question.

Does a 190 holder who as yet hasn't landed since the grant count as a PR in terms of arriving or do they only count as a PR if its already been activated through a prior "first landing"?

I don't know the answer but I have a supplementary question.
Does a 190 holder who as yet hasn't landed since the grant count as a PR in terms of arriving or do they only count as a PR if its already been activated through a prior "first landing"?

Exactly the same for us, we plan to go in September but they run out in November, we can’t hand notice in or sort out our house or shipping unless we know for sure we’ll get in.

20 minutes ago, North to South said:

Same - Our 190 visas have been activated, but we’re not residing in Australia and scheduled to move in July and not sure if we’re covered under the PR statement.  Hoping a visa expert might be able to assist us all.

I'm no expert, but as they are activated you are holding a valid an active PR status so would think you are OK.

I'm just not sure if a 190 is a PR status once granted or only once activated

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

I'm no expert, but as they are activated you are holding a valid an active PR status so would think you are OK.

I'm just not sure if a 190 is a PR status once granted or only once activated

I’d like to know the same. 
Do you think they’ll focus priority approving 491s if they’re not able to enter also. 

8 hours ago, KangaKit said:

I'm guessing that visa holders on provisional visas such as 491  and temporary visas will not be allowed in until after the blockade is lifted?

Correct unless you are already a resident of Australia you will not be able to enter even if you hold a visa.

3 hours ago, Parley said:

Correct unless you are already a resident of Australia you will not be able to enter even if you hold a visa.

I think that's a big assumption.  I'm sure all the migration agents are scrambling to get the detailed wording from Immigration and will be posting soon to clarify the situation for those who haven't activated their visas yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I think that's a big assumption.  I'm sure all the migration agents are scrambling to get the detailed wording from Immigration and will be posting soon to clarify the situation for those who haven't activated their visas yet. 

I wouldn't call it an assumption. I heard it on the news.

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

Are they turning flights back?  Just thinking of people who are en route and maybe in Dubai etc waiting for connecting flights. 

That is why they made it effective from 9pm tonight so people boarding any flight know the situation.

I assume the airlines are preventing people from boarding otherwise they get fines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

Are they turning flights back?  Just thinking of people who are en route and maybe in Dubai etc waiting for connecting flights. 

No, they're not turning flights back, but there are indeed people stuck en route, because their connecting flight got cancelled before they could get on it.  There was someone on the news this morning who was on holiday elsewhere in South America, got as far as Lima and is now stuck. 

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

You heard the press release wording.  I'm sure there will be more detailed wording that covers all the small print, which we don't know yet.

The ban applies to temporary residents trying to return to Australia or come to Australia.

Unfortunately they won't be allowed in.

The ban is obviously in place to avoid importing more corona virus cases from places like the UK and Europe.

Edited by Parley

20 minutes ago, Parley said:

The ban applies to temporary residents trying to return to Australia or come to Australia.

Unfortunately they won't be allowed in.

The ban is obviously in place to avoid importing more corona virus cases from places like the UK and Europe.

I know that.  But 489 and 491 visas are not temporary visas, they are provisional visas.  

I think they just haven't thought it through yet and there will be more detail coming out soon.  They've already said that those with temporary partner visas will be allowed in, for instance, and that wasn't mentioned on the TV.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I know that.  But 489 and 491 visas are not temporary visas, they are provisional visas.  

I think they just haven't thought it through yet and there will be more detail coming out soon.  They've already said that those with temporary partner visas will be allowed in, for instance, and that wasn't mentioned on the TV.

Relieved we got PR last year and not on the long term 410 retirement visa any more. Wonder what the 410 and 405 visas holders  are considered as? Many have lived here for well over 30 years, have the right to live here but are on temporary visas.hope none are overseas.

• Like 1

There was a call held between various industry groups and the relevant minister to discuss visa implications of the “ban” and on this matter we were informed that people “who have been granted a permanent visa offshore are still permitted to enter Australia, even where they have not previously been to this country.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, paulhand said:

There was a call held between various industry groups and the relevant minister to discuss visa implications of the “ban” and on this matter we were informed that people “who have been granted a permanent visa offshore are still permitted to enter Australia, even where they have not previously been to this country.”

But this doesn’t include 491 and 489 visa holders, does it?

Paul do you know if you have not activated a PR 100 visa yet whether they will be extendng the first enter by date in the current situation?

Have flights booked for a week stay beginning of April but we are advised not to leave the UK atm. Assume it would need to be a minimum stay of 14 days now anyway to self isolate before returning home as am just looking to activate visa initially

2 hours ago, Heading4Tassie said:

Paul do you know if you have not activated a PR 100 visa yet whether they will be extendng the first enter by date in the current situation?

Have flights booked for a week stay beginning of April but we are advised not to leave the UK atm. Assume it would need to be a minimum stay of 14 days now anyway to self isolate before returning home as am just looking to activate visa initially

You should email the area that processed your visa and request an extension.

Guest The Pom Queen

@paulhand a quick one for the backpackers on one of our other groups, if they are still in the country I believe most flights are grounded (from the ones who have tried to get home), will their visas automatically extend past the expiry date and those on their first year will they still have to do the farm work?

My personal thought is that if there are no flights back the government have no choice but to extend their visa and cannot insist on farm work.

There may have been an announcement I’ve missed on this today. So apologies if it’s been covered.

5 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

@paulhand a quick one for the backpackers on one of our other groups, if they are still in the country I believe most flights are grounded (from the ones who have tried to get home), will their visas automatically extend past the expiry date and those on their first year will they still have to do the farm work?

My personal thought is that if there are no flights back the government have no choice but to extend their visa and cannot insist on farm work.

There may have been an announcement I’ve missed on this today. So apologies if it’s been covered.

It isn’t legally possible to extend visas, so if anyone has a visa that is expiring they will need to apply for another visa to remain legal in Australia. The applicant must be eligible for the visa they apply for. So, if they have done the farm work and want to apply for a 2nd WHV, that’s fine. If they have not done the farm work, they are not legally eligible for a second working holiday visa and will need to apply for (usually) a visitor visa, with its associated conditions. The Department has indicated that it will take a ‘light touch’ approach to onshore visitor visa applications in this environment. 

30 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

I believe most flights are grounded (from the ones who have tried to get home),

This is true, but there are still seats for those who actually want them, at least for the next few days. I flew back to the uk from Australia yesterday and the flight was half empty, so it is currently possible. Qantas will be flying until 30th March is my understanding. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paulhand said:

They are not permanent visas.

@paulhand, but they're not temporary either, they're provisional.   The advice on the Immi page is that people who can't travel on temporary visas will need to apply for a new one when the emergency is over, which would seem a bit harsh on 491 holders, who have to jump through the same hoops as a PR visa applicant.