RTA Exit Condition Reports - from rental property

Juditta

My partner and me took on a six month rental in Queensland, whilst we looked for somewhere to buy in the area, we found a nice house, bought it last week, moved in a couple of days ago.    A few days before exiting our rented property, we were handed a 7-page list, called the Exit Condition Report - general tenancies (form 14a) which is produced by the RTA (Residential Tenancies Authority) from our rental agent of specific things we had to do regarding cleaning the rental property before we left.   This list is Draconian to say the least, and even though we have both rented in the past, we have never had such a intricately detailed document such as this one presented to us.   The demands made on how to clean the house before exiting are lengthy, even down to unscrewing the toilet lid to clean underneath.....plus on top of all these requirements on this list, the rental company are adding their observations, saying we left a cobweb on the window, some weeds in the 'garden' which is really was just a patch of unkempt land, and other such ludicrous things.   We worked like demons to get this property very clean before we left, took photos to prove it, but now we are being harassed by the rental agency (which, by the way, has quite a bad reputation for their belligerent  attitude to tenants on exiting their rental property).  We are told by local people in the know, that this agency hardly ever returns the Bond.....so my question is, is this RTA list of things to be done before exiting a rental house to be followed or is it just a general guide.  We would really appreciate any advice, just so we know where we stand with this situation.    🙂 

Edited by Juditta
explanation

It would have made a lot more sense to have given you the list of things you were required to do BEFORE you exited the rental.  It sounds very nit picky to me but that's the joys of renting.  If nothing was broken or damaged you should get your bond back but who knows how rental agencies work these things out.  Good luck!  😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Juditta said:

Hi Toots, thanks for reply, actually I should have explained better, we were given this list about three days before we left the rental  🙂

A week would have been better   ..................  it  would have given you a lot more time to wade through the 7 page list.  😉  Hope it all works out for you.  What a relief to move into your own home.

The agent relies on tenants meekly paying up, because tenants don't know how the process works, or think it's not worth the hassle. 

Here's the page about bond refunds and how to dispute them if you and the agent can't reach an agreement:

https://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Renting/Ending-a-tenancy/Bond-refunds

I suggest you file a request for a refund.  If they won't refund the money, then they have to go to dispute resolution.  Agents usually charge a fee to go to dispute resolution, so they need to ask the landlord's permission - and many landlords say nah, just pay the bond.    It's worth a try.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've rented a few houses here in QLD over the years and to be honest what you have mentioned is pretty normal from my experience (except for unscrewing the loo lid??? WTH??) .. At the end of the day the new tenants want a clean home to move into and presumably it was clean like this when you moved into it too, so agents expect it to be left in the same condition when you vacate. With the recent rain weeds sprout up in what feels like hours, spray some killer or whipper snip them back and take a date stamped photo, as long as it within a week of you vacating you shouldn't have an issue or be charged for a 'gardener'coming in.

I would definitely not complain UNLESS they have said they are taking x amount from your bond due to A,B,C and you disagree with what theyre saying... If you have done the cleaning and nothing is damaged you should get a full refund anyway (i always have) however if you start complaining no doubt they will nit pick deeper lowering your chances of getting a full refund.

Cal x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for this advice Cal, I think we will do as you say, and not complain, and just keep quiet until we see what this dragon of a rental agent comes back at us with.   Silence is probably the best way to go till she rises up again and has another go.    We left the place as clean as we found it, the 'garden' was a dried up bit of land when we moved in, now it is a mowed green bit of land.   

1 hour ago, Juditta said:

Thank you very much for this advice Cal, I think we will do as you say, and not complain, and just keep quiet until we see what this dragon of a rental agent comes back at us with.   Silence is probably the best way to go till she rises up again and has another go.    We left the place as clean as we found it, the 'garden' was a dried up bit of land when we moved in, now it is a mowed green bit of land.   

Up to you, but I disagree.  You don't want to leave it too long.  You said yourself, this agent plays hardball and they will be hoping you'll say nothing until it's too late to object.  

Personally, I would lodge the request for the bond.  If the agent contacts you to object, just say oops sorry, you're new to the country and someone told you that was what you were supposed to do. Once it's done, there's nothing the agent can do about it.  They'll either have to pay up, or tell the RTA how much they're proposing to withhold and why.   

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Juditta said:

My partner and me took on a six month rental in Queensland, whilst we looked for somewhere to buy in the area, we found a nice house, bought it last week, moved in a couple of days ago.    A few days before exiting our rented property, we were handed a 7-page list, called the Exit Condition Report - general tenancies (form 14a) which is produced by the RTA (Residential Tenancies Authority) from our rental agent of specific things we had to do regarding cleaning the rental property before we left.   This list is Draconian to say the least, and even though we have both rented in the past, we have never had such a intricately detailed document such as this one presented to us.   The demands made on how to clean the house before exiting are lengthy, even down to unscrewing the toilet lid to clean underneath.....plus on top of all these requirements on this list, the rental company are adding their observations, saying we left a cobweb on the window, some weeds in the 'garden' which is really was just a patch of unkempt land, and other such ludicrous things.   We worked like demons to get this property very clean before we left, took photos to prove it, but now we are being harassed by the rental agency (which, by the way, has quite a bad reputation for their belligerent  attitude to tenants on exiting their rental property).  We are told by local people in the know, that this agency hardly ever returns the Bond.....so my question is, is this RTA list of things to be done before exiting a rental house to be followed or is it just a general guide.  We would really appreciate any advice, just so we know where we stand with this situation.    🙂 

Hi Juditta,  can you please let me know the area / agency please ? or send me a private message ?

We're moving back to Queensland soon and will be renting whilst we search to buy, need to avoid that agency I think !

Thank you and hope you are enjoying your new home 😊

It sounds like the list that the agent has given you is not too hard to address. If so then ask for access to the property and clean up the the issues however ludicrous they are. The exit condition report really should be part of the initial contract so that you know what your signing up for.

Most tenants have to stay in the rental market and therefore don't argue however since you've bought a home you can if you chose to.

I don't know the process in QLD but here in VIC if there's no agreement between tenant and agent then the bond with remain with the RTBA indefinitely. This is clearly wrong, there should be a time limit after which the bond is released to the tenant. Tenant then has to apply to VCAT for the bond to be released. Easy enough process, don't be put off.

See if you can find a tenant's association in QLD for advice maybe https://tenantsqld.org.au/

Apply for your bond first (if QLD allows this without REA/Landlord signature). Then the onus is on them to prove their claims. 

This is is pretty typical of REA’s. Even people who pay for a professional end of lease claim, have REA’s saying they will deduct from their bond for cleaning issues. Often you find it is money in the back pocket of the REA’s. 

• Like 2