Newly Qualified 47 year old Occupational Therapist looking for visa help to Regional NSW

JasminD

I have just completed my Occupational Therapist Degree in the U.K and simultaneously met my future husband in Orange NSW :). I am 47 and it appears that my age works against me WRT work visas. 

Is there anyone who could advise me what my options are? 

Many thanks

Jasmin

4 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

Partner visa or prospective marriage visa maybe? I don’t know the details of these but others on here including some agents will be able to advise. 🙂

Thanks Amber. We have done a bit of reading on those options but honestly I'm even more confused after reading lol. I'm hoping someone on here will be able to shed some light on the subject! 🙂

As WRussell says, the easiest option is to have an initial consultation with a good migration agent (he is one).  All the reputable agents will give you a first consult free of charge.

The cutoff for most visas is 45 - there are very few exceptions and none which would help you.

The problem might be that there is no visa available for couples who are just dating, except to get repeated tourist visas to visit each other. 

There is a prospective marriage visa (PMV) for those who are ready to marry soon.  You apply for the visa and then you have to travel to Australia and get married, and then in due course, you go through the whole visa process again to apply for a partner visa. 

The partner visa is for couples who are already married or de facto. De facto means living together in the equivalent of marriage.  To be eligible for the visa, you must have been de facto for at least 12 months.  You don't have to be living in the same house for all of that time - Immigration recognises that people get posted overseas for work or get separated due to visa problems even when they're married,  However if you have a patchy record of living together and still have separate finances and separate homes, it's going to be very hard to convince Immigration you're a real couple and not just dating - so there is no way I'd attempt that without an agent's support.

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

As WRussell says, the easiest option is to have an initial consultation with a good migration agent (he is one).  All the reputable agents will give you a first consult free of charge.

The cutoff for most visas is 45 - there are very few exceptions and none which would help you.

The problem might be that there is no visa available for couples who are just dating, except to get repeated tourist visas to visit each other. 

There is a prospective marriage visa (PMV) for those who are ready to marry soon.  You apply for the visa and then you have to travel to Australia and get married, and then in due course, you go through the whole visa process again to apply for a partner visa. 

The partner visa is for couples who are already married or de facto. De facto means living together in the equivalent of marriage.  To be eligible for the visa, you must have been de facto for at least 12 months.  You don't have to be living in the same house for all of that time - Immigration recognises that people get posted overseas for work or get separated due to visa problems even when they're married,  However if you have a patchy record of living together and still have separate finances and separate homes, it's going to be very hard to convince Immigration you're a real couple and not just dating - so there is no way I'd attempt that without an agent's support.

Hey Marisawright,

thanks for your advice. 

My fella and I are looking to get married.. and the spouse /partner visa makes sense there. I was looking for an option to get to Australia on a work visa, solely to keep the pressure of our relationship (if you know what I mean?)

7 minutes ago, JasminD said:

Hey Marisawright,

thanks for your advice. 

My fella and I are looking to get married.. and the spouse /partner visa makes sense there. I was looking for an option to get to Australia on a work visa, solely to keep the pressure of our relationship (if you know what I mean?)

Virtually no chance, sorry