belter

Any vegetarians?

Had my first vegetarian meal today. It actually turned out to be vegan so that's even better. It was butternut squash and thai curry in a potato rosti. It was delicious. At first I was a bit unsure but as I got used to it I really enjoyed it. I feel better too. But I am still hungry¬†ūüėź¬†that's the only thing. Any vegetarians out there give a newbie some advice?

We are not vegetarian but don’t eat a lot of meat and have several meat free meals a week.  It sounds like you were a committed meat eater if that is your first meal without it!

I would start by cutting down the amount of meat to start with and upping the veggie portions.  For example an easy dish is lots of veggies roasted with just a few slices of chorizo and some good bread.  The meat adds flavour but is not the main part of the dish.  We buy one steak between two and slice in onto a big salad with some roasted capsicum and pumpkin on.  Then start to substitute meat for pulses, good cheese and other proteins. I now find I don’t like chilli made with mince and much prefer the black bean version I make.

ensure each meal has protein and carbs to help you feel full.  Brown rice has both and is very filling.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

6 hours ago, belter said:

Had my first vegetarian meal today. It actually turned out to be vegan so that's even better. It was butternut squash and thai curry in a potato rosti. It was delicious. At first I was a bit unsure but as I got used to it I really enjoyed it. I feel better too. But I am still hungry¬†ūüėź¬†that's the only thing. Any vegetarians out there give a newbie some advice?

It sounds as though there was little or no protein in that dish, so that's probably why you're hungry.  People think it's carbs that keep you full, but protein makes you feel fuller for less calories.

I was vegetarian for a while, but I'm just too lazy to stick to it.  You need to plan your meals a bit more carefully to ensure you're getting enough "complete protein", which is especially important if you have children doing it, because they need complete protein for growth.  Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly possible to eat a very healthy, balanced diet as a vegetarian but it takes more forward planning, that's all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I still eat fish 2 or 3 times a week so I'm not a real vegetarian¬†but I never eat beef, pork, lamb or chicken in any shape or form. ¬†I¬†never feel hungry or if I do I just have a piece of fruit. ¬†Every night I have home made soup then a main course then a salad and I do like a nice pudding. ¬†ūüėɬ† Last night I made a rhubarb crumble . ¬†Yum. ¬†Husband still eats meat. ¬†It would be¬†a lot more difficult to be vegan ¬† ............ ¬†that would certainly involve a lot more planning. ¬†I enjoy eggs, dairy products etc.¬† I'd find it hard to¬†give them up.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, belter said:

As a vegetarian for over 30 years (and a vegan for 15 of those - not anymore, though) I'd echo what the the others said above protein. Some lentils or chickpeas would probably have filled you up a bit more. If you are  planning on getting your protein from meat substitutes like Quorn, you will have to eat more burgers, schnitzels, etc. than you would with meat ones to get the same amount of protein. It also doesn't sound like there was much fibre in your meal either, which would be another reason why you are hungry.

A big¬†baked potato with Heinz beans should have enough protein and fibre to keep you full 'til the next meal¬†ūüôā¬†Likewise, an Indian curry like chana dal with brown rice...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went plant based whole foods at the start of the year, turns out that's vegan. Anyhoo you shouldn't be hungry just from meat not being on your plate. I prep meals for lunch which are the same serve size with meat, without meat and with 'meat substitutes' and i don't notice a difference regarding how long it keeps the munchies at bay.

My tips are for the junk food fix Grill'd beyond burgers & Hungry Jacks rebel whoppers are good.

Also jackfruit makes great 'pulled pork'

Its not as hard or complicated as folk make out, eat a variety its how we evolved

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ich bin nicht ein Roboter

I am a lion

Raar

I eat seafood whenever I can, and have the occasional meat in a meal, but don’t enjoy it that much.  Vegetarian mainly and vegan if it’s available.  So easy these days 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theonetruechris said:

Went plant based whole foods at the start of the year, turns out that's vegan. Anyhoo you shouldn't be hungry just from meat not being on your plate. I prep meals for lunch which are the same serve size with meat, without meat and with 'meat substitutes' and i don't notice a difference regarding how long it keeps the munchies at bay.

My tips are for the junk food fix Grill'd beyond burgers & Hungry Jacks rebel whoppers are good.

Also jackfruit makes great 'pulled pork'

Its not as hard or complicated as folk make out, eat a variety its how we evolved

Yes indeed, but worth noting that humans need vitamin B12 to survive.  Natural vitamin B12 occurs ONLY in animal products.   

These days, there is synthetic B12 and it's present in various fortified foods and in tablet form, so there's no need to eat meat.  But if you are looking for a natural diet, our ancestors must have eaten some animal products or they wouldn't have survived.  

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

One good thing is that because meat is so expensive now, you can save a lot buy using vegetables in a curry instead of chicken or beef.

I have started doing this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Yes, we became vegetarian a few months ago.  Both lifelong meat and fish eaters.  I am 59.

I have surprised myself by not missing meat at all though I am missing fish.

We try to be vegan for at least half of our meals and I have substituted oatmilk on muesli and porridge (and actually prefer it) though still use cows milk in my two coffees per day.

I rarely feel hungry now though I am eating smaller portions than before.  I actually started a diet before becoming vegetarian last November and had lost 3 kilos.  I have managed a further 3 kilos since and am much happier with my overall state of health.

Our 16 year old daughter still eats some meat which is a bit of a nuisance when cooking certain nights but she accepts meat-free for most meals which helps.

• Like 2

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

51 minutes ago, Parley said:

One good thing is that because meat is so expensive now, you can save a lot buy using vegetables in a curry instead of chicken or beef.

Tofu is good with your veggie curries and stirfries. 

I've just had my annual checkup at the Dr's.  Results show very good levels of cholesterol (both the good and the bad), good iron levels, Vitamin D is fine, blood pressure is good and also blood sugar is fine.  I've never had flu and very rarely get a cold so not eating meat has been good for me.  I never liked it much anyway. 

Edited by Toots
  • Congratulations 1

Pescatarian is a good compromise......I have been doing it for the past year without any issues at all......I actually prefer vegetables in curries.......there are loads of options available for meat free sausages and burgers......I have found it quite easy to be honest......my eldest boy started with me......he's what we call a flexitarian......meat free when he can.....I have only been disappointed on one or two occasions and thats when we have been out to restaurants so I have decided that in those situations if there is nothing nice available I would have meat but its not been necessary yet.

• Like 3

WOT? And give up delicious, mouth watering bacon sandwiches, or, heaven forbid, chicken sandwiches?

How about mixed grill?

Vegan? Never!!

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 5

Only meats I do not eat are venison ( hate it) and veal ( aesthetic reasons- felt sorry for the poor things on my grandparents' farm when I was a young kid). Like many, we have a few meat-free meals every week just because we prefer it that way. What I miss these days is rabbit- used to love a rich rabbit stew but it is hard to get now unless you go out shooting.

• Like 1

Not any more.  We were vegetarian for 28 years  before it became trendy (intermittently vegan at times) - our boys were raised vegetarian.  Then one day we woke up and the DH decided to go paleo so we have been paleo (me, basically, him evangelically) ever since.  The youngest son then about 20 tried fish, I think, first when he decided he might follow the rest of the family, but he hated it and it took him some months before he decided to try again - he hasn't looked back and is even more evangelically paleo than the DH if that is possible - shoots and butchers his own animals.

I would find it impossible to be veg now - cant eat gluten any more at all (used to love the Sanitarium rediburger etc), am intolerant to soya, shouldn't have dairy because of intolerance  and there are a few other things which were staples of our vegetarian diet which I cant have any more without significant side effects so basically, paleo works really well for me. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bobj said:

WOT? And give up delicious, mouth watering bacon sandwiches, or, heaven forbid, chicken sandwiches?

How about mixed grill?

Vegan? Never!!

Cheers, Bobj.

Love a mixed grill.  Prawns, bugs, tuna, etc

• Like 3

So it's not my first vegetarian meal ever but my first deliberate vegetarian meal in a long time. Apart from the odd tomato soup, beans on toast etc, I had't gone out and bought something frozen that was vegan. I definitely will do the vegies in curries I used to do that before when I was losing weight. I like baked potatoes and salad and stuff but I will have to keep in mind the great lentil and the great bean. Falafels for lunch today, don't know if I am looking forward to it.

2 minutes ago, belter said:

So it's not my first vegetarian meal ever but my first deliberate vegetarian meal in a long time. Apart from the odd tomato soup, beans on toast etc, I had't gone out and bought something frozen that was vegan. I definitely will do the vegies in curries I used to do that before when I was losing weight. I like baked potatoes and salad and stuff but I will have to keep in mind the great lentil and the great bean. Falafels for lunch today, don't know if I am looking forward to it.

Depends on who made the falafels.  I’ve had some shockers and some beauties 

Never bought a pre prepared veggie meal. Prefer to make my own. Falafel are delicious home made. 

Didn’t know you could actually get a pre prepared veg meal except quiches and maybe lentil curries. I think Australia doesn’t have as many of these meals as they do in the uk - most still prepare and cook meals but I sense things are changing in that way, unfortunately.

8 hours ago, Parley said:

I’d happily eat a vegetable curry. I have a group of friends that I only see twice a year and we always get together at a local Indian restaurant.  We have several dishes on the table and just dig in.  There’s always a few veg ones and they’re nice.  Have to say I would still prefer a chicken one though but veg ones are fine. A few weeks ago I planned making a chilli and I forgot to get the mince out the freezer. I got home from work and thought I still fancy it so I’ll throw some veg in instead.  It was ok and it did the job but it wasn’t as nice.  It certainly wouldn’t be my new way to eat chilli but a curry would be fine without meat. I do have a few days meat free though but don’t live my live around it. Just like to have an omelette or jacket potato and cheese sometimes to break it up.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I’d happily eat a vegetable curry. I have a group of friends that I only see twice a year and we always get together at a local Indian restaurant.  We have several dishes on the table and just dig in.  There’s always a few veg ones and they’re nice.  Have to say I would still prefer a chicken one though but veg ones are fine. A few weeks ago I planned making a chilli and I forgot to get the mince out the freezer. I got home from work and thought I still fancy it so I’ll throw some veg in instead.  It was ok and it did the job but it wasn’t as nice.  It certainly wouldn’t be my new way to eat chilli but a curry would be fine without meat. I do have a few days meat free though but don’t live my live around it. Just like to have an omelette or jacket potato and cheese sometimes to break it up.  

Try a black bean chilli recipe 

3 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Try a black bean chilli recipe 

I did add a can of mixed beans.  It certainly wasn’t horrible, quite nice just not as nice. It’s what you’re used to I guess. 

Oh, alright! when I'm peckish, I'll eat a carrot, or a couple of florets of cauliflower, or a piece of the heart of a cabbage...Happy now???ūüėÄ

My body gives me signs of what to eat. So, I'm in pretty good shape for my age...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 4

So I made the black bean chilli tonight. Delicious!  You do need to up the flavours with Smokey paprika, achote, and cocoa to give the umami you get from meat. Full now but not bloated. I used to make a mixed veg chilli but I much prefer this one  

5946870D-E6C6-4B25-8216-9878C80C2C0E.jpeg.b483a93f22ffa2cef2eb51cd5414fd73.jpeg

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 4