Australia Closing Borders

North to South

Hi,

‘With the announcement that Australia is to close its borders to all non residents, does that mean people with perm residency who are not yet resident, but about to move will be denied entry ?

i know this is new news and is a solid step to fight this virus and protect us all which we shouldn’t question, but would appreciate any guidance as I’m sure this will impact more than a few people, me included.

Edited by North to South

Hi,
‘With the announcement that Australia is to close its borders to all non residents, does that mean people with perm residency who are not yet resident, but about to move will be denied entry ?
i know this is new news, but would appreciate any guidance as I’m sure this will impact more than a few people, me included.

Yes with the announcement only Citizens and Permanent Residents allowed in

Where does this leave all those on other visa’s , bridging etc

Does anyone know ?

Hi, I’ve read it says Perm Residents, but are they distinguishing between those who have already resided in Australia and returning versus those who are about to enter and take up residency ?

I’ve tried to look but found nothing concrete

We’re in Australia so all fine but on 489 visa going onto a Bridging Visa from 8th April

As so far been waiting 13 months since PR applied for

We’re ok but both have elderly parents in the UK what if you need to go back ( at some point ) not just a holiday but worse case scenarios

There must be others currently outside Australia who are not sure about this
Also relatives they may have concerns about

Maybe an migration agent on here can help

Tasmania has effectively shut its borders to non-residents by introducing a two-week quarantine period for anyone arriving in the state, with an exception for those providing goods and essential services during the coronavirus pandemic.

The premier Peter Gutwein, announced the extraordinary response this morning as he declared a state of emergency in a bid to slow the spread of the virus. From 12.01am Saturday, all non-essential travellers arriving in the island state would be required to self-isolate for 14 days, with penalties for those who did not comply of up to six months in jail or a fine of up to $16,800.

Gutwein said it meant the island state would have the “toughest border measures in the country” and the measures would last “for as long as needed”.

Edited by Toots

6 hours ago, North to South said:

Hi, I’ve read it says Perm Residents, but are they distinguishing between those who have already resided in Australia and returning versus those who are about to enter and take up residency ?

I'm in a situation similar to this. We originally planned to move to Australia from London in May. Yesterday we bought more airline tickets to fly next week and woke up this morning to find only citizens and residents will be allowed to enter Australia. I spoke to my migration agent this morning and she seemed to think that I would be okay to enter given that I'm travelling with my partner who is an Australian citizen and I've been granted a 100 parter visa giving permanent residence. I'm waiting for confirmation on this though.

On the other hand, after searching on the internet I found this ...

What’s important to realise, is that you are NOT a permanent or provisional resident of Australia UNTIL you activate the visa – so there is a vulnerable period of time before first entry!

From our very recent experience ( today) they will not let anyone in unless you have an Australian passport or can prove that you live here already ( driver's licence, medicare card). They ring up the embassy to check even if you are a perm. resident on a different passport.

9 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

From our very recent experience ( today) they will not let anyone in unless you have an Australian passport or can prove that you live here already ( driver's licence, medicare card). They ring up the embassy to check even if you are a perm. resident on a different passport.

Bet you are glad to be home.

We had planned to return in May but have decided to stay put for a while here in the UK. Whilst we are Aussie citizens, we don't have a base to return to (we sold & went travelling) and I think self isolating would be very difficult right now.

But, as soon as that 14 day isolation directive is lifted, we'll be in on a plane back, well, that's the plan but this may go on for months.

On 19/03/2020 at 23:52, MrFancyMan said:

I'm in a situation similar to this. We originally planned to move to Australia from London in May. Yesterday we bought more airline tickets to fly next week and woke up this morning to find only citizens and residents will be allowed to enter Australia. I spoke to my migration agent this morning and she seemed to think that I would be okay to enter given that I'm travelling with my partner who is an Australian citizen and I've been granted a 100 parter visa giving permanent residence. I'm waiting for confirmation on this though.

On the other hand, after searching on the internet I found this ...

See the comments from @paulhand in this thread

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/210230-borders-closed-to-all-non-permanent-residents-or-citizens/

we were informed that people “who have been granted a permanent visa offshore are still permitted to enter Australia, even where they have not previously been to this country.”

27 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

See the comments from @paulhand in this thread

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/210230-borders-closed-to-all-non-permanent-residents-or-citizens/

we were informed that people “who have been granted a permanent visa offshore are still permitted to enter Australia, even where they have not previously been to this country.”

Great news. Thanks @Nemesis