prescriptions

belter

58 minutes ago, belter said:

Just clarifying, having done a bit of googling. Do you pay $41 for each prescription medication? Is it the same for kids? 

Thanks in advance

Depends on the medication.  If it's listed on the PBS you either pay the cost of the medication or $41, which ever is lower.  So, for instance my OH's tablets cost us about $7 for each prescription but the tablets he was on before that cost over $60 purchased privately but they are listed on the PBS so we paid $41 for them.  It's worth shopping around as some chemists charge less than others for the same medications.  

• Thanks 1

My asthma puffer used to cost me $35 per prescription, and I used one a month.  Now I'm over 65 I'm eligible for the "safety net", which means that once I've spent a certain annual figure, all my prescriptions cost $5 for the rest of the year.

I think there is a Safety Net for families too, but you'd need to look into it.  It doesn't happen automatically, you have to apply for it.

• Thanks 1

And you frequently get offered a cheaper, generic version of your medication by the pharmacist.

They always cost less than the branded version so worth taking up, if available.

My OH has a Commonwealth Seniors Health card and all his scripts are currently $6.60 each, so it's well worth having if you qualify for it.

Edited by NickyNook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same drug can be a different price depending on chemist though.  Chemist Wharehouse is usually cheap and you can look on line.  OH scrip costs $5.60 there but local chemist wanted $15.30!  Now I don’t mind paying a bit extra for local convenience but that is a rip off.  However if you are prepared to ask they will price match!  
That annoys me too as many people are too shy or embarrassed to ask or simply assume that is the going rate.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

If you go to Chemist Warehouse and type the name of your drug in to the search it will give you the price https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au

An example is this. Some medications may be used off label so your Dr may know of new studies showing that a certain drug works but that drug may be only prescribed for certain conditions. If your Dr is using it off label then they will have to issue a private script so in this case the price is $202.99 per month.  Now if it was treating a prescribed condition you would get it at the PBS price of $40. Now the concession price is usually if you have a healthcare card, so low income family, pensioner, disability etc. I need to try and get one myself.

The Safety Net, I’m not sure why it’s showing as zero, like @Marisawright said it’s usually the same price as concession $5.60. 

E606A66F-6D21-4259-854E-00C0E9B86CB4.png

7 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

If you go to Chemist Warehouse and type the name of your drug in to the search it will give you the price https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au

An example is this. Some medications may be used off label so your Dr may know of new studies showing that a certain drug works but that drug may be only prescribed for certain conditions. If your Dr is using it off label then they will have to issue a private script so in this case the price is $202.99 per month.  Now if it was treating a prescribed condition you would get it at the PBS price of $40. Now the concession price is usually if you have a healthcare card, so low income family, pensioner, disability etc. I need to try and get one myself.

The Safety Net, I’m not sure why it’s showing as zero, like @Marisawright said it’s usually the same price as concession $5.60. 

E606A66F-6D21-4259-854E-00C0E9B86CB4.png

$6.50 concession here.