You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Shaan

Visitor visa 600: Length of Stay waiver Covid

Hi fellow mates, I have a situation: My parents are in Australia under visa 600, they were granted that visa for a year with maximum stay 6 months per entry.
To comply with max. 6 months stay, we already booked flights for Kuala Lumpur. But now worried about all these travel bans and about the exposition of the virus.
Is there any way that the condition of 'max. stay' could be flexed? or any other ways to deal with the situation? - please advise!

Where is home for your parents?  Countries are allowing citizens and residents to return, even if they have to self isolate. 

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

We are from Bangladesh. Yes, they can return to Bangladesh, but we don't want to take that risk of going to the airport and boarding to planes, etc.

AFAIK, Immigration is more concerned about people keeping to the conditions of their visas vs. whether they're nervous of being exposed to the virus at the airport or on a flight.  If they were unable to leave because they became too ill to travel, then I believe that's considered a valid reason to waive a No Further Stay condition and apply for a medical care visa.  But if it's simply a matter of their visitor visa period expiring, then they need to leave Australia to avoid an overstay.

There is no ability under the current legislation to "extend" a visa. The Department's advice on this is that all visa holders onshore should apply for an "appropriate" visa, which would likely be another visitor visa. If there is a no further stay condition on the current visa that needs to be waived first, and the Department says it will take a "flexible approach" to this. They have diverted additional resources to handling these requests.

• Like 1

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. 

Thanks all for the information. We decided to reapply for the visitor visa for my parents, which if approved would let them stay another 3 or 6 months without traveling outside.