Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

BethanLouise88

189 Visa 1 Year of Australian Experience

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I am currently sitting on 85 points for the 189 Visa as a Secondary School Teacher. 

Age: 31 - 30 points

English Language: Superior - 20 points

Work experience outside Australia: Equal to 5 years - 10 points

Qualifications: Degree - 15 points

Partner: Single - 10 points

 

However, I have been working in Australia on the Holiday Working Visa as a teacher in Victoria. I have completed approximately 11 weeks of at least 20 hours a week. Can I also claim the 1 year Australian experience? Or would I have to have completed the full year. I ask as I saw someone mention this perviously but I cannot seem to find any information on this. 

 

This would take my points to 90. Which would make a significant difference to my application. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

 

Thank you!

 

Bethan  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @BethanLouise88,

Do you have a positive skills assessment from AITSL yet? They are in charge of doing your SES (Skilled Employment Statement) that you’d use to claim your work experience. If you have a suitable skills assessment then gather the evidence you require and apply for an SES. Visit their website for the specific requirements. If it’s comes back as positive then Bob’s your uncle. Good luck 

Forms the AITSL site

When can I apply for a Skilled Employment Statement?

Applicants who have obtained a Skills Assessment Certificate will be eligible to request a Skilled Employment Statement (SES). Only employment undertaken after the date you have met the AITSL skills assessment qualification criterion will be counted as skilled employment. You can request an SES at any time within the two-year period your Skills Assessment Certificate remains valid. Applicants who do not receive a Skills Assessment Certificate are ineligible to apply for an SES.

What type of employment should my application include? 

AITSL can assess skilled employment that was: 

  • completed in any country
  • closely related to your nominated school teacher occupation
  • undertaken within the past 10 years
  • undertaken after the completion of four years of higher education study (including completion of a recognised initial teacher education qualification)
  • undertaken for at least four consecutive weeks and at least 20 hours per week
  • undertaken within a registered school setting or early childhood setting
  • paid employment.

 

What other conditions need to be met?

To be eligible for inclusion in an SES application, your employment in Australia must total at least one year. For employment outside Australia, it must total a minimum of three years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add to the above regarding needing a skills assessment for work experience and qualifications, have you sat the English test to claim the superior points? You can’t just claim that as being a native English speaker. 

Also I don’t think you can claim 11 weeks of part time work as a full year... but the skills assessment will consider your experience and make a determination.

 


Due to escalating bills and budgetary cuts in the NHS, unfortunately, the light at the end of the tunnel has had to be switched off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your responses.

I do have a positive AITSL and also Superior English with PTE  - I have already put in the EOI with 85, just wondering if I could change it. 

I believe I will have to do the SES either way so I will get on with that for the time being. 

I know this is a shot in the dark, but the requirements are a little but murky. I guess no harm in trying. 

 

Bethan :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/02/2020 at 23:29, BethanLouise88 said:

However, I have been working in Australia on the Holiday Working Visa as a teacher in Victoria. I have completed approximately 11 weeks of at least 20 hours a week. Can I also claim the 1 year Australian experience? Or would I have to have completed the full year. I ask as I saw someone mention this perviously but I cannot seem to find any information on this. 

You can't claim work experience points if you are short of the required time.

19 hours ago, BethanLouise88 said:

Thanks for all your responses.

I do have a positive AITSL and also Superior English with PTE  - I have already put in the EOI with 85, just wondering if I could change it. 

I believe I will have to do the SES either way so I will get on with that for the time being. 

I know this is a shot in the dark, but the requirements are a little but murky. I guess no harm in trying. 

There is huge harm in trying to claim points that you are not eligible for. If you claim points that you are not eligible for, the visa will be refused, even if you meet the points requirement without the wrongly claimed points.


Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raul Senise said:

You can't claim work experience points if you are short of the required time.

There is huge harm in trying to claim points that you are not eligible for. If you claim points that you are not eligible for, the visa will be refused, even if you meet the points requirement without the wrongly claimed points.

This is why I was making enquiries. I have 85 points, all of which are fully accounted for. 

I'm looking into the additional 5 for work experience in Australia to potentially change my EOI to 90. But I would not do this without being certain. Hence asking if anyone knew of anything about the issue.

 

The best advice I have recieved is to send off my details to AITSL and complete the SES. (Yes I have a positive AITSL). My understanding is that I would need to complete the SES either way for the visa, so I shall do that and see how it goes. 

'How many hours do I need to work for my employment to be considered?

You must have worked a minimum of 20 hours per week and for at least a continuous four-week period before the employment can be considered as contributing to the requirement of either one year in Australia or three years overseas.'

 

This is from the AITSL and this is why I was asking about whether anyone had any information.

 

Thank you for your responses all 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BethanLouise88 said:

This is why I was making enquiries. I have 85 points, all of which are fully accounted for. 

I'm looking into the additional 5 for work experience in Australia to potentially change my EOI to 90. But I would not do this without being certain. Hence asking if anyone knew of anything about the issue.

 

The best advice I have recieved is to send off my details to AITSL and complete the SES. (Yes I have a positive AITSL). My understanding is that I would need to complete the SES either way for the visa, so I shall do that and see how it goes. 

'How many hours do I need to work for my employment to be considered?

You must have worked a minimum of 20 hours per week and for at least a continuous four-week period before the employment can be considered as contributing to the requirement of either one year in Australia or three years overseas.'

 

This is from the AITSL and this is why I was asking about whether anyone had any information.

 

Thank you for your responses all 🙂

I am a teacher as well and the last time I checked with AITSL (I called them before the new system of email only kicked in) they said that to claim Australian work experience one needs to have completed a full year of teaching IN AUSTRALIA at the time of application for the SES to reflect the same. What you’ve quoted above are their minimum requirement for teaching work experience to be considered. Some teaching positions e.g. early childhood teachers teach in a 5 day *a fortnight* government approved Kindy program that would lock them out if the requirement were 38 hours *per week* in the classroom.

My thoughts are, send them an email with your inquiry and they’ll respond in a week or so. Tell them what you stated that you’ve worked for 11 weeks etc and see what they say. They’re usually pretty good at clearing things up before you commit the odd $200+ for an SES. Good luck 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BethanLouise88 said:

Thanks for all your responses.

I do have a positive AITSL and also Superior English with PTE  - I have already put in the EOI with 85, just wondering if I could change it. 

I believe I will have to do the SES either way so I will get on with that for the time being. 

I know this is a shot in the dark, but the requirements are a little but murky. I guess no harm in trying.

Well, yes there is harm in trying, unless you are so well-off you can afford to waste the application fee.

If it says one year is required, it means one year is required.  


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Afrochic+61 said:

I am a teacher as well and the last time I checked with AITSL (I called them before the new system of email only kicked in) they said that to claim Australian work experience one needs to have completed a full year of teaching IN AUSTRALIA at the time of application for the SES to reflect the same. What you’ve quoted above are their minimum requirement for teaching work experience to be considered. Some teaching positions e.g. early childhood teachers teach in a 5 day *a fortnight* government approved Kindy program that would lock them out if the requirement were 38 hours *per week* in the classroom.

My thoughts are, send them an email with your inquiry and they’ll respond in a week or so. Tell them what you stated that you’ve worked for 11 weeks etc and see what they say. They’re usually pretty good at clearing things up before you commit the odd $200+ for an SES. Good luck 🙂

Great! I shall do this. Thank you! This is really useful. 🙂

 

25 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Well, yes there is harm in trying, unless you are so well-off you can afford to waste the application fee.

If it says one year is required, it means one year is required.  

Seems slightly abrupt for a help and advice forum...but I am making enquiries and appreciate your feedback. Helpful advice has been really useful to me. I do not see the harm in asking questions. As now I have had some positive insight to what I need to do. I can assure you I would not be making any steps in regards to money without throughly investigating first, I do not wish to jeopardise my chances, just ensure I am giving myself the best opportunity to be successful...I personally do not see the harm in that.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BethanLouise88 said:

Seems slightly abrupt for a help and advice forum...but I am making enquiries and appreciate your feedback. Helpful advice has been really useful to me. I do not see the harm in asking questions. As now I have had some positive insight to what I need to do. I can assure you I would not be making any steps in regards to money without throughly investigating first, I do not wish to jeopardise my chances, just ensure I am giving myself the best opportunity to be successful...I personally do not see the harm in that.   

Yes, no harm in making enquiries.  When you said "no harm in trying", I thought you were proposing to try doing the skills assessment or even apply for the visa, both of which would be a waste of money at this point.  

You'll find many people here will give you facts, which is what you need.  It's usually best if those aren't dressed up in a lot of polite waffle, because that can obscure the message.


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/02/2020 at 23:29, BethanLouise88 said:

Hello,

 

I am currently sitting on 85 points for the 189 Visa as a Secondary School Teacher. 

Age: 31 - 30 points

English Language: Superior - 20 points

Work experience outside Australia: Equal to 5 years - 10 points

Qualifications: Degree - 15 points

Partner: Single - 10 points

 

However, I have been working in Australia on the Holiday Working Visa as a teacher in Victoria. I have completed approximately 11 weeks of at least 20 hours a week. Can I also claim the 1 year Australian experience? Or would I have to have completed the full year. I ask as I saw someone mention this perviously but I cannot seem to find any information on this. 

 

This would take my points to 90. Which would make a significant difference to my application. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

 

Thank you!

 

Bethan  

 

I recently did the EOI for 189 visa (I have 80 points) and I got advice from several different people advising me that this wasn't enough points to get invited, seems that you need 90-95 at least. This was confirmed by checking skillselect invitation rounds for the last few months, where I don't think anyone with less than 90 got invited.

I took the advice of applying for 190 sponsorship, I did VIC as I've been living here for the last year and a half and already working here as a teacher. Two months later I got an invitation to apply. I'd really recommend looking into it as I don't think you'll have much of a chance with 85 the for 189! Although you do have to commit to living and working in the state for 2 years... for me it wasn't an issue as I would have been here anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×