Visitor visa 600: Length of Stay waiver Covid

Shaan

Hi fellow mates, I have a situation: My parents are in Australia under visa 600, they were granted that visa for a year with maximum stay 6 months per entry.
To comply with max. 6 months stay, we already booked flights for Kuala Lumpur. But now worried about all these travel bans and about the exposition of the virus.
Is there any way that the condition of 'max. stay' could be flexed? or any other ways to deal with the situation? - please advise!

AFAIK, Immigration is more concerned about people keeping to the conditions of their visas vs. whether they're nervous of being exposed to the virus at the airport or on a flight.  If they were unable to leave because they became too ill to travel, then I believe that's considered a valid reason to waive a No Further Stay condition and apply for a medical care visa.  But if it's simply a matter of their visitor visa period expiring, then they need to leave Australia to avoid an overstay.

There is no ability under the current legislation to "extend" a visa. The Department's advice on this is that all visa holders onshore should apply for an "appropriate" visa, which would likely be another visitor visa. If there is a no further stay condition on the current visa that needs to be waived first, and the Department says it will take a "flexible approach" to this. They have diverted additional resources to handling these requests.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 17/03/2020 at 13:36, Shaan said:

Thanks all for the information. We decided to reapply for the visitor visa for my parents, which if approved would let them stay another 3 or 6 months without traveling outside. 

Hi Shaan, did you end up applying for an extension? Were you granted an extension? Hope it all worked out for you.  In the same boat as you and would like to extend visitor visa for my parents. If approved, what reason/documents did you need to provide? Would really appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 17/03/2020 at 11:36, Shaan said:

Thanks all for the information. We decided to reapply for the visitor visa for my parents, which if approved would let them stay another 3 or 6 months without traveling outside. 

Hi Shaan

Have you had success in extending the visa for your parents? i am planning to do it for my parents 

On 14/05/2020 at 20:19, dj cat 5 said:

Hi Shaan, did you end up applying for an extension? Were you granted an extension? Hope it all worked out for you.  In the same boat as you and would like to extend visitor visa for my parents. If approved, what reason/documents did you need to provide? Would really appreciate any info you can provide.

15 hours ago, rebejes3 said:

Have you had success in extending the visa for your parents? i am planning to do it for my parents 

As per previous replies to this post, there is no extending of the visa.

A new application is required to be lodged to remain lawful. If a valid application is made, a bridging visa is granted to allow the applicant to remain in the country, while a decision is made on the new visa application.

People stuck here on visitor visas is quite a common scenario at the moment and many are applying for new visitor visas to extend their stay.

• Like 1