491 questions

I’m going down the 491 path to Queensland. Everything seems straight forward apart from the fact that we would have to show evidence of assets.

My partner and I don’t have any assets but showing that we have cash in the bank isn’t a problem. Has anybody been through this? Is there a way round it at all?

Also, has anybody ever received an invitation from a state on the 491 and moved/worked elsewhere from that state after visa is granted? And regarding the job situation, you need to make $53,900 per year, do you have to find employment before you go or do you have a period of time to go over there and find work when the visa is granted? 

Cash in the bank is an asset. 
For QLD you will be asked to sign an undertaking to live and work in regional QLD for at least 2 years and they expect you to honour that undertaking. 
Whether you need a job offer to be invited depends on any specific conditions the state has set for your occupation. 

9 hours ago, paulhand said:

Cash in the bank is an asset. 
For QLD you will be asked to sign an undertaking to live and work in regional QLD for at least 2 years and they expect you to honour that undertaking. 
Whether you need a job offer to be invited depends on any specific conditions the state has set for your occupation. 

As Paul says they expect you to work in the regional areas of QLD for the agreed period. 

This is a requirement (whereas for the 190 it is a moral obligation only - although they are apparently becoming more interested in people honouring these commitments too).

The reason is simple:

1) A 190 is a full PR grant - if you didn't honour your obligation the only time it would likely "bite you" is when you want to apply for citizenship. If you are happy to just be PR (and apply for RRV if you need to travel) for the rest of your life then you would probably never hear of the obligation again

2) A 491 is a provisional visa - if you don't meet the requirements of the provisional visa you go home at its end - if you do meet the requirements (of which one is you stayed in a regional location) you can apply to have the provisional visa converted to a permanent one - so if you didn't abide by your side of the agreement I can see them refusing the PR at the end of the process

Really dont worry about regional QLD, quite a few of the postcodes on the list are IMO far from regional, including mine... 2 developing satellite city's minutes away, 45 mins to the center of Brisbane and 50 mins to Gold Coast...it's hardly woop woop,lol

Good luck with everything

Cal x

Thanks everyone, I’ve chosen Queensland as it’s the most likely way of my visa being granted, I would happily stay there anyway.

It’s just in case I can’t find work there. I have family in Perth and there’s a possibility I could have a job lined up there which is also regional. 

37 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Really dont worry about regional QLD, quite a few of the postcodes on the list are IMO far from regional, including mine... 2 developing satellite city's minutes away, 45 mins to the center of Brisbane and 50 mins to Gold Coast...it's hardly woop woop,lol

Good luck with everything

Cal x

Where are you staying in QLD? Can you recommend any good affordable areas for a families

• Like 1

Your best bet to get up the postcode list and type them into Realestate.com to get an idea on rental and purchase costs in varying areas. Theyre are way to many nice areas to list and not too many undesirable areas so just find somewhere that can offer the job opportunities in a reasonable commute and gives you the family atmosphere. You need to think if you want North of Brisbane, sunshine coast or South of Brisbane , Gold Coast to help you narrow down, but that could well be decided by where you can find work.

Cal x