Anyone live in Narooma NSW

Angiebaby

No, but it's a nice enough little place, fun to watch the seals at the opening. Small NSW country town with all that implies, lots of tourists and I should imagine a fairly cliquey local mob.  Lots of retirement places down that part of the coast.

• Thanks 1

For information on any town or city in Australia you can go to the Australian Census 2016. The 2016 census data provides a comprehensive "picture"of each town or city, by providing said town or city with its own individual report based upon common criteria.  This means that you can compare any town or city in terms of employment, demographics, languages spoken etc etc against the state or national average. It sounds daunting but within five to ten minutes you can derive a fair picture of the particular town of city, and how that town or city compares to the rest of the state and to the rest of Australia. It is easy to read.

For instance . The median population age in NSW and Australia at the 2016 census was 38. In Narooma however the median age was 57. Already a picture starting to form, namely that Narooma is a seaside retirement town. To assist I can provide the following short summary for Narooma where, in particular, the census data shows significant departure from state averages.

These are that Narooma has a high proportion of senior citizen couples. Emploment favours trade and technical workers as well as labourers and far less so in terms of professionals. Employment tends to be in local services such as accommodation, aged care and supermarkets. The income for individual citizens is lagging compared to the state average , however the household income is significantly lower than other places. Public transport is either non-existent or suffering low participation.  Narooma has a fairly high level of unoccupied dwellings. This could be caused by too high property prices, or it could mean that people are moving out of Narooma. Overall Narooma sounds like a whole lot of other towns in NSW, but it has the benefit of its location.

Go to this link for 2016 Census Data - Narooma:

https://quickstats.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2016/quickstat/SSC12900

Similar information for all towns and cities in Australia can be accessed simply by searching on Google for Australian Census 2016  quickstats and then just add the name of the town or city to the search,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I live just south of Narooma. It’s the biggest town in our area and where I go to do shopping, see doctors etc. My husbands family has lived in or around Narooma since the area was first settled. It’s a beautiful place that is swamped with tourists in the warmer months but lots of people visit on weekends as well. The ‘empty houses’ Dusty Plains mentioned are holiday homes owned by people mainly from Canberra and Sydney. There doesn’t seem to be much crime and it’s pretty friendly although it can take a while to make friends if you keep to yourself. If you join the local clubs like surf lifesaving or volunteer firefighting etc you’ll be accepted and made to feel welcome. The golf course is gorgeous and follows the cliffs around the beach. When whales migrate you can see them from the golf course and areas around there. The schools are good especially the primary school. Shops are basic but you can get everything you need. We go to Canberra regularly for the weekend if we want a major shopping hit or want to see the ballet etc. It’s about 3 hr drive but it’s a pretty drive and doesn’t seem that far now I’m used to it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Angiebaby said:

Hi Booma

Thanks for the reply , where exactly are you?

Well I don’t want to say exactly where I am on the internet but I live on a property roughly 30 mins south of Narooma. The closest township to our place is Bermagui but it’s more straight forward to drive from our place to Narooma than to go to Bermagui. I don’t know if you have ventured down this way yet but driving into Bermagui involves crossing a lot of one way bridges and it’s easy to get stuck behind slow moving traffic. It’s a nice drive though if you aren’t in a hurry and the town is very pretty so you should definitely visit if you haven’t been already. 

• Like 1