Leaving the UK very soon, what do I NEED to bring / do?

scubacam

Hi guys.

Our house sale is about to exchange and we will then be buying our flights to come out to Sydney a month later - eeekkkk.

My question is rather broad but what do you all with your wealth of experience and knowledge recommend to bring with for a smooth transition, for getting a job , Medicare , kids . For example obviously we’ll have our birth certificates and marriage certs, CVs, but anything else important that I won’t kick myself for not having brought or sorted in advance ? Passport pics ? I dunno 🤷🏼‍♀️

We already have our online banking and debit and opus cards. We are on permanent residency visas.

Thank you all xxxx

Very broad question indeed. Obviously make sure you bring ALL your personal affects (DL, Passport, Birth and Mariage etc etc). Of more concern is that you mention 'getting a job'. Have you got a job to come to? How did you get PR without one?

No we don’t have jobs. Husband will look as soon as we exchange on our house so we have an actual date of arrival. I just had a baby so won’t be working yet. We have state sponsored PR due to skill shortage.

Having no job to come to would be my biggest concern. Australia, particularly Sydney is VERY expensive due to the cost of just living [emoji846]
What is your profession that got you in on the skills shortage if I may ask?

Early years teacher [emoji1305]

Certainly a profession in demand. Have you thought more about the regional areas in NSW? Sydney is a BIG place and not one I'd like to live in (we've been in Queensland for 20 yeasr) and there are some lovely regional cities including rural and coastal areas.

On 07/03/2020 at 08:00, BobHatton said:

Have you got a job to come to? How did you get PR without one?

Huh?   You don't need a job to get most PR visas, in fact that would be impossible because no employer is going to wait over a year for those visas to be processed.  The vast majority of migrants arrive with no jobs. 

23 hours ago, scubacam said:

No we don’t have jobs. Husband will look as soon as we exchange on our house so we have an actual date of arrival. I just had a baby so won’t be working yet. We have state sponsored PR due to skill shortage.

Unless your husband has a high level management role, it's very unlikely he'll be able to land a job while he's overseas. 

I'd echo what Bob Hatton said.  Sydney has a spectacular harbour and a vibrant nightlife, but it also has the most expensive housing in Australia by a long chalk.  If you're not able to work for a while, that's going to stretch the budget, so I would be heading for Newcastle, which is about 2 hours' drive from Sydney.  It's the next biggest city so is likely to have the best employment opportunities, and the housing is about half the price. 

51 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Unless your husband has a high level management role, it's very unlikely he'll be able to land a job while he's overseas. 

I'd echo what Bob Hatton said.  Sydney has a spectacular harbour and a vibrant nightlife, but it also has the most expensive housing in Australia by a long chalk.  If you're not able to work for a while, that's going to stretch the budget, so I would be heading for Newcastle, which is about 2 hours' drive from Sydney.  It's the next biggest city so is likely to have the best employment opportunities, and the housing is about half the price. 

And it’s a better place to live.  Better beaches, wineries, vibrant food scene etc.  

• Like 1

Certainly a profession in demand. Have you thought more about the regional areas in NSW? Sydney is a BIG place and not one I'd like to live in (we've been in Queensland for 20 yeasr) and there are some lovely regional cities including rural and coastal areas.

Hi
We are heading to the northern beaches first, we like central coast too . Air b&b first and then a rental within the budget. We’ve never visited the rest of Australia but will take the time to do so but my son needs to start school in January next year so not a huge amount of time to look around

Huh?   You don't need a job to get most PR visas, in fact that would be impossible because no employer is going to wait over a year for those visas to be processed.  The vast majority of migrants arrive with no jobs. 

Yes exactly . We were even told by an employment agency, not to bother applying for jobs until we know an arrival date because we’ll go to the bottom of a pile and won’t be looked at seriously.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, scubacam said:

Hi
We are heading to the northern beaches first, we like central coast too . Air b&b first and then a rental within the budget. We’ve never visited the rest of Australia but will take the time to do so but my son needs to start school in January next year so not a huge amount of time to look around

What does your husband do?

In that case I’d say go for Newcastle as a base - far more liveable  on a single income (unlike Sydney), good schools, and local work available (unlike the Central Coast), plus commuting to Sydney for individual projects is practical (I used to travel from Sydney to Newcastle quite a lot for projects).

In that case I’d say go for Newcastle as a base - far more liveable  on a single income (unlike Sydney), good schools, and local work available (unlike the Central Coast), plus commuting to Sydney for individual projects is practical (I used to travel from Sydney to Newcastle quite a lot for projects).

We didn’t explore Newcastle much so not sure I could start there . I will definitely be working again at some point but maybe not for another year.

Newcastle area is lovely, lots of nice little towns round there. Great beaches too

We really value opinions for areas from Sydney up to Newcastle (we only stayed there for 1 night) and we stayed at Noah’s on the beach and then flew home the next day
I’m a special needs teacher so eventually looking to get back to that.
We are staying in northern beaches in air b&b when we first land and then hopefully use that first month to look for rentals ( we are coming with a dog and two cats *please no mention of whether or not this is a good idea as it’s happening*
We really love the northern beaches, the look (plush green bear avalon) the vibe , eateries and amenities, beaches but Please give recommendation of anything that’s similar and we’ll be making sure we check it out.
Really thankful lovely people xx

We really value opinions for areas from Sydney up to Newcastle (we only stayed there for 1 night) and we stayed at Noah’s on the beach and then flew home the next day
I’m a special needs teacher so eventually looking to get back to that.
We are staying in northern beaches in air b&b when we first land and then hopefully use that first month to look for rentals ( we are coming with a dog and two cats *please no mention of whether or not this is a good idea as it’s happening*
We really love the northern beaches, the look (plush green bear avalon) the vibe , eateries and amenities, beaches but Please give recommendation of anything that’s similar and we’ll be making sure we check it out.
Really thankful lovely people xx

I should add we are keeping the animals in kennels whilst in the air b&b

On 07/03/2020 at 06:47, scubacam said:

Hi guys.

Our house sale is about to exchange and we will then be buying our flights to come out to Sydney a month later - eeekkkk.

My question is rather broad but what do you all with your wealth of experience and knowledge recommend to bring with for a smooth transition, for getting a job , Medicare , kids . For example obviously we’ll have our birth certificates and marriage certs, CVs, but anything else important that I won’t kick myself for not having brought or sorted in advance ? Passport pics ? I dunno 🤷🏼‍♀️

We already have our online banking and debit and opus cards. We are on permanent residency visas.

Thank you all xxxx

Hi we recently moved out to Oz it's very exciting but also very daunting but you will be fine.  My recommendations are All your medical records from your Gp put on a disc with any present prescriptions. I would also say bring enough medication to tide you over.